Thanksgiving 2023: Moodboard

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
What're y'all cooking up for Thanksgiving? I'm finally set on this year's Thanksgiving menu—wanted something eclectic, spice driven, with a good assortment for a vegetarian at the table, i.e., two different gravies. The Smoked Boudin was bought on my last trip to NOLA. Now, to choose my knife set, sharpen, etc.

THANKSGIVING MENU // NOVEMBER 23, 2023 // BROOKLYN

Charcuterie Board—paté, salumi, cheese, cornichons, cracker, Bengali chanachur, radish

Roasted Organic Turkey Breast—Texas spice rub
Gravy No. 1—charred chicken, sage, cognac, Cajun roux
Gravy No. 2—caramelized onion, Turkish urfa biber pepper, Cajun roux (v)
Indian Spiced Cranberry Sauce
—garam masala, ginger (v)
Roasted Potatoes
—rosemary, garlic, ramen pepper (v)
Sourdough Bread Stuffing (v)
Cajun smoked boudin with mustard

Chana Masala/Chickpea Curry—Bengali spice, mustard oil, coriander leaf (v)
Cucumber raita (v)
Skillet Brussels Sprouts and Asparagus
—nước chấm, mint, coriander leaf
Palestinian Chopped Salad/Salata Falahiyeh
—cucumber, tomato, scallion, lemon (v)
Mexican Street Corn Salad
—cotija cheese, Kewpie mayonnaise, Tajín, yogurt, coriander leaf, lime (v)

Ras el Hanout Spiced Apple Pie a la Mode—ras el hanout, vanilla ice cream (v)

This looks awesome. Idk if you've cooked boudin before but I like to throw it in the air fryer or toaster oven (grill or regular oven is fine too) to get the casing as crispy as possible. Makes it much easier to cut and also eat. Boiled casing is gross as hell.

On the Cajun note; it's just me and the woman for Thanksgiving this year so I'm making a double batch of crawfish pie filling. Will make a regular pie and have some raw oysters for us on Thursday, then use the leftover filling to make handpies/empanadas for a big Friendsgiving on Friday.

This looks awesome. Idk if you've cooked boudin before but I like to throw it in the air fryer or toaster oven (grill or regular oven is fine too) to get the casing as crispy as possible. Makes it much easier to cut and also eat. Boiled casing is gross as hell.

On the Cajun note; it's just me and the woman for Thanksgiving this year so I'm making a double batch of crawfish pie filling. Will make a regular pie and have some raw oysters for us on Thursday, then use the leftover filling to make handpies/empanadas for a big Friendsgiving on Friday.
TBH, I’ve eaten, but never cooked boudin. Watched a video where it was boiled, then browned in a skillet. Would you recommend skipping the boiling part?

TBH, I’ve eaten, but never cooked boudin. Watched a video where it was boiled, then browned in a skillet. Would you recommend skipping the boiling part?
Yeah I never boil, by the time it's in the oven/grill etc long enough to get crispy it's gonna be cooked properly. If you were just pan searing then yeah I guess the boiling might be a good idea

Considered boning out turkey legs instead? Or going full Pepin and deboning an entire bird? Not that we have a turkey tradition here but I've always universally preferred the leg meat over the breast meat because it just has a lot more flavor, and as a bonus it's also more forgiving in preparation. Boning it out and basically turning it into a fillet gives you the best of both worlds (because I understand people often prefer that boneless experience).

Considered boning out turkey legs instead? Or going full Pepin and deboning an entire bird? Not that we have a turkey tradition here but I've always universally preferred the leg meat over the breast meat because it just has a lot more flavor, and as a bonus it's also more forgiving in preparation. Boning it out and basically turning it into a fillet gives you the best of both worlds (because I understand people often prefer that boneless experience).
FWIW, I typically prefer a turkey’s dark meat. I would’ve like to have gotten a whole turkey, but since it’s a meal for only 6 people, I couldn’t find a small enough bird—the turkeys available were 12 pounds up, this breast is about 7.5 pounds. Also, the menu is abound with dark, intense, burnt flavors, the mildness of white meat felt like a better contrast, plus white meat is more popular (I don’t know my guests preferences). Note: cheap pink knife a gift from my mom, I’d used it in Hawaii before I started traveling with my knife roll.

CE6E4185-FB49-44F6-B0C7-73E2C21C81D2.jpeg

I started doing “Turchetta“ a few years ago and now the white meat contingent all but demands it. It allows for very tidy slicing/leftovers/sandwiches, and I get to make stock from the carcass ahead of time.

I’ve tried braising, confit, and sous vide but settled on roasting the dark meat in pieces.

i found a 10 lb turkey!!! it is still too big for me and my wife, but i expect i will take big plates to at least three old seniors living alone. they NEVER want to come eat at my house. whatever makes them comfortable.

i am going old school simple. working from the bottom up on the menu.

basic green stuff. whatever i find at my local farmers market that is fresh.
Butternut squash soup.
a baked potato.
stuffing made out of a bespoke cibbata bread loaf, and home butchered country sausage.
turkey.
and the best damn gravy i can muster. i have a few turkey wings and parts ready to go.

dessert will be a Haa-gendaz ice cream bar. :D. i'm chinese, and dessert isnt my jam.

We’re picking up our fresh turkey tomorrow. I use an apple cider brine, and we always smoke them.

With the smoked turkey, I think:
  • Turkey gravy
  • Chestnut and brioche dressing
  • Roast brussels sprouts
  • Sautéed spinach
  • Roast carrots
  • Garlic mashed potatoes
  • Either steamed or roast sweet potatoes (only salt and butter added)
  • Scratch cranberry relish
  • Pumpkin pie

oh, I am not gonna brine my bird. I am going to copiously salt it and wrap it in plastic for a 24 hours relax in my fridge.

For dry brining it's better to leave it uncovered. Dries out the skin which allows it to crisp up better. Just make sure your fridge temp is low enough.

I did a dry brine for a spatched 15 pounder for 36hrs uncovered In my garage fridge for Friendsgiving. Easiest turkey to date. Fumbled with the wet brine on a cooler and a bunch of bags of ice in previous years.

Also... something worth considering when dry brining if you know the weight of the meat, is to measure out the salt by weight. That way you know you're in the right ballpark.

Ended up making a compound butter as a finishing “baste” so I could include all of the classic Thanksgiving herbs on the bird without worry of burn during the roast.

Ended up making a compound butter as a finishing “baste” so I could include all of the classic Thanksgiving herbs on the bird without worry of burn during the roast.
I do something similar for my potatoes; I make an infused oil with garlic and herbs and use that, instead of throwing herbs and garlic in the oven only for half of it to burn or end up like dried pine needles.

Back