Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that short rib? I found some Australian grass fed strip steaks for $6 a pound recently...

16a2vyo.jpg

I went to a 4 hour ramen course in Copenhagen a few days ago. Philipp Inreiter, former Noma chef and founder of Slurp Ramen Joint, was the teacher. I learned a whole lot about ramen, in particular how the soup is made. Got to bring home a few "super secret" recipes from his restaurant.

I made this portion with my chicken stock which I had in the freezer and I also made my own tare according to the recipe from the course. I don't like eggs all that much so this is just served with medium rare duck breast, onion, and basil.
IMG_20190324_184504.jpg

I went to a 4 hour ramen course in Copenhagen a few days ago. Philipp Inreiter, former Noma chef and founder of Slurp Ramen Joint, was the teacher. I learned a whole lot about ramen, in particular how the soup is made. Got to bring home a few "super secret" recipes from his restaurant.

I made this portion with my chicken stock which I had in the freezer and I also made my own tare according to the recipe from the course. I don't like eggs all that much so this is just served with medium rare duck breast, onion, and basil.
View attachment 50773

That looks delish.

Tasty!!

Lamp, beef or combination minced meet?
Half lamb, half beef. The trick is not to use meat that is too lean, otherwise they will taste dry. There are loads of recipes out there. With garlic, without, with cinnamon, without, etc. I like salt, garlic, a bit of cumin, and a generous amount of sumac.

Made some chicken fried rice last night. Rice came out perfect this time. Cooked the evening before, and quickly cooled/dried it on a baking sheet in front of a fan. Then stored in fridge overnight.

cfr.jpg

What type of rice do you like for fried rice?

I've had the best results with regular old long grain rice. I find that the preparation makes a much bigger difference than the type. You need to get the surface moisture of quick, and cool it quick before the moisture inside comes back to the surface. Using a fan works good for that. From there you can use it right away or put it in the fridge.

The feeling of satisfaction after eating too much pork..

..it's a nice feeling..

Lars

First grilling of this year, did a 5.4kg (12 lbs) brisket. Smoked at 110c (230f) for 9 hours with snake method decorated with mesquite.
IMG_0937.jpeg
IMG_0932.jpeg

Last edited:
My first attempt at sushi rolls. Please don't laugh too hard... ok, go ahead, I did :). Definitely learned a lot of respect for sushi chefs tonight.

Both are spicy tuna inside with cucumber and carrot. One has the rice on the outside of the roll with additional sliced tuna on top. Didn't have an empty squeeze bottle so had to spoon the spicy mayo on top. Taste wise, it was amazing. Freshest tasting sushi I can remember for a long time. Used frozen yellow fin.

sushi.jpg

Knife pic, just because.

sushi2.jpg

Smoked at 110c (230f) for 9 hours with snake method decorated with mesquite.View attachment 50994View attachment 50995

How did the brisket taste?

Been reading various takes on the "snake" charcoal fuel arrangement for long smoke time, some claiming it produces bad taste from igniting the majority of the charcoal after the meat is in the smoker, others saying that is not an issue? I don't know who is most correct in this.

I have always waited for charcoal to reach complete "ash over" before adding food to grills- but also have often added green wood pieces for tasty smoke to the cooker.

How did the brisket taste?

Been reading various takes on the "snake" charcoal fuel arrangement for long smoke time, some claiming it produces bad taste from igniting the majority of the charcoal after the meat is in the smoker, others saying that is not an issue? I don't know who is most correct in this.

I have always waited for charcoal to reach complete "ash over" before adding food to grills- but also have often added green wood pieces for tasty smoke to the cooker.

Taste was incredibly awesome, smoke ring about 3mm deep.

Snake method is the only way I know of to keep an unattended grill at a steady low temperature for 10 hours straight. Bad taste comes from using cheap (pine) charcoal or charcoal that is somehow chemically treated so that it's easier to light. I use Weber hardwood charcoal, which is high quality. Weber also makes a coconut charcoal, but it can't be used with snake as it won't stay lit (too dense).

When doing snake, I will start one end of it with about 15 pieces of ashed over charcoal then close the lid and adjust the vents to hit my cooking temperature. After that, I don't touch it until the thermometer alerts me to my phone that the meat has reached it's internal target temperature. If I'm doing an attended grilling (not smoking), then I ash all of the charcoal over inside a chimeny starter before putting it into the grill.

My first attempt at sushi rolls. Please don't laugh too hard...
Hey, you've taken the plunge, that's all that matters. The rest will come with practice. And, to be quite honest, "ugly" sushi tastes just as nice as pretty sushi.

The hardest part of getting sushi right is the rice. It took me about a year of trying before I got the hang of getting the rice "just so". Every now and then, I still mess up, mainly because I'm not experienced enough to feel and smell the rice to figure out whether it needs more water, or less water, or longer soaking, or shorter cooking…

Cutting the fish and making nice rolls is something that will happen by itself as you keep trying.

BTW, the first book about sushi (I have about 25 of them) I ever bought also turned out to be the best one.
I bought that about thirty years ago, and it turns out that it is still in print:

https://www.amazon.com/Sushi-Delica...o+sushi&qid=1554028027&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

If you want something that's good at explaining basic technique, some of the cultural background, and includes a bunch of recipes, that's the one to get. (No, I don't get a commission.)

IMG_2576-2.JPG

Taste was incredibly awesome, smoke ring about 3mm deep.

Snake method is the only way I know of to keep an unattended grill at a steady low temperature for 10 hours straight. Bad taste comes from using cheap (pine) charcoal or charcoal that is somehow chemically treated so that it's easier to light. I use Weber hardwood charcoal, which is high quality. Weber also makes a coconut charcoal, but it can't be used with snake as it won't stay lit (too dense).

When doing snake, I will start one end of it with about 15 pieces of ashed over charcoal then close the lid and adjust the vents to hit my cooking temperature. After that, I don't touch it until the thermometer alerts me to my phone that the meat has reached it's internal target temperature. If I'm doing an attended grilling (not smoking), then I ash all of the charcoal over inside a chimeny starter before putting it into the grill.

Holy ****.

Stayed up WAY late tending the charcoal fired BBQ, watching the thermometer, feeding it lumps of charcoal and some apple & cherry branches I pruned off the trees yesterday. Made a batch of BBQ sauce while I waited.

The venison roast I did the sous vide/water BBQ with tonight was an "expendable" cut of meat, I shot it about 400 yards from where the smoking fruit woods were pruned from... figured no financial loss if I screwed up.

I did 't screw up.

I'm snacking on it right now while I write. I can certainly tell it's not beef or pork, but it tastes like NO other venison I have ever had. The texture is AMAZING.

I am in love.

Last edited:
Holy ****.

Stayed up WAY late tending the charcoal fired BBQ, watching the thermometer, feeding it lumps of charcoal and some apple & cherry branches I pruned off the trees yesterday. Made a batch of BBQ sauce while I waited.

The venison roast I did the sous vide/water BBQ with tonight was an "expendable" cut of meat, I shot it about 400 yards from where the smoking fruit woods were pruned from... figured no financial loss if I screwed up.

I did 't screw up.

I'm snacking on it right now while I write. I can certainly tell it's not beef or pork, but it tastes like NO other venison I have ever had. The texture is AMAZING.

I am in love.

View attachment 50773
That sounds like a great experience! Any tips/recipes to share for those of us who don't cook ramen all that often?

Back