Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rye bread
IMG_1092.jpg

Breakfast, with seriously undercooked haloumi, which is a fair effort. I blame my wife for it, because she cut it up and cut it too thick,. There, blame correctly apportioned.

Have to say, though, that turkey sausage is really really #BEIGE

And yes, the kransky is badly cut, I was testing the new little knife. Yes, I KNEW the larger knife would be better, but I was TESTING it.

Anyway, it was all edible (and thus eaten), which some days has to be the baseline.

XH1A4731.jpg

After breakfast job - making some ghee. We're pretty lucky down here, even our supermarket butter is perfectly good for this, so I have a kilo of that, chopped up and into the saucepan, boil it up on the induction for a bit until it clarifies, then through the nut-milk bag into the container.

I got 770g of ghee, so a 77 per cent reclamation rate, which is fine.

XH1A4745.jpg
XH1A4737.jpg
XH1A4736.jpg
XH1A4742.jpg

Spicy Korean Pork on Jasmine Rice. My riff on Jeyuk Bokkeum, a spicy Korean pork dish that's typically stir fried—this batch is roasted. Pork shoulder marinated in shoyu, gochujang, gochugaru, Indian style ginger-garlic paste, sugar, sake, sesame oil.

196555DB-EF3E-4697-AB2D-B1EAB681BC0E.jpeg

3074B413-690D-4193-82E0-626FF0ECE4F6.jpeg

F75775F3-415E-40FB-A187-5673CD1F30D1.jpeg

075A04A2-6C4B-47BE-9819-A71C0D890FE7.jpeg

looks great, ever experimented with replacing sugar with palm , banana flower or other more caramelly sugars?

looks great, ever experimented with replacing sugar with palm , banana flower or other more caramelly sugars?

I experiment quite a bit, mostly a result just using what I have in the kitchen. For sweetness I have and used dark brown Chinese slab sugar; the thick, sweet Indonesian kecap manis is something I'll put in char siew and braises, etc. I like to play with different sweeteners, vinegars, etc. Never heard of banana flower!

banana flower sugar is not THAT different from palm sugar 9 which should be the sugar in Indonesian Kecap), I just wondered as for some recipes the caramelly, unrefined flavors add a bit of depth.

banana flower sugar is not THAT different from palm sugar 9 which should be the sugar in Indonesian Kecap), I just wondered as for some recipes the caramelly, unrefined flavors add a bit of depth.

The Indonesian kecap manis is very rich and molasses-like in taste. I've been wanting to try jaggery, which they sell in the Pakistani spice shops, comes in these cone-shaped forms.

were those duck eggs Sous vide'd? My best eggs ever I put in the Sous Vide for like 65 min, creamy, nothing anywhere close to the sulfury flavors you get with boiling, loved them if not the lengthy process on a Sunday morning...
the best part of going that route is that they get all evenly goopy :)

Last edited:
Kecap manis is approx half Soy half Sugar, depends on the brand which sugar is used. You can easily make your own so you have control over what goes in; cook light soy with sugar of choice with some slices of ginger, some crushed garlic, half a chili and a star anise for like 10 minutes until it gets sirupy.

Jaggery (had to look it up) probably works really well in Kecap!

Man, I hate asparagus so much. I'll buy it for my wife - because I'm the bigger person here, right? - but you'd have to pay me a LOT to get me to eat it.

So if/when you see me post photos of it on a plate, you can be assured it's my wife's plate, not mine.

Man, I hate asparagus so much. I'll buy it for my wife - because I'm the bigger person here, right? - but you'd have to pay me a LOT to get me to eat it.

So if/when you see me post photos of it on a plate, you can be assured it's my wife's plate, not mine.
You're not using enough garlic. Chili flake and salt are also necessary. They're good grilled. But the secret sauce is to blanch them in salted water.

You're not using enough garlic. Chili flake and salt are also necessary. They're good grilled. But the secret sauce is to blanch them in salted water.

Ya know I've gone through that whole thing of snap, peel, blanch, shock, grill, and it does turn out better but man it's a PITA 🤬

[Edit] it sure does look purty when you peel and blanch though. Picture not mine but you get the idea.

nl-adam-asparagus.jpg

Last edited:
Back