Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I do think there's a grain of truth in Dan-'s point... If you want to level up your cooking, it makes sense to spread your investments, instead of having a very 'unbalanced' set of gear. Yes, total amount of pans or their price isn't going to make you a good cook on its own, but on the low end you do run into a point where lack of pans (or low quality) can limit your options / make it a struggle.

So it makes sense to invest at least a little bit into that section of cooking instead of doubling down on the diminishing returns territory of knives. Of course the same argument can be made for all aspects of cooking equipment when offset to the cost of buying good ingredients. Once you hit a certain minimum level you hit diminishing returns and any extra money is probably better spent on better ingredients if you want to have a better result.
Luckily though a lot of good quality stuff is pretty much a life-time investment, so from that perspective stuff like good pans is a 'cry once' affair.
There is truth in it, but if you take it to its logical conclusion you could say that any additional equipment or even skills in tangential activities is a waste of time and resources. If the ultimate goal is to become a better cook then any knives past one or two knives is a waste, they don’t even have to be particularly good knives just decent enough. More or better knives will not make you a better cook. Honing your sharpening skills past the basic ability to keep your knives sharp is a waste. Buying more stones to sharpen is a waste, pans, pots, etc. In every case after some basics that allow you to cook comfortably enough all other equipment and unrelated skill improvement is a waste and your time and resources would better be spent actually cooking.

Some people bought better knives to become better cooks, some started cooking more to use their better knives, there is no right or wrong here, just whatever interests you. People with many cooking knives are more knife enthusiasts that cook than cooking enthusiasts that buy equipment to improve their lives. It is a kitchen knife forum not a cooking forum after all😝

Yes I think you are right. It’s more a knife forum mostly populated by people who like the triangular and rectangular sharp objects that other people who cook typically use in kitchens. And some who appreciate the better results afforded by good tools.

Yes I think you are right. It’s more a knife forum mostly populated by people who like the triangular and rectangular sharp objects that other people who cook typically use in kitchens. And some who appreciate the better results afforded by good tools.

Better to whom?
Good at what?

And once again conflating outcomes with the tools used to get there when there is very little correlation.

Several of the people whose equipment you are ragging on are pro chefs. I am sure they probably do just dandy with their utilitarian pans.

There is truth in it, but if you take it to its logical conclusion you could say that any additional equipment or even skills in tangential activities is a waste of time and resources. If the ultimate goal is to become a better cook then any knives past one or two knives is a waste, they don’t even have to be particularly good knives just decent enough. More or better knives will not make you a better cook. Honing your sharpening skills past the basic ability to keep your knives sharp is a waste. Buying more stones to sharpen is a waste, pans, pots, etc. In every case after some basics that allow you to cook comfortably enough all other equipment and unrelated skill improvement is a waste and your time and resources would better be spent actually cooking.
I'm not disagreeing with you there. Most of us are really deep into diminishing returns territory... it's actually why I'm really trying to stop buying knives. It's a fun hobby on its own but at some point once you have some knives that are actually decent any further investment adds absolutely nothing to your cooking. It's actually why I don't really see myself buying much knives anymore at this point. The expected 'value' I'll get out of it is likely to be less than from buying just about anything else (whether that's upgrading other parts of my kitchen, buying quality ingredients, going out to a restaurant for inspiration or buying a book). I'm a big fan of 'spreading my investments' to maximize what I really get out of it long-term.

Some people bought better knives to become better cooks, some started cooking more to use their better knives, there is no right or wrong here, just whatever interests you. People with many cooking knives are more knife enthusiasts that cook than cooking enthusiasts that buy equipment to improve their lives. It is a kitchen knife forum not a cooking forum after all😝
Oh I'm not judging people... I wouldn't go that far, and I can understand why Dan's comment rubs people the wrong way. Actually for me what kicked off the knife hobby really was 'trying to become a more efficient cook'. At some point I figured better knife skills would make the whole thing faster, more efficient, and having good knives does actually help there.
Similarly, I think having a set of pans that don't suck is actually helpful because you're not constantly working against the limitations of your pan / stove.
But in both cases I did get carried away quite a bit... ;)

But in both cases I did get carried away quite a bit... ;)
That’s the whole point. It’s not a proper hobby if you don’t get carried away.

The best thing about this hobby: I get to eat the fruits of my labor, over and over, and the output doesn’t accumulate and clutter the place up 🙂

I was working Butcher helper at Kahala Hilton. They hired me because I carved ice sculptures. Was all over the place carving stand up prime rib on the bone for banquets buffet line. Banquet cook. Where ever they need me to fill in. Didn't have a set position do little bit of everything. George the Butcher used carbon steel Butcher knives. They were very sharp. I wanted a carbon Chef knife. George ordered my first Masamoto from Cherry Japanese imports. After that ordered my knives & stones from Cherry Company in Honolulu. We had Sushi Chef from Japan come to Kahala. This was early 1980's a sushi bar at the seaside Plumeria Cafe was a big deal. He was getting swamped as word got around. Of coarse I was assigned to help him prep. He saw my brand new Masamoto told me it was an excellent knife showed me three fingerpad pressure right behind the edge. Pressure trailing stroke heel to tip. I had sharpest knives in kitchen after that.

I joined knife forum before KKF met some like minded Folks. One was KCMA a Chinese guy who had good knife & stone knowledge I was still working. He turned me on to Gesshin soaker stones, found this forum. Unfortunately he died on his motorcycle.
Wanted to learn more sharpening techniques bought Chiharu Sugai Korin NYC video. Then Dave Martell Japanese knife sharpening, & Murry Carter advanced sharpening techniques. Jon's Playlist on line.

When retired taught sharpening at culinary school for over 6 years till covid. Used KKF to find best bang for the buck knives for students. Knives I ordered could always sell to students after sharpened them for pass arounds.

I've gotten sucked into buying not only knives here, cutting boards, cooking pans, esp. Folders. Chasing
supersteels more cheap than chef Knives. Also enjoy restoring vintage carbon knives.

I've always liked sharp tools would use others chainsaws & chisels for ice not as sharp as mine. Can't stand dull anything.

Have stuck with KKF made friends all around the globe who like sharp everything.

🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705563014093.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705563014093.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
Cancelled the momofuku after the comments from folks. But holy **** the S&B mild is AMAZING. Garlicky. Sweet. Salty. Umami. Crunchy. I could eat this by the spoonful. Hands down one of the best condiments I’ve tried
I'm with you completely here, S&B rules, had it on my steak and cheese sammich last night, perfection.

Since this is the place for nitpicky old man grumblings… Is there any particular reason I’m not seeing for people to bump their BST threads back to the top when everything is sold? Why not just change the listing from WTS to SOLD and let the thread sink where it belongs?

Idk about regular users, but personally I've seen my work get more views after its sold than when it's listed to begin with.
Since this is the place for nitpicky old man grumblings… Is there any particular reason I’m not seeing for people to bump their BST threads back to the top when everything is sold? Why not just change the listing from WTS to SOLD and let the thread sink where it belongs?

Does it automatically bump to the top when you change from WTS to SOLD? I just changed mine today and I have to confess I didn't notice if changing to SOLD caused it to bump back to the top.
No, it doesn’t bump it to the top if you change the thread status from WTS to SOLD or edit the OP.

It does bump it if you reply to the thread saying “Sold.”

Idk about regular users, but personally I've seen my work get more views after its sold than when it's listed to begin with.
I can definitely see why it makes sense in your case because your sold listings act as marketing for future sales.

For the regular BST section where we’re not (usually) buying based on who the seller is, it always strikes me as slightly rude because it pushes other listings (that are actually active) further down and reduces their visibility for no reason that I can see.

Don't let it discourage you though!

I think what's happening is that you seem to offer very high value for money, everything looks well made, very nice types of steel and you know what you're doing with the steel.
But at some point this forum as a market on it's own has probably become somewhat saturated.
Since what you're selling isn't a consumable (ok, ok, maybe 1 in every 20 years of sharpening :p) it makes sense that most forum regulars who are enthusiasts of your work now just own one (or a few), and they've ticked this one off on their list.

I know it doesn't help you at all, but to be honest I find it very refreshing that what you make is fairly obtainable in this day and age of IG lotteries, drops, bundles and people using bots to buy knives they haven't even seen, but the only option to ever own one is just buying blindly in the first 1.5 seconds after it's put up for sale.

I'm not really collecting knives anymore, I use what I have, but I have been tempted by your ads more than once...

This especially sucks when you really wanted that knife but convinced yourself to hold off. You then get a reminder that it’s not yours and fomo sets in yet again 😢

I can definitely see why it makes sense in your case because your sold listings act as marketing for future sales.

For the regular BST section where we’re not (usually) buying based on who the seller is, it always strikes me as slightly rude because it pushes other listings (that are actually active) further down and reduces their visibility for no reason that I can see.
I've had enough "is this still available" DMs when I only change the tag, both on here and the old reddit that I started posting a final "sold" to be doubly clear. I never thought about the bumping aspect of it and that's a completely valid criticism. I shan't be posting that anymore.

Don't let it discourage you though!

I think what's happening is that you seem to offer very high value for money, everything looks well made, very nice types of steel and you know what you're doing with the steel.
But at some point this forum as a market on it's own has probably become somewhat saturated.
Since what you're selling isn't a consumable (ok, ok, maybe 1 in every 20 years of sharpening :p) it makes sense that most forum regulars who are enthusiasts of your work now just own one (or a few), and they've ticked this one off on their list.

I know it doesn't help you at all, but to be honest I find it very refreshing that what you make is fairly obtainable in this day and age of IG lotteries, drops, bundles and people using bots to buy knives they haven't even seen, but the only option to ever own one is just buying blindly in the first 1.5 seconds after it's put up for sale.

I'm not really collecting knives anymore, I use what I have, but I have been tempted by your ads more than once...
Thanks you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissatisfied with kkf by any means. I wouldn't be here without it, and of all the internet spaces I've seen it's really the nicest. And all things considered I haven't been doing this very long.

Back