Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scallops, seared in a cast iron skillet, over crabmeat risotto.
DSC_2711.jpg

More here http://mattstable.blogspot.com/

nice sear, love scallops!

Stefan

Figs, stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto, cooked in the Big Green Egg

DSC_2700.jpg

That looks great! My wife picked up some figs the other day. If there are still any left I will give them a try :)

Not worth a picture, because it looks kind of bland, but it's finally the season for fried green tomatoes. Great for breakfast with scrambled eggs.

Not worth a picture, because it looks kind of bland, but it's finally the season for fried green tomatoes. Great for breakfast with scrambled eggs.

We, and my wife in particular, love fried green tomatoes. Would love to know your method as the ones I've tried are pretty uninspired. We finally have ripe tomatoes here in MA, so I made a puff pastry tomato tart. Ultimately though, when the later varieties ripen, I like them on their own with just a little salt.

i'm doing a Pepin style chicken with caramelized onion and kale under the skin, roasted on a sheet pan (i'd never taken the wish bone out first, until i caught an old Pepin and Child episode a couple days ago, and for all the chickens i've roasted, i don't know why i didn't, now that i've done it) along with some colcannon potatoes.

A few pics I took after awhile of not using my BGE, it's good to be home. First up is pork tenderloin with panchetta with herb de provence rub:

iphone012.jpg
[/IMG]

iphone011.jpg
[/IMG]

Half chicken, kosher salt and pepper:

iphone013.jpg
[/IMG]

Chicken thighs with herb de provence smoked with applewood and mesquite:

iphone014.jpg
[/IMG]

Tomato tart sounds WONDERFUL!

For fried green tomatoes, I like to use tomatoes that are just starting to get a little bit of blush to add some sweetness. I just slice them very thin, dredge them in whole wheat flour, and fry them in a skillet with a little olive oil until they're golden brown and starting to get a little crispy, and salt them as they come out of the pan. (I've veen using sea salt.) You get that sweet/tart tomato flavor, a little nuttiness from the flour, salt and olive oil. They're at theirvery best when you stand at the stove and eat them as soon as they come out of the pan. If they sit too long they get mushy and go downhill in a hurry.

The Texas version fries them with corn meal....

013.jpg
014.jpg
014.jpg

Last edited:
So many great posts lately. Keep them coming!

This one's a little too ripe, but I figured I'd take one for the team and cook up a batch for breakfast and take pictures. I like thin slices. The one on top is probably a little too thin, but I'll eat it anyway--just for you guys!

GreenTomato1.jpg

Very light coating of whole wheat flour:

GreenTomato2.jpg

Fry them up in some olive oil:

GreenTomato3.jpg

Add a little salt, and dig in:

GreenTomato4.jpg

This one's what I consider to be just about perfect. Thin enough to be crispy and hold its shape without wilting, but still juicy inside.

GreenTomato5.jpg

One more for today--baby back ribs on the smoker. You'll have to picture the coleslaw, fresh rolls, cold beer, and a great old "B" horror movie with William Shatner ("Kingdom of the Spiders") yourselves.

Ribs.jpg

Kielbasa corn dog, bread & butter pickles, and mustard ketchup made from scratch. Tomato caviar, red onion, and .
Playing around :thumbsup:
wjxcfk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, very nice posts! Never heard of tomato chips, could eat several pig's worth of the smoked ribs right now - I would even listen to Shatner 'sing' for some of those - and this is the first time ever that I found a corn dog appealing (or even belonging into the food category...).

Stefan

Fried egg puree, warm heirloom tomato, porkbelly, buttered toast croutons, bitter greens, chili oil.
107jths.jpg

Back