The best dutch oven/casserole pot

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a LC dutch oven a few years ago that the enamel chipped, flaked or something in a small area of the bottom. No idea what happened or if I was responsible in some way. Given how famous the brand is I thought maybe they came with some kind of great guarantee. Wrong, very nasty, demanding, accusing and unsympathetic customer service. Needed original receipt, name of the store I bought it in, details on how the oven was used, return of the oven for inspection at my expense, etc. etc. etc. Still, the general tone of the conversation was they weren't going to do anything about it. End of my relationship with the brand.:)

Their coating is ****...but they're insanely cheap.

I've never seen one damaged to the point we couldn't use it, and Lord knows our dishwashers tried.
Lol....yes, dishwashers try hard.
To me, cast iron shines because of heat retention and even heat distribution.
Absolutely right.
I am using an oval cast iron casserole with lid, which I bought from Lidl (a german chain, similar to Aldi in the UK). Very happy with it, just the white enamel inside became brownish...
stephen129, asked if there are other brands - yes, sure there are. One of the is LAVA (a Turkish factory), which has a sales office in UK, too - CONTACT US — lavacookware.co.uk
I have one of their cast iron grill pan Ø 28 cm with glass lid and I am really happy with it .

I've seen the Lodge dutch oven with the skillet lid. That's a cool design! For making bread, I don't see the point of enamel either. What matters there is the cast iron.

Enamel is easy to clean. But not that much easier than stainless steel that I'd call it a huge difference. To me, cast iron shines because of heat retention and even heat distribution. And, if I want that heat retention, I really do want the enamel as well, because it is non-reactive. Doing an acidic stew for eight hours in cast iron pot wouldn't work all that well, I imagine. (At least not if I care about the seasoning; but otherwise, it'll work perfectly. It's simply a trade-off between preserving the seasoning and being able to use it for acidic foods.)

When I grew up, every single pot and pan my parents used was enamelled. Stainless steel pans were unheard of back then. They worked, and they lasted forever. It's basically cooking on something very much like glass, but with some thermal mass for heat retention and distribution. It works.

Cast iron doesn't actually heat evenly though. If you place a burner on one side of a cast iron pan, it will be much hotter on one side.

Heat distribution properties are highly dependent on heat source. Off center on a stove top wouldn't be ideal. However, baking bread or roasting meat in an oven, the heat distribution will be much more uniform.

True! The same properties that allow cast iron to retain heat impact how evenly it heats up.
ATK recommend preheating skillet in the oven instead of on cooktop.

I was pointing out that Michi claimed that cast iron has even heat distribution.
Yes and no. You are right: cast iron isn't a great heat conductor, which is why you see hot spots on a burner. On the other hand, it retains heat really well. And because it has large thermal mass, if there is a (mild) hot spot somewhere, that hot spot dissipates into the pot quite evenly.

Where that matters is inside an oven. Most ovens have hotter and cooler areas. Put a dutch oven in there, and the dutch oven will even out those temperature differences so, inside the pot, the temperature is pretty much uniform.

A lot of the time, this doesn't really matter. If I have soup or a stew in the pot (in an oven or on the stove top), convection will take care of moving the liquid from the hotter areas to the cooler areas. In effect, the liquid takes an the role of a heat conductor by moving around toward the cooler areas and even out the heat distribution.

Where it does matter is when baking bread, or when doing pretty much anything in an oven. With cast iron, you'll get more even heating from all sides, which is nice for making good bread.

For the record: I'm not married to cast iron. I have cast iron, stainless steel, and clad non-stick skillets. And I have oven-proof pots in stainless, enamelled cast iron, non-stick aluminium, and glass. They all do a useful job for different dishes. For stews, braises, and baking, the Le Creuset is my favourite though. It really does the job better than any of my other pots.

Where that matters is inside an oven. Most ovens have hotter and cooler areas. Put a dutch oven in there, and the dutch oven will even out those temperature differences so, inside the pot, the temperature is pretty much uniform.

A lot of the time, this doesn't really matter. If I have soup or a stew in the pot (in an oven or on the stove top), convection will take care of moving the liquid from the hotter areas to the cooler areas. In effect, the liquid takes an the role of a heat conductor by moving around toward the cooler areas and even out the heat distribution.

So one day I was making an oxtail stew that was supposed to go into the oven, and I misjudged the volume having to split it out of the stainless steel dutch oven, moving about half of it into my Lodge Cast Iron dutch oven. Both pots went into the oven, side by side, and a couple of hours later came out. The stew out of the cast iron was noticeably better tasting.

I have had a full set of LC for 30 years. They have a lifetime warranty and I have never had an issue with getting a pan replaced. I’ve replaced every pot and pan at least once with no issues at all. I’ve also only had one that chipped and that was our fault. I had one fry pan crack but that’s out of around 20 pans over the years. My wife and I both do a lot of cooking so we have worn the bottom of the pans out over time. Honestly they are one of the best investments we have ever made. The nonstick coating on the fry pans we first got 30 years ago failed after several years but the replacements have been fine. The other enamel coated pots eventually wear out but with a life time warranty how can you lose?

LC is great with the warranty and all, I have a couple of pieces, but I've owned and used brands you find at overstock stores plus the Sur la Table house brand that have up just as well. One of the "knock offs" I have bakes bread much more evenly than my Staub, side by side, same dough and temp the Staub cooks darker on the bottom.

I have a few more thoughts in general about enameled cast iron.

I think @parbaked mentioned preheating cast iron in the oven instead of on the stove top. This is EXTREMELY important for the enameled dutch ovens. It's also important how you do it. Heating empty enameled cast iron on the stove top is the easiest way to make the finish chip or crack. The next easiest way is placing a cold empty enameled cast iron into a really hot oven. If you need to have a hot pan for doing a sear for a braise, or a stir fry or something, here's what I would do. Put a cold dutch oven into a mild (275-300 F / 135-150 C) oven for five or ten minutes. Not too long or you can crack the enamel. Then pull it out, throw it on a burner on the stove top and immediately start cooking something.

Never throw a hot enamel cast iron into standing water or add a bunch of liquid to an empty hot dutch oven. There is some give to the enamel but if the cast iron is empty then it can heat up or cool down too fast and warp a little and that cracks the porcelain. Never use metal utensils or steel wool because they can scratch the enamel. Follow these rules and even a cheap one should last you for the rest of your life.

Le Creuset is still the champ in my mind. The biggest difference is in fit and finish. Good enameled cast iron is kind of similar to its porcelain cousin bone china. The best fine china has the lightest thinnest, but still very strong walls. It takes the most craftsmanship to create, has a higher rate of failure, and is thus more expensive. All of this is true with Le Creuset. They are the best fit and finish and the proof is that they are the lightest per volume of all the major makers. Lodge is fine but they are no Le Creuset. And it might not seem like a big deal but a 10 pound Dutch oven, vs a 16 pound Dutch oven is a big difference. Especially after you add 8 or 10 pounds of food and liquid to it. Lighter weight, generally better castings, and the lifetime guarantee are the main reasons to pay the premium for the Le Creuset. Before I moved to Boston I had a nice collection going of about a dozen pieces. Several them were garage sale pieces that I paid pennies for. Unfortunately I had to get rid of most of them when we left our 4 bedroom house for a tiny apartment. Here are the 3 I kept.

Doufeu - This gets used the most. I love it for stews and braises. You are supposed to put ice in the weird lid to encourage steam convection inside the pot as it cooks. I don't know if this is true or not, but I can tell you that these doufeus are usually quite a bit cheaper than the Dutch Ovens that are the same size and they go on sale more often, so something to consider. I think I tried it with ice once and was underwhelmed. But the pot in general is one of my favorites to cook with.
IMG_20200429_134249.jpg

Rectangle braiser - I pretty much only use this and smaller Dutch oven when we are entertaining - hence the dust. They are great, just not necessary all that often when I'm just cooking for my wife and I. And like I said, the doufeu is my go to for chili and mole and beef bourgignon and braised short ribs and whole roasted chickens and lots of other stuff.

IMG_20200429_134314.jpg

Dutch Oven
IMG_20200429_134304.jpg

All that being said, pick the one that is best for how you want to use it. Somebody said their knockoff was better for baking bread. That is probably because the knockoff is heavier. And in that particular application the heavier, thicker enameled cast iron better protects the bread from scorching while baking. Be sure to keep an eye out at flea markets and garage sales. Enameled cast iron is rarer to find than bare cast iron, but it's still also usually cheaper because, I don't know why. Not as many people collect it? It doesn't really make sense since new Le Creuset stuff is so expensive and new bare cast iron is so cheap. I guess the LC is still being made though and there haven't been any new Griswolds or Wagners in a really long time. It probably depends on where you are shopping too.

P.S. My defective Le Creuset dutch over went to the land fill!
Each time I needed to replace a pan in the last 30 years I called LC, got a RA and sent it in. They tell you that you have to send the pot in so they can inspect it before they will send you a new one. So it costs you some money to ship it to them but nothing compared to buying a new one. And I never had them tell me I abused the pan and not honor the warranty. What was the problem that you had with them?

This leads me to the other obvious choice, Staub [...] The one thing that puts me off them is what America's Test Kitchen said about it being hard to see browning inside because of the black interior. I've never cooked in one so I don't know how true this is.

I've got a Staub and yes, it's marginally more difficult to see browning, but as long as your kitchen is well lit I find it a total non-issue.

And re: bare cast iron vs enamel, it's nice to deglaze and cook with acids in the enamel without having to worry about compromising a seasoning. Sure, you could do just about anything in either cast iron, enamel, or stainless, but as Michi pointed out, its nice to have different pots for different jobs.

I agree as well that’s it’s nice to have different types of cookware for different jobs. We like our stainless pan and even have a nonstick aluminum frypan from Restaurant Depot for stuff that really likes to stick.

I prefer staub compared to LC. Do a google search “staub vs le creuset” and there are lots of culinary forum hits and other articles. To me LC feels like a toy, staub feels more heavy duty. I have about 12 matte black Cast iron staub (including cast iron baking pans), the colour ones are sophisticated (the grenadine and aubergine look really nice); on a forum I read someone sold their staub and bought the fluorescent LC colours instead becasue they made them “feel” better. You do you.

staub also makes special animal knobs you can upgrade or come standard on certain pieces (pretty sure some LC can’t be used in the oven?). I got the Jacques pepin chicken for one of them. Here are a few pics:

2F56EEB8-2F55-4370-B8DA-E3CD83989B0B.jpeg
C8D21323-E4CD-41F0-96C6-6EE9FAD334E8.jpeg
4A88DA27-5FF0-4B7A-91CC-4869E8DF36E9.jpeg
DFB5073D-5C01-4B03-A9F6-82E9457E1DF2.jpeg

staub also makes special animal knobs you can upgrade or come standard on certain pieces (pretty sure some LC can’t be used in the oven?).

The stock knobs are oven safe to a certain temp, but LC also sells SS knobs. I bought them for my pieces just because they look better.

5413685313_e271a8b65a_c.jpg

The staub knobs fit perfectly well on Le Creuset.
This forum is occasionally funny. Only one Dutch oven can be the the best while 20 brands of knives and makers are fine.
Get both a staub and a LC. You’ll have more fun.
Go forth and be enabled

Im using a dark blue oval Staub and amazed at the results that i come up with specially with whole roasted chicken and pot roast. Im looking to buy another one for the vacation house, will martha stewart or the lodge yield the same results?

I prefer staub compared to LC. Do a google search “staub vs le creuset” and there are lots of culinary forum hits and other articles. To me LC feels like a toy, staub feels more heavy duty. I have about 12 matte black Cast iron staub (including cast iron baking pans), the colour ones are sophisticated (the grenadine and aubergine look really nice); on a forum I read someone sold their staub and bought the fluorescent LC colours instead becasue they made them “feel” better. You do you.

staub also makes special animal knobs you can upgrade or come standard on certain pieces (pretty sure some LC can’t be used in the oven?). I got the Jacques pepin chicken for one of them. Here are a few pics:

nice. i have the regular chicken knob. i hated it. took too much space in my oven. it was too tall.

but, i have the same mortar/pestle you have as well..tucked into the same corner. haha.

fwiw the LC dutch oven I purchased this year came with a steel handle.

also, I still use my grandmother's LC dutch oven, which predates my father, and is in fine enough shape.

I have a Lodge as well and I do not like it nearly as much. to me the difference in price over the life of these things is tiny compared to the lightweightness of the LC and the far superior F&F

I love my le Creuset Dutch oven and use it all the time for braises and baking it is a total work horse for me. I have an all clad of the same volume and never ever use it for anything. I also have the lodge combo cooker and only use it for bread.

I also had a restaurant job where we used le Creuset pots for sauces, risotto etc. I wish I could have had them at every job I have had. They are really great pieces.

I've been using family's LC during quarintine. Previously, I used me Staubs, but had one hand me down LC that I occasionally used. Never had issues with scorched bottoms on my 4 qt and 7.5 qt staub. But did on this 5 1/2 qt hand me down. Sure enough, I have had issues with the LCs in both larger and smaller size now. I know ATK has complained about the weight of the Staubs. However, I do wonder if that weight is partially due to the LCs simply being thinner and therefore stores less heat energy before scorching.

That's not to say if you're used to LCs you probably wouldn't learn to compensate, but it seems like if you're used to Staubs you can be a bit more casual with the heat, due to more material for heat energy to travel through before you get scorching problems, which is nice for stovetop braising.

I own both Lodge and Le Creuset Dutch ovens. As far as function goes, I cannot tell the difference. Lodge customer service was great - replaced my ~8 year old Dutch oven with micro-cracks without any trouble. LC is still in very good condition.

Back