Takeda -or- Fujiwara

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opinion

Both can get very sharp, both have very good edge retention, although I give it to denka for edge retention, takeda is less brittle, denka is easier to sharpen, takeda has unmatchable food release, but it does have wedging, takeda has flex, denka is rock solid, profile superiority is based on preference...

I personally prefer denka because it gets very sharp for an aogami super steel, it has insane edge retention, and can hold 8000-12000 grit edges for a long time, it is a little brittle, but you're not supposed to cut hard things with carbon steel blades anyways, it is not picky about stones, it is comfortable to hold, at least for me, and it happens to be a thin gyuto that is not super light like those of sakai. It is my current favorite knife in aogami super.

I am currently testing out a couple of Yoshikazu Tanaka's aogami super steel, which I think might be the one true rival for denka steel.

How do TF's and Takeda's knives compare to a JCK Deep Impact?

My biggest impression with Takeda is how thin and how light it is. The one I had was like 150 gram for a really huge 240 (252*68). The spine was 1.5mm thick in the middle. It is the most flexible 240 gyuto I've ever handled and it might be the most flexible gyuto ever made. Denka, on the other hand, is super rigid.

@shinyunggyun hit the important points I think.

They’re very, very different knives. TF AS is truly gold standard but Takeda’s prelams are no slouch either. Fujiwara’s seems to stay toothy/grabby longer.

In my kitchen I use the denka for most anything, Takeda for large volumes of most anything. It doubles as likely the largest food scoop available.

My only couple gripes with Takeda is it seems like the asymmetry is left biased. I’m fixing this over time and I don’t know if it’s going to reduce the steering that goes on atm, and how naturally uncomfortable the choil is (too thin). These are more subjective user-related issues.

Which one’s better? ….. I think denka is objectively better. Which one would I keep if I could only keep one? Takeda. Hands down. I laugh every time it comes off the wall because it’s so ridiculous. The only stipulation is you need 270mm+. Which is 1/2 the price of a 210 denka.

Takeda gyutos feel like a no-nonsense blade. A dependable, sturdy gyuto with great release and retention. Never had much problem with rust even with its AS version. It is lighter and more flexible than most blades i own, but it would be one knife i would choose to keep if i had to sell most of my blades.

Denkas are definitely more rigid, cut superbly, but it's not as versatile as it's not as sturdy. However, it's the kind of delicacy that sometimes is present on high-end products.

Have Takeda AS Small (210mm or so). Absolutely love how it performs. It does have an arrow like grind (not too sure of the right term for it. S-grind perhaps or some other). The grind makes the food release pretty good. The quality of the knife finish is really good. It is extremely thin and light for its size and feels like it will bend when cutting food. However, once you put the knife to the test, you will soon realise that despite it being thin and light it is a great cutter. I've tried all sorts, from herbs to squashes and pumpkins. Absolutely great! You will not get disappointed one bit. My knife is about 6 months old and I am yet to sharpen it. It holds the edge really well. I just stropped it every other use and it still splits hairs in most places along the edge. One of the best cutters in my collection (Watanabes, Toyamas, Shigs, Shuns and a few German made knives). I don't have a TF though.

Yes, I would avoid both....

Too many Takeda's wedge and too many wonky grinds with TF. For the kind of money that both of these costs, there are too many excellent knives out there that are ready to rock ootb with excellent grinds, F&F and you don't have to worry about wedging. I'm not looking to spend $400+ on a "project knife." If you are then eeny meeny miny moe works for this choice.

Last edited:
I can’t speak to TF, as I have never owned one. But their reputation as wonky or wabi-sabi has kept me away from trying one. So I understand. I don’t want a $400 project knife either.

As for Takeda, I own about 6 of them - No wedging - except the Honesuki if I try to cut a butternut squash 🥸

I guess I have just been lucky with Takedas, but I have heard of the wedging issue and I understand your comment.

Q: Thoughts on the brands/makers you would consider instead of TF or Takeda?

Yes. The answer is yes.

Takeda gyuto 270 and 210 denka are consistently the first knives off the wall for prep. Together they can do just about anything.

Back