Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this in Made in Hawaii Fair. Little pricy but Ono. Made with HI. red chili peppers.
20240111_102517.jpg

I have finally tried chili crisp. 4 years after the internet went crazy for it, I picked up some fly by jings Sichuan chili crisp. I assume everyone beat me to this conclusion, but it is a meh condiment, the crisp is more of crunch mixed with a soggy chew, and the flavor of sichuan peppers are waaaaaay too strong.

Itā€™s probably ok if you like sichuan peppercorns though?
My unpopular opinion: there is no such thing as too much Sichuan peppercorn flavor.

I like to snack on these peanuts made with chili and Sichuan peppercorn, and mix them with Sichuan peppercorn oil, a product I discovered only in the last year. Numbing!

My unpopular opinion: there is no such thing as too much Sichuan peppercorn flavor.

I like to snack on these peanuts made with chili and Sichuan peppercorn, and mix them with Sichuan peppercorn oil, a product I discovered only in the last year. Numbing!
I've been doing steak au poivre with about half Sichuan peppercorns lately. Delightful

You can definitely do too much Sichuan peppercorn flavor.

Those chinese peanuts are delicious as is. For those that havenā€™t tried them, pick up a case when you get your spicy chili crisp!
IMG_0171.jpeg

I found that there is something like too much 'prickly ash' oil...it literally numbs your bowels into paralysis....don't ask me how I know. ( I tipped way too much from the bottle the second time I used it)

Given how few people on a kitchen knife special interest forum know how to properly sharpen their knives, or use them for that matter, then I guess it shouldnā€™t be a surprise when equally few of them know how to cook. Also that pots and pans thread is kinda shocking. People are like, ā€œI have 15 different 180mm gyutos but only 3 pots and pans, and one of them is a Lodge skillet.ā€ šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Edit: clarity is good

Last edited:
Also that pots and pans thread is kinda shocking. ā€œI have 15 different 180mm gyutos but only 3 pots and pans, and one of them is a Lodge skillet.ā€ šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
If you only have three pans, and one of them is cast iron, I'd say you're doing pretty well with your choices.

I thought of replying to that thread, but listing all my pans seemed too laborious.

Iā€™m guessing I was one of those people. Honestly I donā€™t see the issue. A big stainless pan for acidic sauces, a couple carbon steel or cast iron for most of my work, sauce pan, stock pot, and a pressure cooker for making stock itself has never left me feeling like Iā€™m lacking a particular pot or pan.

Oh and 2-3 baking sheets and a thick paella as a roaster for oven work

I want a lodge, and then I'll start thinking about a lodge skillet...
IMHO as long as you have a decent quality suitable pan/pot in a fitting size you're good, the rest is up to cooking skills....on that same note; it's not as if owning 30+ knives does anything to improve knife skills (or sharpening for that matter)

Given how few people on a kitchen knife special interest forum know how to properly sharpen their knives, or use them for that matter, then I guess it shouldnā€™t be a surprise when equally few of them know how to cook. Also that pots and pans thread is kinda shocking. People are like, ā€œI have 15 different 180mm gyutos but only 3 pots and pans, and one of them is a Lodge skillet.ā€ šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Edit: clarity is good
I wash and dry all my knives immediately after use and yet this is my cast iron

1705093176826.png

I have a couple Lodges myself. Their crepe pan is great for tortillas. I confused that thread with the carbon steel newbie questions. Anyway, the point of the Lodge mention is just that itā€™s a cheap, beginner skillet that really limits what can be made. Though itā€™s good for what it is.

When good knives cost 300-500-1500 itā€™s a little weird to me to still be using entry-level cookware only. And maybe not knowing how to make eggs.

I have a couple Lodges myself. Their crepe pan is great for tortillas. I confused that thread with the carbon steel newbie questions. Anyway, the point of the Lodge mention is just that itā€™s a cheap, beginner skillet that really limits what can be made. Though itā€™s good for what it is.

When good knives cost 300-500-1500 itā€™s a little weird to me to still be using entry-level cookware only. And maybe not knowing how to make eggs.

Congrats. You're posting the right thread when you dismiss Lodge as entry level cookware. :)

Back