what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to get some vodka - what should I buy that is more straight forward than fancy, more bang for the buck than 'hip' (or whatever people say these days...), on the smoother side, and available in a well stocked store rather than a highly specialized place? Will be drunk straight up (is there any other way?), very likely kept in the freezer unless there are good reasons not to.

Thanks,

Stefan

I'm more of a Whiskey person, but if I drink vodka (whether straight, rocks, mixed, etc), I use Tito's. Granted I live in Austin, but I think it is a pretty smooth vodka. $20 per 750ml, so decent on the wallet too.

Thanks for the vodka tips, sure to get Ketel, never saw Tito's but I will look.

2 pints of Killian's red tonight, had to wash down some saw dust.

Stefan

And now Several ipa's later a treat. Les Trois Mousquetaires Gose sour ale

Kettle 1. It's great, pretty common, and perfect for drinking straight. Price isn't too bad either

I like the Ketel. Problem is to stay in bed and not get up for refills ;) Trying to find Tito's next.

Stefan

50 today !!!

Had a nice slow roasted pork tenderloin dry rubbed with morrocan spices with a bottle of 2010 Carlisle Monte Rosso Zin

Closing my birthday out be cracking a 2014 four roses limited edition SB

Stefan,
I totally concur with the Tito. It is quality stuff and pretty easy on the wallet. Good straight/rocks and mixed. I especially like it in a spicy bloody mary.
Eric

Phillips hop circle ipa. And that's awesome about tito's in the states it's 34.95 here

Govt. Mule a la Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore with Tito's vodka and Ithaca Beer Co. ginger beer (bought a case on a trip north last week).

W L Weller Antique 107 Private Barrel selection with a single ice cube.

Wheated bourbon

Nose: nice spice with a hint of orange. Cinnamon, as the cube melted, brown sugar light molasses.

Taste: peppery, cinnamon, buttery caramel.

Finish: heavy cinnamon nice heat.

This was selected by Party Source Liquor Store, Belleville, Kentucky, several liquor stores in the area have the opportunity to select their own barrel for bottling from the stack in the barrel house at the various distilleries in KY. Their tasting/selection panel is probably the best in the country. Party source is now the largest liquor store in the US with a microbrewery on-site that also has about 40 fill stations for 1/2 pints, pints, and for growlers. The family has also just started a distillery on the property. It's right across the river from Cincinnati, it's like a Disneyland for liquor. Highly recommended.

Oh yes they have a liquor tasting bar, scotch, tequila, and my favorite bourbon.

This is my favorite time of year.....I'm anxious, making a pot of chile with ground elk and lamb, and of course, Oktoberfest beer, I had the first one I saw, Brooklyn Brand Oktoberfest, I love Oktoberfest Beer.

Nice smooth malty notes nice caramel, nice spice. Let it warm up a bit. Too cold it comes across as anemic but opens up as it warms.

Last night I had some Old Overholt rye whiskey that was distilled in 1934 and bottled in 1940 as well as some 1996 Taittinger Blanc de Blanc.

Moscow Mules, copper cup and all!

nkdNFB.jpg

Last night I had some Old Overholt rye whiskey that was distilled in 1934 and bottled in 1940 as well as some 1996 Taittinger Blanc de Blanc.

Ok besides tasting notes from something that old there has to be story behind a 1940 bottle of rye.

I'm drinking two cans of green death AKA Mnt Ranier Ale...it's all I've got till payday. I'll probably treat myself to substantially higher quality beer. I'm probably going to buy a few bottles of Orval. It's a classic and I love it.

Glen Garioch 12 y/o. Definitely one of my favorite malts!

Sitting in a campground in west Yellowstone eating locally grown Montana beef and drinking a 2005 Arcadian stopleman Syrah. Drinking very well these days.

Sitting in a campground in west Yellowstone eating locally grown Montana beef and drinking a 2005 Arcadian stopleman Syrah. Drinking very well these days.

Excellent Vesteroid!! Joe Davis is amazing. His bottles -- while pushing into the higher priced-range -- are really good deals IMO since he basically cellars them for you until they are ready to drink. When I tasted with him a few years back he told this story that the bank kept hounding him about his loans and saying: "You know Joe, you are in the business of selling wine not storing wine."

All the best growers send their fruit to Joe. Just read through the wines he has available -- it is literally a central coast hall of fame of vineyards: pisoni, stolpman, fiddlestix, dierberg, clos pepe, Garys, purisma, etc.

As for me, I have an '09 Bordeaux and before that had some Kinero Chard out of Paso from Anthony Yount.

k.

How did you come by a bottle of Rye bottled pre-WW II?

I collect bourbon (and some rye). A friend of mine (who also collects) came upon someone who had two sealed wooden crate cases (12 quarts in each) of two different ryes. An Old Overholt distilled in 1934 and bottled in 1940 and a BPR distilled in 1937 and bottled in 1941. He couldn't afford to buy them all, so he split them up with some other people like myself. So now I have a bottle of each.

Back