Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does everything have to be ruined with cilantro??????

It is often used to much giving a bad flavor, and a ton of people not liking it. It should only be a enhancer. This dish was very spicy, and the cilantro just enhanced it, almost giving it a sweet taste.

My mom has a reaction to cilantro, so when I cook with it for her I put very little in (a few leaves). At that rate she loves it.

Entiendo qué tu dice, pero no entiendo porqué tu lo dices. Mis palabras son mio. He aprendido mis Español en muchas lugares. Lol.

(I hate digging around for the stupid accent marks.)

Once again I neglected to do pics, butt I did a batch of marinated chicken drumsticks on the BGE with Japanese style cucumber salad and orzo salad. Fairly festive!

Great pics in the past few weeks! That pastrami looks perfect, makes me hungry again and it is 2am... Oh, and I also realized how much my rudimentary Spanish is fading away. Need to go to Spain again, better sooner than later.

Stefan

I had another "chopped" day at work. In my kitchen at the CC ( we've got two ) I often have to utilize left overs from our main kitchen and the days that the exec comes to me and just tells me to make something up are my "chopped days" which I love. This one wasn't so bad, The sauce was left over from another special a couple days earlier in the main kitchen and having limited things to work with and minimal amount of time to dedicate to plating during service we've got to keep it simple for the most part ( most of the residents are 80+ years old and are either very difficult to please or just don't give a sh!t ) so anything overly fancy is lost on this crowd. So0o0o0o.....

Pan roasted tilapia newburg, with roasted corn and shrimp relish dressed with a sweet n' sour sherry vinaigrette.

555862_443455899008420_441213818_n.jpg

Nothing too fancy but a fun day none the less.

That looks absolutely delicious Peter!

Details please. :)

Well Johnny,

The piece of meat, which I hate to admit was a london boil from Walmart's new selection of "premium" meats. To be honest, I will not be buying their premium meat again. Nothing special with the frites except they were salted and sprinkled with Old Bay. The greens on top of the steak were "musin" or something like that, it came with our first CSA basket. It has the texture of Frisee and a peppery flavor like that of arugula. The small rings were another gift from our CSA basket, they are the tops of "walking onions" finely diced and fried in butter. I was trying to see if they would "melt" down like leeks but they just crisped up. All in all it was pretty good but the biggest gap in the meal was the quality of the meat.

Thanks Pete.

You may have inspired me to subscribe to a local farm. I think it would be fun to try to incorporate new (and super fresh) ingredients into my cooking.

Great looking plate, though I'm sorry the meat wasn't all that it was cracked it up to be!

Firecracker Pastrami today.

Hey, look who showed up here.

I've been eating like a pig for the last several days, but nothing that looked as good as that.

Hey, look who showed up here.

I've been eating like a pig for the last several days, but nothing that looked as good as that.
Haha... I have a bucket of those pickles for you when I see you next week!

Haha... I have a bucket of those pickles for you when I see you next week!

I almost fainted when I saw we got a response from Scotto. :bliss:

Beautiful, but I must be part of the 1% of the world that still prefers my fish grilled.

Schanop,

Beautiful work on those fish, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Is that Mackerel?
2. Did you use freshly grated wasabi?
3. What are the white finely cut strips?

Hi Pete,

it is not Mackerel (Saba). In Australia the fish is called yellow tail (scud) which I think is very similar to Japanese Aji and/or Horse Mackerel.

Freshly grated wasabi is a bit expensive around here, minimum order is about four heads, so not viable for home use. I use freeze dry natural wasabi powder instead. It works pretty much the same way as the one with horse radish mixed in -- a couple of cold drops of water and good to go, but it tastes much milder and sweeter.

However, what you saw in the picture is minced spring onion (your scallion) and ginger, a typical accompaniment to Horse Mackerel sashimi, sushi, and tataki.

White mound is daikon or big white radish. It is of a Chinese/Korean variety today. Sometimes, we can get a hold of the Japanese ones sold directly by the farmers.

And Tristan, grilled horse mackerel is very tasty too. It's a bit too cold to grill outside nowadays, not a very good option for the moment.

Back