The "Let's Talk About This Knife" Thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting, thanks

I was curious about how the wide bevels / shinogi perform in harder veggies. I guess it's quite thin overall so the shinogi doesn't offer much resistance?
Because of the wide bevel, you can choose to use different areas of the knife for different tasks and materials. the impact of using the forward 1/3 of the knife results in laser city.
Overall my generally inexperienced opinion is that this knife is my best performer, although I do find myself reaching for the takamura sg2 more often than not day to day.

I didnt feel much resistance, and rather have been dealing with stickage more often than not

Last edited:
Shindo tall nakiri has been neglected since I've been too obsessed with the newer 250s in the limited time I've been home lately. Grabbed a hefty carrot out of the fridge to just cut a bit for dog bowl and was shocked at how dead silent it just ghosted through it. Repeatedly! Had to stop and grab a pic of carrot size because I wasn't in ~knife testing~ mode. I know it isn't the biggest carrot in the world but a many a knife would bbbrrrraaaapppp something this size.

1000028437.jpg
1000028438.jpg

I'm still getting used to the amount of belly on it, and am surprised there is some since my little nakiri is only subtly curved. Really my only ding but technique change isn't hard.

Don't want to derail the thread too much, but where would Nobuyah Hayashi fit in with the Okubo and Toyama/Watanabe?
My Nobuyah 240 B2 felt by far the hardest of any steel I've put to stones. Quite a bit more so than my Toyama dammy and iron clad Watanabe

Bringing this over here. I haven't tried that steel. Is it chippy being that hard?

I have not had any chipping, but I am quite gentle on the board.
I kept the factory edge for a bit then did some very minor thinning to the front 2/3 of the blade. Noticably harder on the stones and the board compared to any steel I've tried. Not that the list is very long, but dude can make a knife, that's for damn sure

(posting this here since I don't want to make a separate thread for it)

Whats the general consensus these days about Doa Vua, especially the newer generation that is being sold at tokushu? Im thinking of buying some cheap(er) knives as gifts for some buddies and was eyeing these, especially with the including sharpening from Zach.

Whats the general consensus these days about Doa Vua, especially the newer generation that is being sold at tokushu? Im thinking of buying some cheap(er) knives as gifts for some buddies and was eyeing these, especially with the including sharpening from Zach.
Genuinely happy with mine for the price, I’m not the biggest critic here so take that for what it’s worth.

I genuinely like my V3 Tank. The grind is better than I expected at that thick. The HT and the 52100 have been solid. I don't use it a ton, but I like to get mine out every once in a while. I've been recommending the V3 for a bit and still do, I think it's a solid value and performs better than anticipated.

Thanks yall. I remember a couple of years ago even talking about Dao Vua brought up intense reaction because of the poor steel and heat treatment (let along the questionable accusations of lead in the steel). Glad to hear they've seemed to turn it around. Will definitely keep it in mind as an option

I think the Nihei attribution is a mistake. The Yorokobi is a Nigara knife based on multiple other attributions on IG and YouTube.
So, it does have me wondering. I've been out looking at it. It is Sanjo-made SLD according to another site. That aligns with Nihei too. He is an SLD guru too.

Last edited:

I've gone through several of these 52100 versions mostly purchased second hand on the forums. The cleaver and tall gyuto were fun knives and worth the price to have something fun to play with imo and I never tested the cleaver as I never felt the need to. That said, the last bunch I bought included one with a bend in it. In attempting to straighten it, it was way too easy for a mono-steel, so I tested the hardness. Several tests at various points resulted in the ~50hrc range. I went ahead and tested the others and the overall range was about 45-52hrc with readings in some spots that were too low to read.

A few disclaimers, I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist so there are much better sources of info on this than I. Even if these weren't heat treated well doesn't mean they all aren't, it could just be from an earlier batch where they hadn't nailed down their 52100 protocol. I don't have a super high end industrial hardness tester. The blades are really thin which may impact the readings. I did compare with a couple 26c3 blades that had scale ground off and were heat treated in an Evenheat oven to a 1475° soak then quenched in Parks 50 coming in around 65-66 hrc after a 300° temper.

I had a 52100 cleaver via Tokushu. It was warped (considered "out of spec") and had a weird grind. Tokushu did right for me, but just be aware they can be far from perfect.

Or perhaps that was a mistake?

View attachment 295019
Interesting, that one very much looks like a Nigara kiritsuke I have and some copper Nigara pieces that Home Butcher had awhile back. That said, they do not at all resemble the Yorokobi from my experience outside of the copper cladding, which is likely pre-laminated stock. I wonder if there was a change in the maker?

Last edited:
It looks very much like my Nigara/Hatsu collab in a Blue 2 k-tip gyuto. But that would make sense if they get the blades forged and do the sharpening themselves. It does have that Cu like other hatsu/nigara lines, but that pattern looks unique to that Kurouchi SLD/Cu Line in the picture and I think that's the only Kurouchi & SLD Cu line. I'm not convinced either way but I think, yep, I think that Nihei could be the one that did it, but the kid's not his son.

I think someone from Ai and Om was posting about training at Nigara and was working on Yorokobis.

Edit: hmm maybe not Ai and Om. I have to look for it.

Knives and Stones:
IMG_4878.png
IMG_4879.png

Last edited:
Back