Thanksgiving 2023: Moodboard

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting slow. I had one turkey wing, and with the neck and bits, I am making the broth NOW.

I'll make the butternut squash tonight, and just warm it tomorrow.

Turkey has reached the air dry/pellicle stage:
IMG_0470.jpeg

Dessert has changed to a scratch pumpkin pie and a scratch French silk pie. Probably going to do the sous vide Brussels sprouts with pine nuts too.

We are cooking a 20 lb turkey in the oven and smoking a 12 lb ham in my smoker. The kids and grandkids take a lot of leftovers home with them. I also like to make a turkey and broccoli casserole with curry using turkey leftovers.

For a small Thanksgiving dinner for three this year, I braised turkey drumsticks and a Toulouse sausage with carrot, onion, parsley, and fresh thyme (would normally use celery too but it was $8 a bunch) for 2 1/2 hours, then drained off the liquid and combined that with roux for gravy while finishing the drumsticks and carrots and whatnot roasted uncovered at higher heat. Had that with mashed potatoes, roast sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce (made with fresh mandarin juice and peel), and flat beans (steamed, shocked in ice water, then seared in a skillet and dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and salt). Pretty good!

We’re picking up our fresh turkey tomorrow. I use an apple cider brine, and we always smoke them.

With the smoked turkey, I think:
  • Turkey gravy
  • Chestnut and brioche dressing
  • Roast brussels sprouts
  • Sautéed spinach
  • Roast carrots
  • Garlic mashed potatoes
  • Either steamed or roast sweet potatoes (only salt and butter added)
  • Scratch cranberry relish
  • Pumpkin pie
Nice traditional spread. The smoked turkey sounds awesome, wished I had a yard for smoking.

For a small Thanksgiving dinner for three this year, I braised turkey drumsticks and a Toulouse sausage with carrot, onion, parsley, and fresh thyme (would normally use celery too but it was $8 a bunch) for 2 1/2 hours, then drained off the liquid and combined that with roux for gravy while finishing the drumsticks and carrots and whatnot roasted uncovered at higher heat. Had that with mashed potatoes, roast sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce (made with fresh mandarin juice and peel), and flat beans (steamed, shocked in ice water, then seared in a skillet and dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and salt). Pretty good!
Drums and sausage, great flavorful combo right there. I do prefer dark meat, but doing a turkey breast since it’s a smallish gathering and white meat’s more popular.

An excellently executed breasts is better than dark me for me, but it’s a difficult goal as well. I nailed it once, maybe. A breast only is about 500% more costly that a whole bird around my parts. Jagged pull.

My 2023 tday gravy is having some potential. I made the best turkey stock yesterday. Ended up with almost two quarts of gelatinous gold. I’ll have enough for a soup later.
my wife almost put a dent into my butternut squash soup yesterday. haha. I added some fresh ginger.

Okay, we're dialed in and executing so I'm confident posting now. My 82YO mother in law asked to keep it fairly traditional. But that's cool, it can still be yummy! I threw in a couple subtle twists. :)

So turkey broke down yesterday and majority is dry brining. Just four of us so saved a few parts for another day. Stock is made and ready for gravy.

Cranberry sauce was also made yesterday. I also sauteed up some Italian sausage, green apples and yellow onions. This will be served in portobello mushrooms that I'll cook today and then topped with grated parmesan.

- Mashed potatoes
- Stuffing
- Green beans
- Roast Brussel sprouts atop parmesan crisps and drizzled with Balsamic
- Mashed Japanese sweet potatoes with bacon and sage then lightly topped with maple syrup and butter

Last edited:
be honest. how long does your average Thanksgiving lunch/dinner, weird 3:00pm meal last? I remember as a kid my mom and auntie cooking the day before, the entire morning, setting it out on the table, and ringing the dinner bell.

15-30 minutes later us kids where back outside throwing dirt clods at each other. hahaha...

I hope to pump the brakes today and spend some nice table talk time with the wife. 45 minutes tops. hahahah

So far its shaping up as 2 sticks of butter per person in various dishes. That seems to be a good recipe.
hahahahahah..

me being me, I have one Glove on my left hand because I forgot to practice knife tip awareness. I stabbed chef knife into my middle finger. hahahahah..

I am 90% cleaver guy, so I forgot some knives have pointy ends.

Latest posts

Back