this is what happens when you let your cook use your knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heiji lost a battle with baby back ribs.
20190925_145930_HDR.jpg

All of my knives are communal for the most part. I try to encourage certain cooks to use certain knives. But I don't tell anyone they can't use my knives. I just urge them to be careful and try to teach them better technique and not to use them for pry bars or screwdrivers. Some days go better than others. And I have a very high tolerance for patina.

My wat is missing a heel tip at the moment.

IMG_20190919_084134~2.jpg

All of my knives are communal for the most part. I try to encourage certain cooks to use certain knives. But I don't tell anyone they can't use my knives. I just urge them to be careful and try to teach them better technique and not to use them for pry bars or screwdrivers. Some days go better than others. And I have a very high tolerance for patina.

View attachment 61821
Some do like a rounded heel, in which case there's a beginning.

View attachment 61821

That's one of the most generous statements that I've ever heard.

View attachment 61821

It's smaller than mine

Wrong steel, wrong HT, wrong sharpening angle and ok wrong user for this task .... o_O

Greets Sebastian.

Wrong steel, wrong HT, wrong sharpening angle and ok wrong user for this task .... o_O

Greets Sebastian.

It seems to me that if the knife has functioned well for all uses prior and the chipping occurred when used specifically on the wrong product; then it would seem that the choice of that knife for that particular product was what was wrong.

i was planning on portioning them myself which is why i had the knife out on the cutting board, but i got side tracked and my cook took it upon himself to get the task done. he clearly has no idea not to twist the knife while using so the inevitable happened.

I have an outstanding Kikuhiromaru atsunomi (an atsunomi is the Japanese version of a timber framing chisel) and a new guy used it without asking me. The retard hit a nail with it and there was a 5mm deep chip in the hagane. I hired him through a temp agency which means I don't even need a reason to send someone home. I told him to pack his things and leave my property. It happened on his 3rd day so why he thought it's okay to use my tools is beyond me.

The main concern of a professional chef should be: " where the **** are the missing metal parts of my knife".... Hoping no one get them into mouth....

Greets Sebastian.

sepererating babyracks should go with any good kitchen knife, but a noob would even kill a sturdy Global on this :D

Regards

Uwe

But a noob with a Mune could do dinasour bones without missing a beat.

for sure sir! this is why i gave only Mune`s to my coworkers.... :) . (or it was money... i don? t know...) But they have to be so dawn good.... ;) .

Greets Sebastian.

One of the guys asked to use my pairing knife, it came back with a bent tip. Turns out he tried to open oysters with it...At least he replaced it with one I like better.

I generally don't mind others using my knives but which ones I let borrow depends on the person and task. Always puts a grin on my face when they remark how sharp they are.

Back