TF Chronicles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a western, but I picked up a WA 195 Denka nakiri from the store in Tokyo a month ago. I ordered about six months ahead and just asked for something on the taller side and thinner.

There's a rough grind spot at the heel and it's a little thicker at the tip than the heel but I'm happy. The handle install isn't the neatest I've ever seen, but it's straight and I love the handle itself.

The people there were all lovely and super helpful, and let me play with a few Denka cleavers while I was poking around the shop. They gave me a few little gifts including a pretty cool TF tenugui, and organised to deliver the knife back to my hotel as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6381.jpg
    IMG_6381.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6379.jpg
    IMG_6379.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6376.jpg
    IMG_6376.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6375.jpg
    IMG_6375.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 0
Very interesting, thanks. I'll actually be in Tokyo in April/May, so I can check the store out (again). I was there in November 2022 and they had no 210mm Denkas on hand, and the ones they did have (non-210mm) were in real rough shape.

I chatted with the guy at the desk at the time and he said that in terms of custom orders, they could do anything that would fit in their standard box, lol. We measured it out and he said they could do a 58-60mm tall santoku, if I remember correctly.

Yeah mine came out at 195 X 60 and 255 grams with the ebony handle. They didn't have a heap of stock when I was there, but there was stuff not on display including the two cleavers they pulled out for me.

I flipped back and forth a few times between just showing up and seeing what they had so that I could take a good look at things, or ordering ahead of time to make sure they had what I wanted.

Yeah mine came out at 195 X 60 and 255 grams with the ebony handle. They didn't have a heap of stock when I was there, but there was stuff not on display including the two cleavers they pulled out for me.

I flipped back and forth a few times between just showing up and seeing what they had so that I could take a good look at things, or ordering ahead of time to make sure they had what I wanted.

Wow, that's amazing! Did you have to pay anything extra, or just the normal price?

This is my first post!

I ordered a 270mm Denka gyuto this past year and the construction and FF were fine. When I ordered it I did mention FF to the TF guy (who’s name I forget), as a concern of mine and was assured that while there was a blip in QC at TF they now have things back in control. I’m not sure how much that’s worth.

The knife is pretty beefy but I like that kind of blade.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
This is my first post!

I ordered a 270mm Denka gyuto this past year and the construction and FF were fine. When I ordered it I did mention FF to the TF guy (who’s name I forget), as a concern of mine and was assured that while there was a blip in QC at TF they now have things back in control. I’m not sure how much that’s worth.

The knife is pretty beefy but I like that kind of blade.
Excellent! It's the kind of knife I would love.

I believe I see some grind marks on the bolster, so it looks as though you got some Wabi Sabi without any compromise to performance. I have a Denka nakiri with those kind of marks.

this might be the only svelt one in existence?

best knife I've ever had, it checks every single one or my boxes. only thing it could use is some rounding, that's it. perfect profile grind and steel. even the cladding is very non reactive, could not be happier! View attachment 306015
So... is this the Morihei Hisamoto?
Pardon my ignorance...

Sweet profile!

this might be the only svelt one in existence?

best knife I've ever had, it checks every single one or my boxes. only thing it could use is some rounding, that's it. perfect profile grind and steel. even the cladding is very non reactive, could not be happier! View attachment 306015
Preaching to the choir my friend, preaching to the choir. Those who know know

And these definitely are in-house forged, probably by a septuagenarian.

the tf had its first trip to stones today, only a 30 second touch up on takashima and it felt freaking awesome.

my other morihei in sks steel however did not go so well, had to jump back down to gessh 4k.

the tf had its first trip to stones today, only a 30 second touch up on takashima and it felt freaking awesome.

my other morihei in sks steel however did not go so well, had to jump back down to gessh 4k.
That doesn't sound that dramatic, does it?

Latest posts

Back