The "Let's Talk About This Knife" Thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyohei Shindo Nakiri:

Getting back to this discussion... I finally had time to really focus on this knife. I've used it pretty heavily the past couple days cutting up a broad range of stuff from garlic to cabbage. I'll say right up front, this is a a lot of knife for a little money! @SwampDonkey is right to routinely praise and recommend them and I'm glad I finally got one.

I think the reason my first reaction was that it was light for it's size is the way it carries its weight. The weight is up along the spine as the knife thins out quickly and noticeably. For the past few weeks I've mainly been using knives with thicker middles so the balance just felt different at first. This knife epitomizes the Sanjo style for sure.

The knife does still feel different in use. Nothing glaring at all, just something I notice. Maybe it's the thin edge and how long that thinness extends up from there. I've had no issues with it at all and it hasn't scoffed at anything.

I don't think it's all that unreasonable to recommend this as a budget alternative to the so-oft recommended Wat Pro. That's in no way meant to imply this knife can't stand on it's own, it definitely can and does.

I'm not sure it'll knock my beloved Homi off the rack but that's just my individual preference and familiarity. But then again, who knows...

View attachment 282963
Change that crappy stock handle and it'll definitely knock the Homi off the rack lol

I don't mind the handle and I don't cut with that part.

Besides, my Homi is wearing a handle I made for it so... :)
But that uneven gap is such an eye sore! And not to mention slippery as hell too 😜

17003526260671716785657225933679.jpg

I am using my Shindo gyuto a lot and I don’t know how to describe how I feel in the back of my mind while using it. The knife is so impressive in use, and I keep waiting for something bad to happen…somehow…but it doesn’t. So far it’s just a fantastic value and I think I will have a nakiri soon. I think it’s best to get just the blade and have Tokushu put one of their nice inexpensive handles on. I’m very happy with their rosewood handle.

If the knife didn’t need to be straightened when I first got it, I don’t think I’d feel the same as I do about it. From my experience, I think my apprehension will be unnecessary.

I am using my Shindo gyuto a lot and I don’t know how to describe how I feel in the back of my mind while using it. The knife is so impressive in use, and I keep waiting for something bad to happen…somehow…but it doesn’t. So far it’s just a fantastic value and I think I will have a nakiri soon. I think it’s best to get just the blade and have Tokushu put one of their nice inexpensive handles on. I’m very happy with their rosewood handle.

If the knife didn’t need to be straightened when I first got it, I don’t think I’d feel the same as I do about it. From my experience, I think my apprehension will be unnecessary.
The rosewood puts the balance point a tad bit too far back for my liking, for the nakiri it really could use a lighter handle

My Shindo gyuto balances almost exactly where I like it, right at the choil.

I also want to make sure not no scare anyone about buying this due to the correction of the bend. It was easily adjusted and the more I use it, I don’t think I’d describe it as flexible. My Takeda is flexible, and this is nothing like that.

I've rehandled my Shindo gyuto a few times. Hated the Enjin handle it came with, threw a Tokushu rosewood on there for a while, finally settled on a smaller teak D handle from Cutting Edge and love it. The tang was so long it required an XL handle. After the rosewood I cut down the tang a bit so I could fit the smaller teak handle on there and bring the balance forward to my tastes, shown below with my finest trout socks for @BillHanna

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/col...roducts/d-shape-teak-japanese-knife-wa-handle
Also never really looked before but my gyuto has a subtle S grind too. Explains why it has always released so much better than a Yoshi

20220826_212144.jpg

20221127_191129.jpg

20230214_103400.jpg

20231119_120256.jpg

20231119_115854.jpg

When I was weighing stuff a few days ago for the Koa install, my XL Tokushu rosewood was 63 g and the L was 53 g. Not sure what the teak was but it's significantly smaller in diameter

Last edited:
I've rehandled my Shindo gyuto a few times. Hated the Enjin handle it came with, threw a Tokushu rosewood on there for a while, finally settled on a smaller teak D handle from Cutting Edge and love it. The tang was so long it required an XL handle. After the rosewood I cut down the tang a but so I could fit the smaller teak handle on there and bring the balance forward to my tastes, shown below with my finest trout socks for @BillHanna

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/col...roducts/d-shape-teak-japanese-knife-wa-handle
Also never really looked before but my gyuto has a subtle S grind too. Explains why it has always released so much better than a Yoshi

View attachment 283127
View attachment 283128
View attachment 283126
View attachment 283130
View attachment 283133

When I was weighing stuff a few days ago for the Koa install, my XL Tokushu rosewood was 63 g and the L was 53 g. Not sure what the teak was but it's significantly smaller in diameter

For that size knife, I'd suggest cutting down the tang to allow for using a smaller handle (120-130mm). Even if the tang is 110mm (which is near the top range for tangs and not typical for a smaller knife), you should have plenty of space in a shorter handle while still having a comfortable 1-2cm buffer.

For that size knife, I'd suggest cutting down the tang to allow for using a smaller handle (120-130mm). Even if the tang is 110mm (which is near the top range for tangs and not typical for a smaller knife), you should have plenty of space in a shorter handle while still having a comfortable 1-2cm buffer.
I was just mulling this over since I'm in the middle (currently paused for equipment upgrades) of re-handling mine. I'm trying to go the shortest I can still comfortably use in all grips and ~120 is right at that point. I didn't want to lose any forward balance moving off that light plastic ferrule one, so I may take some material off the tang as part of it now.

I was just mulling this over since I'm in the middle (currently paused for equipment upgrades) of re-handling mine. I'm trying to go the shortest I can still comfortably use in all grips and ~120 is right at that point. I didn't want to lose any forward balance moving off that light plastic ferrule one, so I may take some material off the tang as part of it now.
That Teak D handle is 133 mm long. I'm not sure how much I cut off the tang to get it to fit when I stepped down from the XL/142 mm rosewood but I'd wager around 10-12 mm.

Quite interested in this fisherman knife here, looks interesting
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2338093406...ar=533483051530&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
That's a pretty basic one, you can find much nicer ones for the same price on the auction sites pretty easily. Every now and then you can find some really rustic and interesting ones too. I have one that I take with me. It's handy to have for cutting line, bait, gutting/bleeding fish. On a commercial boat they'd be used for cutting ropes or nets when needed. A handy knife to have around indeed

That's a pretty basic one, you can find much nicer ones for the same price on the auction sites pretty easily. Every now and then you can find some really rustic and interesting ones too. I have one that I take with me. It's handy to have for cutting line, bait, gutting/bleeding fish. On a commercial boat they'd be used for cutting ropes or nets when needed. A handy knife to have around indeed
Nice! Any recommendations for auction sites?

Back