what is the most reliable NO-BS hand crank can opener?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
my mom had one that I think was a SwingAway that I remember it was bombproof. I was the tiniest kid and I could work open a can of chefBOYrDEE ravioli like a dang pro. I never cut myself on the ragged edges ever.
( I almost gag now if I taste that canned food!). I think we lost that tool in a move after my dad passed. I kinda joke to myself that my dad took it with him..it was that good.

now? conservatively, I have gone thru maybe 10-12 openers in my adult life. last week, it happened again. my current opener started slipping, hopping off the lip, stopped puncturing...GAH!!

AT this point, I'd pay real money for one that would last the rest of my life.

I see they still sell the SwingAway. is it a mere ghost of the OG? what do they have in restaurant supply stores?

I don't want an electric unit. Who/what should get my money?. I see there is a variety of hand held restaurant models. what are you all abusing in your pro kitchens?

We use these. Not the fanciest tool, but I guarantee it wont break.

Attachments

• IMG_3303.png
    IMG_3303.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Another home cook here so, not commercial, but I recently went through the process myself. After a lot of research, I selected the Ez-Duz-It. It was well reviewed and deserving of those reviews since I got it 6 weeks ago. It is the real deal and not very expensive. Amazon has them.

my mom had one that I think was a SwingAway that I remember it was bombproof. I was the tiniest kid and I could work open a can of chefBOYrDEE ravioli like a dang pro. I never cut myself on the ragged edges ever.
( I almost gag now if I taste that canned food!). I think we lost that tool in a move after my dad passed. I kinda joke to myself that my dad took it with him..it was that good.

now? conservatively, I have gone thru maybe 10-12 openers in my adult life. last week, it happened again. my current opener started slipping, hopping off the lip, stopped puncturing...GAH!!

AT this point, I'd pay real money for one that would last the rest of my life.

I see they still sell the SwingAway. is it a mere ghost of the OG? what do they have in restaurant supply stores?

I don't want an electric unit. Who/what should get my money?. I see there is a variety of hand held restaurant models. what are you all abusing in your pro kitchens?
I ran into this issue about 14 years ago. I was on a *long* vacation (months actually). I brought a few basic cooking instruments, but forgot my can opener. I got myself a can opener, and a separate bottle opener with sharp (for puncturing cans). The can opener failed after about 3 cans, and the bottle opener bent on first use. I got the ones pictured above, use them all the time, no signs of wear. I have a nice old bottle opener with real steel (not pictured). The Rosle is an interesting tool. It crimps the cut edge, so there are no sharp edges. It's even clean enough to put the lid back on (obviously, not always the best thing to do depending ..).

I’ve also got a white handled Swing-Away. It’s probably circa 1995. Simple, reliable, all metal parts. I’m guessing money spent on an older NIB one is money well spent.

My MiL has one (Pampered Chef?) that cuts the side vs the top and leaves a “safe” edge. But, lots of plastic and may not last 25+ years.

Been using the predecessor to this for 20+ years. Still going strong. One of the better IKEA purchases
71aeBFqnlWL.jpg

Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Electric Can Opener.

Uses the side cutting safer method. But motorized. Not sure how long it will last. We've had ours for a year. You may not want it. But damn it's convenient.

One of the few Pampered Chef items my wife has bought that I really like. I love this thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4047779902...aAnszypVN9SkVaawRcDQLNHANOtUenYEaAnU6EALw_wcB
We've had it for somewhere around five years I think. It's bulky enough to give you a confident grip which is extra nice for someone like me with hand issues, but not so big you need large hands. It has authoritative opening but is not overly hard to crank. So far it is as tight and functional as the day I opened it.

For me, no matter the brand, it will be side cutting from here on out. 100% sold on it.

that's the SwingAway?
Yes, it's a swing-away. The Rosle is (I believe what you call) a side cutter. The cut is so clean, you can rinse the can with a little water, put the top back on and shake to get the last bits out.

But, a nice bonus for the swing-away is serviceability. All the mechanicals come apart for cleaning, lubrication, or (very unlikely) replacement with common tools. Aside from basic cleaning, mine haven't needed this often, but it's nice to have.

Last edited:
Ebay offer DECLINED. sadness.

oh well, I saw a brand new SwingAway at my BIL's local ACE store yesterday. I'm gonna see if my store carries it.

oh well, I saw a brand new SwingAway at my BIL's local ACE store yesterday. I'm gonna see if my store carries it.
I haven't been able to buy much of anything mechanical in a store that lasts as long and works as well as old stock, even used. So many new things are poor quality by comparison. I can't speak directly to a new swing-away.

I haven't been able to buy much of anything mechanical in a store that lasts as long and works as well as old stock, even used. So many new things are poor quality by comparison. I can't speak directly to a new swing-away.
I had a $10 birthday coupon, so it won't bum me out too much if it sucks.

ez-duz-it for me
I liked the fissler side cutter, but the blade on mine got dull pretty quickly and stopped cutting.

I've had a Kuhn Rikon for 15 years or more. It's a side cutter and makes a nice burr free cut. I tend to rinse and repurpose cans and this works way better than my old style slipping teeth models.

White handled swingaway, a cast iron pan, and two Revere Ware saucepans--all crammed into an orange crate with dish towels. Isn't this what everyone got/took for their first apartment?

If you're lucky enough to find a NOS old one in a hardware store, see what else they have. Those old hardware stores are goldmines.

Those ezduzit look nice--but mandatory to get the one with a bottle opener.

One of the few Pampered Chef items my wife has bought that I really like. I love this thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4047779902...aAnszypVN9SkVaawRcDQLNHANOtUenYEaAnU6EALw_wcB
We've had it for somewhere around five years I think. It's bulky enough to give you a confident grip which is extra nice for someone like me with hand issues, but not so big you need large hands. It has authoritative opening but is not overly hard to crank. So far it is as tight and functional as the day I opened it.

For me, no matter the brand, it will be side cutting from here on out. 100% sold on it.
Was coming in here to suggest this. Same, same.

I wanted a lazy man's non-electric can opener, just zero effort but no new counter warts. I got this, and I am perfectly content, even if it means having to put cans at the edge of the counter to open them. It was not expensive.

1707509212420.jpeg

I'll save my finger strength for knife and razor maintenance.

Any recommendations for one that's available in the EU?

vitalii-lukianchuk-1.jpg
For durability nothing beats one of these. But they are not the easiest to operate, meaning that you need to apply quite a force to open the can.

^^^yea. cook for a community meal where you need to open up 20 cans of tomatoes..and your wrist will be protesting.

I used my Swiss Army knife for a day between can openers and it was great motivation to get out and buy a new twist version.

^^^yea. cook for a community meal where you need to open up 20 cans of tomatoes..and your wrist will be protesting.
No doubt, however you never mentioned in the OP you need to open 20 cans a day.
For durability, the simplicity is hard to beat.

Back