Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goodness, almost had a heart attack. Was working upstairs, and suddenly heard a loud metal dropping on ground noise in the kitchen and then my kids screaming.

Ran as quickly as I could, didn't see any blood but my tetsujin on the floor. Somehow it managed to miraculously avoided any chipping. I told my kids that they have ten fingers and ten toes each, I wouldn't mind if one or two are missing, but there's only one tetsujin in the house, I would not hesitate to sacrifice one of them to myojin to get a replacement.

My goodness, almost had a heart attack. Was working upstairs, and suddenly heard a loud metal dropping on ground noise in the kitchen and then my kids screaming.

Ran as quickly as I could, didn't see any blood but my tetsujin on the floor. Somehow it managed to miraculously avoided any chipping. I told my kids that they have ten fingers and ten toes each, I wouldn't mind if one or two are missing, but there's only one tetsujin in the house, I would not hesitate to sacrifice one of them to myojin to get a replacement.
I expect this needs to be moved to 'popular opinions'

How did the Tetsujin fall?

I usually dry my knives with a tea towel, and then lay them on another towel for some thorough drying before going back on the magnetic holder. One of kids wanted to wipe something up with the towel, so he pulled it without realizing the knife was on there (he's way shorter than the counter top)

I usually dry my knives with a tea towel, and then lay them on another towel for some thorough drying before going back on the magnetic holder. One of kids wanted to wipe something up with the towel, so he pulled it without realizing the knife was on there (he's way shorter than the counter top)
Oh my! Glad no one was hurt.

Try cloth diaper as a knife towel if you're inclined, bone dry in one shot.

If you want something that is (probably) as effective as the cloth diaper, but much cooler to have around the kitchen, check out the Fukin that are sold at JKI. I just got some for the first time very recently, and the thin ones are perfect for drying glassware and giving it a nice polish, and the thick 4-ply ones are working great for drying knives.

Yeah but trauma smells are a real thing man.

Black licorice makes me puke, why? Because Jaeger put me on the floor sleeping next to a toilet one too many times
what is the link between Jägermeister and licoroce? (don't get me wrong, been there done that with Jägermeister, I can only drink the stuff now, a good 30 years later after 17 'parting' shots of it to conclude an evening filled with beer)

what is the link between Jägermeister and licoroce? (don't get me wrong, been there done that with Jägermeister, I can only drink the stuff now, a good 30 years later after 17 'parting' shots of it to conclude an evening filled with beer)
The Jäger recipe includes licorice and anise among other things. It's pretty predominantly licorice flavored, although there is plenty of other stuff in there

Btw, how long do you dry your knives after use, before putting away? Honest question. Typically takes me less than 5 seconds to dry a carbon knife before putting on an edge guard or saya before tossing into the drawer—using either a kitchen towel, paper towel, or my t shirt.

Last night I realized I've been answering the "Only 3 knives" question wrong this whole time:

1) 240
2) Sabaki or beefy petty for chickens/BBQ breakdown
3) Oyster knife

The first 2 are reasonable and common, but have y'all every tried to shuck oysters with a screwdriver or something else? It's dangerous as hell, slow, and a miserable experience. I understand this probably won't be as applicable to our Midwestern/landlocked brethren but I'd happily sacrifice a bread knife or nakiri for a good oyster knife.

If anyone is in the market, the toadfish commercial/pro version is far and away the best oyster knife I've ever tried out of ~50 I've used.

https://toadfish.com/products/profe...jUxvmtlnUxEe3Lj-fFfYVa4v0KAe_0ysaAtYqEALw_wcB

I used to eat all that battered stuff when hit 70 had health problem issues including high cholesterol.

Also being in business most of my life don't trust oils used all day & what goes in it. Since cut out most for two years Janice brought home Chinese with crispy gau chee. Ate couple & felt like was going to throw up. You eat that stuff all the time your body gets used to it. Stay away two years & get reaction.

I do still eat Japanese Tempura light airy batter that doesn't make me sick.
Speaking of not trusting the oil. Churches Fried Chicken was big in the late 80's. I was working on a heat lamp above the frier, when my Klein screwdriver fell into a frier. The oil was already up to temp but they were not open yet. I told the manager what had happened, he was unconcerned and said something like "don't worry, no one will notice". I finished up and left, so I can't confirm:).
1696437030418.png

Btw, how long do you dry your knives after use, before putting away? Honest question. Typically takes me less than 5 seconds to dry a carbon knife before putting on an edge guard or saya before tossing into the drawer—using either a kitchen towel, paper towel, or my t shirt.
I've seen horrifying pictures of rusting on the surface touching the magnetic holder. So I tend to leave it out for an hour or so before putting them back on it.

I've seen horrifying pictures of rusting on the surface touching the magnetic holder. So I tend to leave it out for an hour or so before putting them back on it.
Interesting. I’ve never used a magnetic holder, didn’t think metal would take that long to dry out. Actually, been wanting a wooden, magnetic rack for years, never got around to ordering one, perhaps this year.

I am just super paranoid, it probably takes less time to dry it out. But I usually just leave it there after washing them and go do something else, then I'll put them back when I happen to be back in the kitchen again.

Back