Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fried benton's bacon oniguri, peach/kimchi puree, sweet soy.
5p4fbs.jpg

sorry to post so many in a row. these are from the past couple weeks. being a new member and all i figured i needed to catch up

dress rehearsal for a new menu I put together for an Indian cooking class I teach.

556622_10151048788719415_1994813200_n.jpg

Left-to-right: chunky veg raita, plain rice, hot-n-sour tilapia curry (Goan style), prawn pickle, green chile pickle.

Not pretty but awfully tasty!

Something totally original that I came up with about 15 years ago: smoked marinara sauce. the first week of july here in arkansas is kind of the peak season for various veg so I go out to the farmer's market and pickup a bunch to make the sauce.

487708_10151040719614415_874965865_n.jpg

This year's haul was 74lbs of eggplant, tomatoes, yellow squash, jalepenos, garlic, and onions.

311692_10151040728814415_315475686_n.jpg

Tomatoes go in the smoker for about an hour at ~220F with a bit of hickory.

399370_10151040940434415_1322670137_n.jpg

Other veg goes on the weber for a bit of color

531192_10151040944639415_931038895_n.jpg

results all goes into the FP to be pureed, then into stock pots (1 5gal pot, 2 2gal pots, 9 gal total).

564140_10151040952244415_1496682699_n.jpg

some oregano, thyme, and EVOO goes in. salt must wait until final volume is pretty close as this will reduce by about 1/2. In fact, when this is done it all fits into the center pot (about 5 gal).

311608_10151041606479415_1024033285_n.jpg

portioned out into 20oz containers to be frozen and used throughout the year.

487792_10151041607299415_1760800246_n.jpg

closeup of final product.

one friend took some home and called me back after it thawed, given the color and smell he thought I accidentally gave him BBQ sauce!

Best served with cheese-filled ravioli...

Nice! Mmh, I always wondered how to make idlis and sambar - is that feasible, do you have a recipe?

Stefan

Man, I just love some of these high quality pics. :Ooooh: I gotta get me one of those cameras now. Any rec?

I dunno if you are still interested in a rec...but I got the Canon S100. It's the best compact camera on the market right now. Easy to do everything automatically, but also can be fully manual...and there are lots of cool in-camera effects for your photos. I'm sure lots of folks here will recommend DSLR's--and they do take amazing photos--but the nice thing with the compact is that it's easy to have it with you, fits in a pocket and really does take a great photo. I can share some pics if you are interested.

Nice! Mmh, I always wondered how to make idlis and sambar - is that feasible, do you have a recipe?

Stefan

Idlis will require an "idli steamer"...like this:
dsc01713.jpg

To get the proper shape/size. I can PM you a recipe for Idli.

Here is a photo series of me making sambar as well as the sambar powder (nice to have on hand if you are going to make sambar regularly):
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.500330894414.276058.144012669414&type=3

I can send you recipes for that via PM as well.

So I just moved to Texas about a month ago. My grandpa lives here and he has a small collection of Lodge camp Dutch ovens that he can't use because he's too old to mess with building a campfire. So myself and a buddy Surprised him by building him a steel table for the Dutch ovens. Yup, it's ugly but it was built using only free scrap my friend had on his property. It's also much sturdier than the table that Lodge sells for $250 and is wide enough for 3 ovens. I've always been a cast iron fan and wanted to build one of these tables so once I realized how much my grandpa would enjoy this I knew I had to do it. He was absolutely ecstatic when we showed it to him. The innagural cook was some simple baked beans to compliment some ribs we smoked and then the next morning I made a big ol one pot breakfast of eggs, homemade sausage, potatoes and onion. We all had a blast using it and look forward to experimenting with this method of cooking even more

95b5806e.jpg

fdf96a5d.jpg

f5fa665b.jpg

VERY cool. Been thinking about building an outdoor kitchen for a while now...this will have to be part of the design!

Lasagna - with grilled egg plant in place of noodles, pork sausage, roast red pepper, a fresh tomato sauce infused with infused EVOO & white truffle oil, ricotta and freshly grated Parmigiano and Romano. Pics when it comes out of the oven.

Those scallops are callin' my name salty!!! For breakfast even. Love the sear on em. All that sweet caramelized scallopy goodness.

It looks like what I like too cook at home. Steak,shrimp,scallops,asparagus. Artichokes are regulars at our home too.Doesn't get much better. Great food Salty.

That piece of prime rib (I assume) will make most of us drool and Dave gag ;) Great pics!

Stefan

brushed with a heavily herbed and garlic butter, grilled, served with grilled polenta and smoked tomato beurre monte

I'll be posting the results of my annual Outter banks fishing trip. I bought a Ichimonji 210 Blue #2 deba that has been sitting on my rack, entirely unused until Friday. Going after the grouper. A shot from last year:

photo.jpg

O.k., no pictures, I know... But I just had a ripe heirloom tomato that was sweet, juicy and tasted just like - tomato. With some fresh bread, a few slices of prosciutto di Parma. Sometimes it takes really just the simplest things to create a memorable culinary experience. And at the same time it's kind of sad that one tasty tomato stands out of the rest of the watery red things I find in the markets.

Stefan

Stephan agreed. Lately I've been having a ripe Haas avocado well salted (maldon and herbmal) drenched in lime juice for breakfast. Also, my Cherokee purple heirlooms are just starting to ripen. I swear that if you pull a mostly ripe tomato and let it ripen further maybe a day or so on the counter, the flavor is much sweeter and pronounced. No insignificantly either.

Did a dinner for my clients that have a house at the very top of Bachelor Gulch, in Beaver Creek, CO. Five adults, five kids (6-10 yrs old). The kids eat first, and then get to run around and cause havoc.

Kitchen

Kids
panko crusted tilapia, fried brown rice w/ egg & fresh corn, sautéed veggies of farmer's market produce - fresh corn, summer squash, onions, heirloom purple, yellow & white baby carrots (bad pic)

First
Sweet potato corn bisque w/ bacon lardons, diced chilies, cilantro

Second
Salad of red and orange tomatoes, two cucumbers, purple & green basil, honey mustard lime shallot vinaigrette

Main
Sesame coated grilled marinated tuna, panko crusted halibut, wide rice noodles in red curry coconut broth with broccolini & Thai basil; chili soy dipping sauce

Dhanda_08-18-12_tuna-halibut_curry-noodles_3.jpg

Dessert
12 egg chocolate soufflé (using Splendido's recipe utilizing a chocolate pastry cream), vanilla crème anglaise, grilled Palisades peaches and fresh strawberries in a balsamic reduction
(sorry, didn't get a photo of that one - damn it)

MP Beautiful! Great menu too. I'm sure everyone was happy. Also, very good childrens menu too. i might have to pull out that fried rice tonight.

Back