Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
justice for the coffee nerds!
Look, that's all fine and dandy.

But seriously, you have a dedicated thread for it.

This is "Unpopular Opinions", not "Musings of Coffee Nerds with Differing Opinions".

Now, can we discuss TF yo-handles?

Look, that's all fine and dandy.

But seriously, you have a dedicated thread for it.

This is "Unpopular Opinions", not "Musings of Coffee Nerds with Differing Opinions".

Now, can we discuss TF yo-handles?
Now we are talking. Mine is perfect but it was remade by a very talented handle maker. To be fare I only did it because I wanted to not because function was bad with the original one.

“I mix minerals into distilled water to create my own ideal balance for my espresso maker” is at least as sane as “this is a very expensive knife, with good but not unrivaled steel, which I had to pay another craftsman (or two) to rework because the original handle / grind was shoddy but it’s totally worth it and superior to other options”

reductio ad TF!!

Last edited:
“I mix minerals into distilled water to create my own ideal balance for my espresso maker” is at least as sane as “this is a very expensive knife, with good but not unrivaled steel, which I had to pay another craftsman (or two) to rework because the original handle / grind was shoddy is totally worth it and superior to other options”

reductio ad TF!!
You misunderstood only the handle was remade and only because I saw some examples of the work of this handle maker and was impressed, so wanted to see what he could do and to support his craft. The knife was very good as is. No work was needed in my case. Granted, I don't stress with perfect bevels for polishing since to me it is a waste of time and effort on the knife that is actually being used as a knife. I am not even sure if my bevels are not perfect they look good to me, just wanted to give the caviat in case someone asks to measure with a micrometer.

“I mix minerals into distilled water to create my own ideal balance for my espresso maker” is at least as sane as “this is a very expensive knife, with good but not unrivaled steel, which I had to pay another craftsman (or two) to rework because the original handle / grind was shoddy but it’s totally worth it and superior to other options”

reductio ad TF!!
think of it as “project water”

yeah but that thread is dead 🥲
thread-revive-discord.gif

Im about to unwatch this thread if this water/coffee nonsense continues. Please give me a real unpopular opinion. I'll try to get this back on track.

As much as we all love workhorses, if we could only pick one knife to use on the daily it's going to be laser. Just admit it.

Im about to unwatch this thread if this water/coffee nonsense continues. Please give me a real unpopular opinion. I'll try to get this back on track.

As much as we all love workhorses, if we could only pick one knife to use on the daily it's going to be laser. Just admit it.
****, I woulda sent you some of my water mineral mix with todays care package if I’d just seen this earlier

No, no, no as in all things mid-weights rule when you talk about just one. There is a reason averages exist.

I don't buy the bot sentiment that is sometimes stated on this forum. Namely, it seems odd given that this is a very niche hobby and there hasn't been a behavioral trend - emphasis on trend - in my eyes that clearly constitutes botting (i.e. not even being able to see an item in-stock if refreshing multiple times at the release time, flipping soon after releases, etc.). Although I haven't been around for as long as some on this forum, I've still been afforded the opportunity to pick up plenty of bangers (e.g. Jiro, Kono FM, Kamon level of desirability) with my own two hands. I think that some members who have been able to score such releases in the past via FCFS (first come first serve) would relate to this blurb.

Perhaps my perspective is skewed since I use ethernet + fiber and previously was in the sneaker hobby but that's my two cents. I'd reckon that things were much more different back when this hobby was in even more of a niche than it is now and as such knives sell out much faster than the norm that some have adjusted to.

People who claim to like malort have gaslit themselves into a terminal case of culinary Stockholm syndrome. Its awful.

Signed,
A bitter liqueur lover
100% incorrect. But you can redeem yourself by sharing some other bitter liqueurs you like.

100% incorrect. But you can redeem yourself by sharing some other bitter liqueurs you like.
Not sure I’ve had one I didn’t like beyond Malort which is designed to be awful.

Off the top of my head I’ve got - Fernet Branca, Branca Menta, Braulio, Vecchio, Averna, Montenegro, nonino, Campari, Aperol, Cynar, San Marco, and Melleti the cabinet. Probably another few sitting dusty in the back from my collector phase a few years ago too.

Not sure I’ve had one I didn’t like beyond Malort which is designed to be awful.

Off the top of my head I’ve got - Fernet Branca, Branca Menta, Braulio, Vecchio, Averna, Montenegro, nonino, Campari, Aperol, Cynar, San Marco, and Melleti the cabinet. Probably another few sitting dusty in the back from my collector phase a few years ago too.

Averna, Montenegro, Nonino are all very tasty to my palate. More savory/sweet than bitter.

I absolutely love Braulio and put it in that same category.

Fernet Branca, Campari, Aperol, Cynar, yep.

I haven't had Branca Menta, Vecchio, or San Marco.

If you like bitter bitter, I suggest Fernet del Frate. It is in no way sweet to my palate, very much a truly and unambiguously bitter fernet. Took me a few drams to really appreciate it, but now, well.

Averna, Montenegro, Nonino are all very tasty to my palate. More savory/sweet than bitter.

I absolutely love Braulio and put it in that same category.

Fernet Branca, Campari, Aperol, Cynar, yep.

I haven't had Branca Menta, Vecchio, or San Marco.

If you like bitter bitter, I suggest Fernet del Frate. It is in no way sweet to my palate, very much a truly and unambiguously bitter fernet. Took me a few drams to really appreciate it, but now, well.
I’ve had Frate and really liked it, I think Erborista and novasalus were more bitter for me. Went through a bit of a phase with the stuff haha

Back