The knife abstinence thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread idea, but you can take it a step further... instead of just shaming people out of buying new knives, we could shame them into putting their least-used knife on the BST šŸ˜ˆ

(seriously though someone convince me out of getting a gesshin ginga 270 gyuto during the next drop)

It seems so realistic in the abstract. Then that grail knife offering arrives in BST or your email. Then what?
Grail area.
I still donā€™t have a rectangle and I think I want one. Save me from myself.
Be the first on your (knife) block. Wait for a pentagonal blade.

Jokes aside, buying and selling to find your sweet spot(s) is worthwhile when you understand that experiences resonate longer than material goods. So, use the hunt to find the tools you like the most and then use them to make bangin meals for your favorite people, because you'll remember the latter far more than the knives that collect dust or came and went via USPS.

I still donā€™t have a rectangle and I think I want one. Save me from myself.
Great opportunity to try a nakiri or a CCK cleaver. They're affordable and even though I've diverted almost solely mono steel I enjoy a pair of traditional san mai aogami core carbon clad nakiri. I suspect they will get more use than you'd suspect in a home kitchen. They're for vegtables. Who doesn't need more vegetables?

Great opportunity to try a nakiri or a CCK cleaver. They're affordable and even though I've diverted almost solely mono steel I enjoy a pair of traditional san mai aogami core carbon clad nakiri. I suspect they will get more use than you'd suspect in a home kitchen. They're for vegtables. Who doesn't need more vegetables?
Cleavers and even nakiris are not just for vegetables. They work great on meat, too, if you're not boning a pork shoulder.

ā€¦ Who doesn't need more vegetables?

1711069731946.gif

Cleavers and even nakiris are not just for vegetables. They work great on meat, too, if you're not boning a pork shoulder.
Completely agree. Underrated combo for a family kitchen is a 165 carbon nakiri and a 210 stainless suji. Add a bread knife and a parer and you're having fun.

This is a great thread idea, but you can take it a step further... instead of just shaming people out of buying new knives, we could shame them into putting their least-used knife on the BST šŸ˜ˆ

(seriously though someone convince me out of getting a gesshin ginga 270 gyuto during the next drop)
Hitohira has rebranded Ashi ones.

Work knives most mono carbons. Couple San Mai in later years. Home knives most San Mai either sold to culinary students or gave away to relatives after taught them how to sharpen.

Later home knives graduated back to mono carbons Watanabe, Sabatier, Mazaki. Noticed now have little & bigger blades mono need to take more care as home knives. After being spoiled with Magnacut fine grains can make shaving sharp great edge retention. Like semi Yoshi SKD. Looking at Sentan Hap40 on sale at K&S. Nice grind. I remember when Hap40 first came out CKTG had a not so good geometry blade not a cheap price. Student bought one sharpened it for him. The nicer Hap40 blades were selling at premium price. Just as the custom Magnacut blades are now. I kept my gyuto buying at bay for a while as folder collection doubled in resent years.

In the spirit of this thread, I really want another Birgersson. I have a great ktip from him, itā€™s one of my favorite cutters. Thereā€™s no reason to get another one. But those wrought and stainless clad ones heā€™s posted about recently caaaall to me. šŸ˜­

I need a 210mm kagekiyo suji to go with my Sakai set of knivesā€¦ and Iā€™m empty inside. @Uncle Danny can you fix me?
You know youā€™re only chasing the dragon here. Tell yourself that this is a bad spiral. Nobody who takes them selves seriously buys a 210 suji anyway. Why would you?!

I don't need a Toyama bloomery, no big difference than his regular works, right..?
No, this is a no-brainer and just by asking this question, you know you donā€™t. Probably got awful drag through food anyway.

Work knives most mono carbons. Couple San Mai in later years. Home knives most San Mai either sold to culinary students or gave away to relatives after taught them how to sharpen.

Later home knives graduated back to mono carbons Watanabe, Sabatier, Mazaki. Noticed now have little & bigger blades mono need to take more care as home knives. After being spoiled with Magnacut fine grains can make shaving sharp great edge retention. Like semi Yoshi SKD. Looking at Sentan Hap40 on sale at K&S. Nice grind. I remember when Hap40 first came out CKTG had a not so good geometry blade not a cheap price. Student bought one sharpened it for him. The nicer Hap40 blades were selling at premium price. Just as the custom Magnacut blades are now. I kept my gyuto buying at bay for a while as folder collection doubled in resent years.
IMG_0101.jpeg

Youā€™re not missing anything. It offers no big advantage to a tall gyuto that you already have.
šŸ˜‚ So many angry emojis. Iā€™m not a hater. Was just trying to save @Ok__mode_6953 from himself. Also so he can set aside moolah so he can buy my knifešŸ˜‰.
Look, I have 2 irregular quadrilaterals and a rectangle:
IMG_1072.jpeg

Last edited:
Joking ofcourse been waiting forever for a new shihan.
Now how does everyone feel about a ā€œno knife sharpening Mayā€ where you just test retention?

Back