Show your work! Uchigumori and co...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard coarse stones are a big help. Can’t let much slurry build up on anything under 800 grit. And, counter intuitively, using less pressure when pushing towards the shinogi rather than using more to try and control it gives better results. Feels scary but works. Also mastering working with the scratches fully perpendicular to the edge is helpful for shaping.
Thanks!

I don’t understand how you would end up with scratches on the hira🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh trust me, I can do it… 😬
IMG_1552.jpeg

I slurry often from 100-12000 and never have this happen. I think it could have to do with a lack of blade control?

Often times I’m doing the opposite of the other sharpeners here, so take that with a grain of salt😂

I slurry often from 100-12000 and never have this happen. I think it could have to do with a lack of blade control?

Often times I’m doing the opposite of the other sharpeners here, so take that with a grain of salt😂
I think you're probably right. The photo above was a bit of a joke example from some (over)agressive thinning on a knife I was playing pretty fast and loose with (bc I'm going to refinish the hira after initial thinning anyway), but I think your point still stands. I do feel like my softer, coarse stones can create scratches slightly past the apex of the shinogi in a way the harder fine stones obviously don't, but I think this is probably me being too agressive/impatient on the coarse stones and not focusing enough on control.

Found this gem in the pile of mystery box, decided to spend some time and reveal it's true colors, shout out to my friend for letting me in his work shop using some machinery. And such a great piece of shigefusa, thought Tokifusa Iizuka would be really glad to see this.

And really this ultimately spent me like 200USD maximum ( it's a 350000yen mystery box with like 14 knives in it although the other ones are in pretty bad condition and less valuable)

Working and working again on my mirror polishing technique. I don't think I've ever achieved such a beautiful mirror effect. There are still some artifacts from the last few months' use, but the goal was to further refine my mirroring technique. I don't know why a mirror effect enchants me so much, but it's really gratifying to achieve this finish by hand.

Some restoration projects done lately, my favorite have to be the yanagiba duet. 270s and 300s in my favorite katsumi finish. Planning to put them in action another day for practicing customizing sheath.

I finally got a nice polish on this yanagiba I got from my grandfather. Interestingly enough, my lvl 4.5 nakayama seems to give me the cleanest polish when using high pressure and long strokes with a little slurry. Using light pressure is what gives me stray scratches. I could've spent a little longer cleaning up the finish, but being new to the craft, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• 20230917_205412.mp4
    8.5 MB
Do you prefer the belts over water wheel?
Well matter of a fact, I've only tried traditional hamono water wheels once at yamawaki and there's a lot to it, it cuts faster so it is harder to control and use, it is harder to do maintenance takes a very skilled professional to adjust and level the wheels, also it is very expensive although it basically lasts for decades. I'd worked on belt most of the time and liked it a lot.

Some restoration projects done lately, my favorite have to be the yanagiba duet. 270s and 300s in my favorite katsumi finish. Planning to put them in action another day for practicing customizing sheath.
View attachment 269833
View attachment 269827
View attachment 269828
View attachment 269829
View attachment 269830
View attachment 269831
View attachment 269832
Huh? Wasn't this Xinguo's work and his shop? Or are you him? I saw the video somewhere else but someone more familiar can comment @blokey

oHuh? Wasn't this Xinguo's work and his shop? Or are you him? I saw the video somewhere else but someone more familiar can comment @blokey
Thats kinda sus, definitely seen it before in xinguo's work. He's either himself or capping cuz I think xinguo's in Guangzhou but he's from tianjing. But ngl tho, I feel like his other post's voice sounds familiar, prob heard it som ewhere from a stone retailer. maybe he's his friend or somin? he did say he's borrowing this workshop from a friend of his in another post. I'd say he either his friend or customer, or he just capping

I finally got a nice polish on this yanagiba I got from my grandfather. Interestingly enough, my lvl 4.5 nakayama seems to give me the cleanest polish when using high pressure and long strokes with a little slurry. Using light pressure is what gives me stray scratches. I could've spent a little longer cleaning up the finish, but being new to the craft, I'm pretty happy with the results.
Really nicely done! I love what I see here 🙂

Thats kinda sus, definitely seen it before in xinguo's work. He's either himself or capping cuz I think xinguo's in Guangzhou but he's from tianjing. But ngl tho, I feel like his other post's voice sounds familiar, prob heard it som ewhere from a stone retailer. maybe he's his friend or somin? he did say he's borrowing this workshop from a friend of his in another post. I'd say he either his friend or customer, or he just capping
Yeah I talked to Simon about this and he just created an account to clear things up, Xinguo's in Shanghai now BTW

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/rwl34-daily-use.67524/#post-1037611

I want to show you the project I'm working on these days!

I finally decided to take the plunge and ordered myself a custom honyaki knife. Here is the magnificent work of the lovely @MSicardCutlery . It's a 225mm Sheffcut honyaki gyuto, oil quenched, ~65 HRC with midare hamon and subtle ashi. I am simply captivated by Matt's work and our various exchanges discussing honyaki blades. The geometry is perfect, its work is impeccable and above all this blade is simply magnificent...

Since I love polishing and am starting to develop an unhealthy passion for honyaki blades, I received this one with a 320 grit finish. The goal was to polish everything to mirror and bring out this magnificent hamon and let the ashi come to life. I will etch it today with ferric chloride after making some tests on another honyaki blade before.

So here is the result of the mirror effect that I created during my days off from sharpening at the store 😅 I'm so proud and happy to have achieved this. If you know me, I just love that finish and I'm working really hard to improve my mirror polishing technique.

Next task is to etch this beauty, polishing it, making a custom handle and of course using it 🙂

Etching is finally done and it was quite a ride!

This was my first time working with ferric chloride and boy is it fast. I'm so happy with the result and the mirror finish goes really well with this midare hamon. I managed to bring out as much of the ashi as possible and it's simply beautiful. My most beautiful polish to this date for sure..

I think I spent 15 minutes watching the hamon last night with all the lights possible! So this is just a little preview! I will post the final result as soon as I have finished the handle and fine-tuned the polishing.

D0347415-A6C1-4A99-8AEC-02315814B93D.jpeg0104583A-C72E-4B0C-875D-498B58D0DE87.jpeg

Etching is finally done and it was quite a ride!

This was my first time working with ferric chloride and boy is it fast. I'm so happy with the result and the mirror finish goes really well with this midare hamon. I managed to bring out as much of the ashi as possible and it's simply beautiful. My most beautiful polish to this date for sure..

I think I spent 15 minutes watching the hamon last night with all the lights possible! So this is just a little preview! I will post the final result as soon as I have finished the handle and fine-tuned the polishing.

View attachment 270450View attachment 270451View attachment 270452
Bravo as always…just insanely good

Thought I’d test the bevels on my newish wrought bunka from Maillet to see if they really are stone ready.

They are… but this knife was pretty warped OOTB, and required some creative problem solving, time, and swearing to straighten out before I could put it on the stones. I’ve heard this is common with his knives, but at least it’s reasonably straightforward to fix.

Anyway - I slapped it straight onto my narutaki suita and sure enough it took a nice enough working polish from stock.

Absolutely worth the straightening malarkey if it means I don’t have to spend hours on synths just to get the bevels set for polishing imo.

IMG_8648.jpeg

IMG_8644.jpeg

IMG_8654.jpeg

Last edited:
Back