Toddler Kitchen Time

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprescot

Founding Member
Reaction score
Somewhere along the way I must have stumbled into some sort of weird spatial anomaly or temporal vortex because our son who I would SWEAR was just born last week is turning two pretty soon.

Since I spend time in the kitchen, he has always been interested in getting in there, and I let him in on occasion when the stove and the oven aren't going and I'm just working with dough or washing vegetables. And while I've been smart enough to be able to do some stuff with him which he just loves (rolling out cookies, washing pots and pans and veg, squishing up tomatoes, etc) I'm running out of ideas.

But I figure you guys with older kids have already done a bunch of this already, so maybe you all might have some ideas that I'm just not thinking of. Probably goes without saying, but we're not ready for edged implements yet.

-Seasoning a tray of veggies for baking. I let the little one help with adding oil, and sprinkling salt/pepper/herbs/etc.
-Wiping and putting away dishes.
-Pressing the buttons to set the timer on the rice cooker (a learning tower is helpful for this)

Also, I wouldnt completely write off the "edged" implements. I took a $5 kiwi knife, dulled it, and ghetto'd this thing for my kid to use. We use it for chopping bananas.
pxl_20210710_202958404-jpg.134662

pxl_20210717_201028251-4-jpg.134660

Last edited:
I know this is off topic, but at what point does a rice-cooker become useful? I make rice two or three times a week, long grain and short grain (just made avocado rolls for the family tonight, in fact), and as long as I know the rice I'm working with, I've never really had a problem cooking it on the stovetop. But I worry I'm missing out since I see so many swear by their rice cookers...

I know this is off topic, but at what point does a rice-cooker become useful? I make rice two or three times a week, long grain and short grain (just made avocado rolls for the family tonight, in fact), and as long as I know the rice I'm working with, I've never really had a problem cooking it on the stovetop. But I worry I'm missing out since I see so many swear by their rice cookers...

I have asked this same question before. The answer that I usually get is that the rice cooker is "set it and forget it." But for me, the stovetop is close enough. I set the burner to max and forget it. Once it starts boiling over I turn it down a little. Two more minutes, I turn it off. And then it sits until everything else is done. So I guess there's two minutes where I have to pay attention. That 2 minutes is not worth losing counter/cabinet space for me. Now if the rice machine also filled itself and washed the rice and did it all remotely so it was ready when I got home from work I might be interested

Just speaking from my own youth, I'd say baking and making bread is really the way to go. It's easy, cheap (so it doesn't matter even if you screw up), you can let them do pretty much everything since there's no sharp / pointy objects involved. Kids actually like kneading, and it's a great way to get an understanding of the process. The main attraction is that it's something where kids can really do most of the steps themselves, instead of just playing sidekick.

When it comes to knives for kids; both Opinel and Robert Herder have a rounded-tip knife aimed at kids (looks like a smaller santoku in both cases). Between the two the RH is the better knife (better grind). Though arguably if you're confident enough to give them something with a sharp edge you could just give them a normal petty.

My kids like to cut cucumbers and other stuff for raw eating at the table. Also pancake making, pizza topping, cookie making, and other such stuff...

I let my older one (6) cut things with me when I use the nice knives..

Only slightly related, but I am working on training my nose. My daughter and I have a lot of fun 'guessing the smell'. We filled 16 small containers with spices etc. Lot of fun.
Think pepper, coriander powder, mint, coffee, cacao, lime, lemon, lavendel, etc

-Seasoning a tray of veggies for baking. I let the little one help with adding oil, and sprinkling salt/pepper/herbs/etc.
-Wiping and putting away dishes.
-Pressing the buttons to set the timer on the rice cooker (a learning tower is helpful for this)

Also, I wouldnt completely write off the "edged" implements. I took a $5 kiwi knife, dulled it, and ghetto'd this thing for my kid to use. We use it for chopping bananas.
pxl_20210710_202958404-jpg.134662

pxl_20210717_201028251-4-jpg.134660

+1 for the "learning tower". It was a must have for my daughter (now almost 6) from 2-4. It gets them up to the right height to help out on the stove and prep table, while keeping them safe. I built mine, but I know they sell them, too.

As for kitchen duties, my daughter likes to help make batters (she can pour in pre-measured ingredients) and she loves to lick the spoon (who doesn't!?!). Also, she likes mixing and cooking scrambled eggs. If you keep the heat low, it seems pretty safe.

I also converted a small cheese knife so she could cut bananas. (PS, great work on the Kiwi conversion, Tostadas!)

Anyway, have fun with your kiddo!

20211113_061211.jpg

My soon-to-be-three granddaughter loves to be in the kitchen with grandpa.

I will echo @riba and say get them smelling stuff and really looking at and feeling stuff. I especially have her smell the herbs and spices before she puts them in, which she loves to do. She absolutely insists on putting in the pinches of salt. Try to get more of their senses involved. Like how a tomato feels different on the cheek than a zucchini or even how a fresh tomato feels different than an old one. It won't all just set right in but it will slowly build up and they'll retain the lessons more and more and hopefully expand their understanding of food and cooking beyond recipes.

We have a two-step folding step stool that I push right up against the counter so she can be right next to me. Sometimes I'll just set her on the counter and sometimes we work at the table. I also instill some discipline because it is important. Not a hard ass but the word "danger" gets used in a serious tone and a requirement that she pay attention. Then I explain the type of danger. Safety has to be absolutely be the first priority.

Things we've done that my granddaughter loves:

- Scrambled eggs. Hands down this is her favorite thing to make with me. I even let her hold the eggs while we crack them. I would caution to use a separate bowl and pour each individual egg into your mixing bowl as crushed shells happen. :) She loves to whisk them and she salts them after. It goes fast too so no lagging attention spans and she loves to eat them so it all just works out. Naturally I do the stove. She also loves to serve a plate of them to grandma before she and I eat.

- Berry milkshakes. She loves berries so that made that choice easy. She likes to "help" scoop the ice cream and pour the milk and she gets to put in her own berries and press the buttons.

- Sandwiches. More specifically, a single slice of folded bread for her. I find natural peanut butter and honey works out really well. The natural peanut butter spreads easily and the honey is mostly just squeeze and swirl.

- French Toast. This is a great opportunity to work in the olfactory glands. Vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

- Regular trail mix and granola. The trail mix is a no knife or hot stuff exercise that can really get them involved from start to finish. Choosing the ingredients, pouring them, mixing them with their hands in the bowl and filling jars. Works great and promotes a healthy snack. The next step to that is granola. I use a natural peanut butter and honey or syrup recipe so it really gets her involved but isn't a ton of sugar. We usually make two kinds. Both of these ideas are also really nice because she can take some home for mom and dad and she thinks that's pretty awesome.

- "Hot Pockets". She's coming over today and my plan is for us to make sorta homemade hot pockets. Haven't tried this one yet but I think it'll go alright. We'll sit at the table for this one. I got some Pillsbury biscuit dough that I'm thinking we stretch and flatten and then I'll have a variety of stuff out like cheeses, pepperoni, ham, tomatoes, mushrooms, sauce, etc. She'll be able to pick what she wants and put it on her dough. Then we'll fold them over, crimp them closed and bake them. I'm thinking she can make some to take home too.

It is a challenge to think of things they can get involved in but that also makes it fun for you! Keep it fun but safe for everyone and really try to impart more than just take this and put it there. Try to really teach them about the food and as they get older about cooking techniques and why things are different.

And the best advice I can give, is at the very young ages, don't push it. If they aren't into it that day for some reason, then they aren't into it.

My kids were in the kitchen with me but it wasn't until they got older that they really got into it. My youngest is still not really into cooking per se but loves to bake. My oldest daughter really got passionate about cooking when she moved out and is now an excellent cook and we share ideas and stuff all the time. But with my granddaughter, she just loves it and loves being in the kitchen and it is a ton of fun!

Last edited:
Ah yes, stuff where you can sprinkle lots of cheese. Lasagna is great. I have bowls of shredded cheese prepped, and the kid can just grab handfuls and sprinkle evenly, or dump mounds wherever he pleases. We often end up needing to wash cheese out of his hair for some reason afterwards, but its loads of fun. Don't forget to take photos to capture these moments.

Brilliant ideas both for now and for later! Thanks all!

And best of all, Thanksgiving is coming soon! Which means we can try some of the activities that sound delightfully fun but devilishly messy while we're down at Grandma and Grandpas!

My daughter is 6 and she likes to help with pretty much everything in the kitchen but her favorite is chopping vegetables. I am not as handy as some of the other peeps here so I bought her a kids chef knife and it has really worked well for her (comes with a finger guard which I have found effective in preventing her from cutting herself)

Opinel Le Petit Chef Kitchen Knife Set, 2 Piece Set Amazon.com: Opinel Le Petit Chef Kitchen Knife Set, 2 Piece Set : Home & Kitchen

That's a nice one! I'll look out for that one when the time comes. Or, I could scare the piss out of the spouse by supposedly getting it for the not-quite-two year old toddler at xmas... Probably not though. Better just to keep the idea in the back pocket for when he gets older.

Back