Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad brisket is worse than bad ribs. Most brisket is bad. On average bbq pork is better than bbq beef. But….. the highest form of bbq is the truly exceptional beef stuff.
B95B16CD-A026-4220-9805-F1BC571DE0D3.jpeg

I completely disagree. Have you ever tried north carolina pulled pork? That stuff is just wrong!
Best pork in the country (consistently) is in the Carolinas, and I do love it, but I think perfectly executed beef is that highest gear of serotonin release. I lean towards SC mustard sauce styles over NC vinegar but it's growing on me the older I get and am more sensitive to fat+sugar.

Another opinion I'll chuck out is Memphis BBQ is overrated. Best pork ribs I've had but average pulled pork and consistently awful brisket everywhere I tried.

Bad brisket is worse than bad ribs. Most brisket is bad. On average bbq pork is better than bbq beef. But….. the highest form of bbq is the truly exceptional beef stuff.
View attachment 250228

We have similar taste in rocks, but this does not look appetizing to me I'm afraid.

Glad we both can live in places that serve food to our tastes.

Baby back ribs are a pale imitation of spare ribs. I think people like them because they can make travesties with a crockpot and some instant smoke.
If you are not that involved in wonderful food, baby backs seem less messy than spareribs (fairly true), to have more meat than spareribs (true but highly irrelevant), and to not be so fatty/greasy (now you are just praising evil). You kind of have to be paying attention to notice that baby backs never really cohere as a great meat, as spareribs do routinely.`

Ugh, this is making me hungry. Gotta go look up fares to Kansas City.

Musings on mixing bowls from a community kitchen manager.

Mixing bowls are for mixing stuff hence the name.
They are not for storing stuff in the fridge or the freezer.
They aren't for holding all your mise en place ingredients.
They aren't trash cans or dirty rag bins or sanitizer buckets.
They are not gladiator helmets, cymbals, or step stools.
If you do happen to be using a mixing bowl for mixing, please note that they come in different sizes. Small mixing bowls are for mixing a small amount of ingredients. Medium is for a medium amount of ingredients. Large for a large amount of ingredients. Extra large if large isn't big enough. Please don't try to mix an extra large amount of ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
They will not get clean unless you scrub them with soapy water.
They will not get dry if they are stacked all together right side up so that the water has no place to go.
So next time please don't use so many mixing bowls but if you must then wash and dry them properly so I don't have to.

If you do happen to be using a mixing bowl for mixing, please note that they come in different sizes. Small mixing bowls are for mixing a small amount of ingredients. Medium is for a medium amount of ingredients. Large for a large amount of ingredients. Extra large if large isn't big enough. Please don't try to mix an extra large amount of ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
They will not get dry if they are stacked all together right side up so that the water has no place to go.
So next time please don't use so many mixing bowls but if you must then wash and dry them properly so I don't have to.

The medium small silicone ones are perfect baking hats (according to my daughter when she was 10)

Explain this.
8d0fac601ecd2d7e7c6f020e0a463e924a9e4031c861b3755556a7c17b22ff8a_1.jpg

Some nihonko steel heat treats are really nice, and I prefer them to some forged blue and white stuff. Old stock Japanese monosteel knives, commonly nihonko or SK, are wicked thin and can be surprisingly hard, though some can be softish too. Many have have had great cutting feel -- edge and geometry. Which is to say, I will put good SK along with my favorite white steels. To me and of course due to alloying, SK has more in common with white, than blue steel does. VG and AUS and molybdenum steels are great for what they are, and I don't mind using them. SK steel can remind me of tamahagane or white steel. Harder steel isn't necessarily better.

Example of how thin an old stock tip is ground

PXL_20230622_235744968.jpg

Last edited:
Some nihonko steel heat treats are really nice, and I prefer them to some forged blue and white stuff. Old stock Japanese monosteel knives, commonly nihonko or SK, are wicked thin and can be surprisingly hard, though some can be softish too. Many have have had great cutting feel -- edge and geometry. Which is to say, I will put good SK along with my favorite white steels. To me and of course due to alloying, SK has more in common with white, than blue steel does. VG and AUS and molybdenum steels are great for what they are, and I don't mind using them. SK steel can remind me of tamahagane or white steel. Harder steel isn't necessarily better.

Example of how thin and old stock tip is ground

View attachment 250419
I'm with you. I have some NOS Masakanes that I feel like have really nice steel especially for the price. Not super hard but they sharpen easily, take a nice edge and hold it for as much time as I'd ever need as a home cook. Also not as reactive as white steels imo.

Edited to add that I generally prefer an edge that's not refined too much and still with some bite eg chosera 3k type edge. Also still very much a carbon steel and reactive but less so than some others.

Last edited:
cia = central intelligence agency, not culinary institute of america
npm = node package manager, not nginx proxy manager

why do projects and orgs do this :facepalm:

Sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of my dough scraper dumping all my mise en place into the mixing bowl 😎

Back