The "Let's Talk About This Knife" Thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my Shindo gyuto, and the handle that was used on mine is 129 mm long rosewood which is why it probably balances well. If you look at the posted pictures of the Shindo blade only option, you can see the tang is SUPER long. I’m pretty sure quite a bit was trimmed off of the tang when mounting the handle, and I didn’t want to cut it down myself, so I got the handle put on by Tokushu. They did a great job.

In use, I’m extremely impressed with this knife. The S curve is noticeable in adding to the food release. I also now don’t even think about this knife being delicate in use other than normal regard for using a thin edged knife.

I checked my Shindo gyuto, and the handle that was used on mine is 129 mm long rosewood which is why it probably balances well. If you look at the posted pictures of the Shindo blade only option, you can see the tang is SUPER long. I’m pretty sure quite a bit was trimmed off of the tang when mounting the handle, and I didn’t want to cut it down myself, so I got the handle put on by Tokushu. They did a great job.

In use, I’m extremely impressed with this knife. The S curve is noticeable in adding to the food release. I also now don’t even think about this knife being delicate in use other than normal regard for using a thin edged knife.

My Shindo nakiri from Tokoshu also has a 129mm handle.

Well pulled the trigger on the Shindo nakiri from tokushu, ordered with one of their rosewood handles instead of the stock handle. My first dive into nakiris!

Nice! That's a great intro in both price and performance for sure. You might have to touch up the edge to start but then you'll be off to the races. You'll also be ready for ARM which is coming up. :)

I really enjoy nakiri and use them more than anything else. They are versatile in both ingredients and style. Although largely thought of and heavily designed for push cutting, those with round noses allow for a lot of rock chopping too. And meat doesn't care that you cut with a nakiri. I also like the board scrapping ability, not just of the side but the front face. I use it to push things around my board all the time.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy and be sure to let us know your thoughts.

I figured it would be a good introduction while we wait for them to get more of the tall nakiris in stock.

I've been able to resist all of the other black friday knife temptations but this price was too good, especially for the quality that yall have mentioned previously

edit: actually, speaking of black friday deals. What are yalls thoughts about the W2 Mazakis that K&S has?

Anyone tried JKI's Tangetsu gyutos? I'm specially interested in the 270 KU, but impressions on the other sizes and variants are welcome. (@blokey ?)

Tangetsu 270mm White #1 Kurouchi Wa-Gyuto

Specs are almost the same as my Gesshin Ittetsu white #2 gyuto (which I love), but Tangetsu's profile is more traditional.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-ittetsu-270mm-white-2-hon-kasumi-wa-gyuto
I have the 240mm ku in white #1. It performs fantastically and really is gorgeous. The best comparison I can make with my limited experience is that it cuts through food better than the takamura sg2 and feels significantly better while doing it.

I have the 240mm ku in white #1. It performs fantastically and really is gorgeous. The best comparison I can make with my limited experience is that it cuts through food better than the takamura sg2 and feels significantly better while doing it.
interesting, thanks

I was curious about how the wide bevels / shinogi perform in harder veggies. I guess it's quite thin overall so the shinogi doesn't offer much resistance?

I figured it would be a good introduction while we wait for them to get more of the tall nakiris in stock.

I've been able to resist all of the other black friday knife temptations but this price was too good, especially for the quality that yall have mentioned previously

edit: actually, speaking of black friday deals. What are yalls thoughts about the W2 Mazakis that K&S has?
2023 Mazaki bangs. Very thick spine, good convex, quite thin behind the edge (much more so than my 2022 migaki) and very aggressive distal taper. Good flatish spot on rear but not too flat. Hard steel, reactive cladding. The 240 has a 5mm neck which brings joy, mine is 226 g with a Kochi handle. Heft and comfort of a workhorse but laser tip and thin BTE to cut like something thinner, my favorite combo.

20230801_175734.jpg

2023 Mazaki bangs. Very thick spine, good convex, quite thin behind the edge (much more so than my 2022 migaki) and very aggressive distal taper. Good flatish spot on rear but not too flat. Hard steel, reactive cladding. The 240 has a 5mm neck which brings joy, mine is 226 g with a Kochi handle. Heft and comfort of a workhorse but laser tip and thin BTE to cut like something thinner, my favorite combo.

View attachment 284949
I'm basically a lock to pick up a 270 KU at some point from what I've been seeing of the current profile

Anyone tried JKI's Tangetsu gyutos? I'm specially interested in the 270 KU, but impressions on the other sizes and variants are welcome. (@blokey ?)

Tangetsu 270mm White #1 Kurouchi Wa-Gyuto

Specs are almost the same as my Gesshin Ittetsu white #2 gyuto (which I love), but Tangetsu's profile is more traditional.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-ittetsu-270mm-white-2-hon-kasumi-wa-gyuto
Sorry forgot to reply after getting back, I currently like it a lot, very thin true wide bevel, due to the thinness Shinogi transition is barely felt during cutting but still helps with release, tho it is not a super food release knife. The 270 has a good weight for the blade length, cutting is effortless, it drop through onions better than Toyama. The KU finish is very nice and smooth, not sign of fading yet, the whole package is very elegant, true to the Tangetsu "faded moon" name sake. The only thin is the edge is really thin and one the need more care side of things.

Back