TF = fat baby.... But this fat baby can cut like a mofo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up some stubby little TF Denkas
  • 180 Santoku
  • 165 Nakiri
  • 125 Petty
These guys are the Danny DeVito of knives. Short and stocky with plenty of extra in the midsection. They're definitely not my first choice for cutting carrots quietly. But for the other tasks I have tried they are pretty damn impressive. What magic powder does he mix into the steel when forging it?

1666744088880.png

Is the love for TF just people discovering they like heavier knives?
Not a bad theory, but I don't think that's it?

My guess from my own limited experience is that it's some combination of

1. The edge that came on it is incredibly sharp
2. The convex bevel shape and polish somehow create the right recipe for gliding through certain kinds of food. There's a lot more to cutting feel than a sharp edge.

Yes I know #1 is not that important because it's easy to sharpen a knife. But #2 is harder.

I see a lot of folks thin their TFs right away. Does this actually make the knife better? If so it basically blows my theory #2 above.

I think we all can agree it’s certainly not aesthetics 😛

Not a bad theory, but I don't think that's it?

My guess from my own limited experience is that it's some combination of

1. The edge that came on it is incredibly sharp
2. The convex bevel shape and polish somehow create the right recipe for gliding through certain kinds of food. There's a lot more to cutting feel than a sharp edge.

Yes I know #1 is not that important because it's easy to sharpen a knife. But #2 is harder.

I see a lot of folks thin their TFs right away. Does this actually make the knife better? If so it basically blows my theory #2 above.
Yeah it might come down to who sharpens the knife. My TF was convex but in all the wrong ways and the tip was terrible. Basically the entire KU portion was incredibly thick, and the left side is very convex too early.

1 is true IME. Somehow the bevel line is wavy but one of the sharpest OOTB edges. I think the first impression makes a big difference

Maybe I'm thinking of a different line of knives but aren't these super thin BTE. I can hardly see any polished edges in the pictures. I somewhat doubt it has anything to do with the steel itself given how dramatic the effect is.
Many of them are very thin behind the edge, some almost feel and look slightly concave on the bevel.

Back