Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed S&B, took it along in my suitcase on the last trip—very little heat, which isn't an issue since I boost heat with other ingredients. Pricey though.
IMG_5172.JPG

They can be made pretty easily... however I do not recommend. you and your house will smell like it for about a week......

Been trying a few different brands. still like the old grandma best, but hoping to find something better out side of making it...

Fly by jing is totally meh. I’m optimistic that there are better versions. S&B?
I've tried a few, Mr. Bing is solid. I generally like to mix it with something else though instead of as a standalone condiment.

Chili crisp with Bachan's sauce, a splash of ponzu, a bit of furikake and occasionally tamari is my go-to dumpling/bao dipping sauce. I had some remaining and dumped it over an omelet this morning...fuego.

Interesting, but still didn’t taste like the old one, they sell meat chili in China, the meat has been reduced to tiny chunks over the years
Agreed, it definitely went down in quality for the last 5 years or so. And yes once I found a Sichuan restaurant in my neighbourhood selling housemade chili oil & chili sauce, it has been a no brainer for me.

Ya’ll are terrible influences. S&B and momofuku ordered to give it another shot. 😂

Hoping they’re more garlic forward; the Sichuan peppercorns in the fly by jing kinda dominated everything and I’m not a huge fan of peppercorns when they’re the forefront rather than the supporting actor

I didn’t like momofuku version. I stick with the traditional angry lady chili crisp from Laoganma.

Chinese cooking demystified had good looking recipe for it that I watched ages ago but still haven’t made it.

Not sure where this stuff falls on the chili crisp spectrum, but it's what I randomly picked up at the market. Tbh, it's quite uninspiring
View attachment 292440
That's the lao gan ma(old grandma) brand, imo not spicy enough and not as much garlic/shallot flavor as others. It was what my family used growing up and has definitely changed over the years. It's very msg forward which hooks some people.

That's the lao gan ma(old grandma) brand, imo not spicy enough and not as much garlic/shallot flavor as others. It was what my family used growing up and has definitely changed over the years. It's very msg forward which hooks some people.

Good to know it's not representative of what a decent one should be. To me, it was just "crisp" and that was about it. Have to hit one of the Asian markets around me and find a different one.

the sell by date is important with Lao Gan Ma, at least where I live it often is 'well aged', and you should not expect it to keep forever once opened. It works well in dishes but is indeed a bit flat for a more solistic performance. Luckily it's dead easy to make your own!

the sell by date is important with Lao Gan Ma, at least where I live it often is 'well aged', and you should not expect it to keep forever once opened. It works well in dishes but is indeed a bit flat for a more solistic performance. Luckily it's dead easy to make your own!

My jar doesn't have a sell by on it. It's expiry date is in 2025 and I've only had it open for a few months so it's not "old"

Back