Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roast Chicken and Salad
IMG_6022.jpg
IMG_6025.jpg

ahhaha..

the full house perfumed by roasting chicken is quite the Siren's song..as far as the first home cooked date is concerned.

i've done it for my non cooking friend and gone out the back door when the doorbell rings. i've often wished i could have seen the cutting up of the bird by those heathens. whatever. just part of my wingman duties.

My grandma had always made the chicken die another time in the oven… 😂 Mine is so much better!
Grandma and Grandpa had a small farm. We butchered ourselves. Grandma always made the fried chicken with a brown filling. It was so delicious. Unfortunately I don't know what the filling was. I loved kettle meat the most when we slaughtered. That was the best.

I picked up a rib roast (3 bone). Took off the bones and trimmed it a bit. Going to make soup from the 3 ribs... (stock).
Cut into ribeyes and added salt/garlic powder and thyme and prepared for sous vide, which I will do tomorrow.

They ended up being approx 1.5" thick. I trussed them, so they won't fall apart. Pretty decent marbling for choice beef.

View attachment 214620

first one cooked!

2022-12-19 20.22.03.jpg

2022-12-19 20.24.41.jpg

2022-12-19 20.32.21.jpg

Tuna tostadas with mango salsa (riff on a Bobby Flay recipe from the Bolo days).

69276183492__065B7DA6-8772-40F8-8E0A-5C3119660E74.jpeg

And mussels with chorizo from Mark Bittman. Simplest Mussels recipe I've ever come across, and very good. Bread fried in olive oil and rubbed with garlic and tomatoes. This link should work even if you don't subscribe to NYT Cooking. apparently they let you share 10 recipes a month now. Smart.

Happy Holidays KKF! 😊

IMG_4730.jpeg

Please tell us more about "carrot harissa"
roasted?
ingredients

800 g carrots
60 g pomegranate seeds
10 g coriander leaves
2 tablespoons rose harissa
2 tsp honey
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp lemon juice
20g melted butter
Salt
olive oil

Peel the carrots and cut back the green to 1-2 cm. Divide larger carrots or cut into sticks. Mix together the butter, 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin, honey, harissa, and 1 tsp salt, then use this to mix the carrots thoroughly. Preheat the oven to 230°C for a fan oven.
Spread the carrots on the baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 12-14 minutes until they are tender and al dente. Allow to cool, mix with lemon juice and serve sprinkled with coriander and pomegranate seeds.

The recipe is very simple and really tasty.

Having a late lunch. I made deer cutlets in my copper pan. It browns fast. I maybe could have used less than 3 minutes. I was going to make them last night but I ended up drinking too much to cook. I put Mango Pickapeppa on my deer cutlet instead of gravy. I used Louisiana hot sauce on my home grow collard greens. I wanted to cook Lars's harissa carrots, but my wife did not want complicated as we were cooking Texas Trash also.

We are having a nice Stags Leap cab with it. It is too cold to go anywhere. so why not have a nice bottle of wine.
IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

After seasoning and a light dusting of Wondra flour, it's into a hot oiled pan to develop some color/texture/flavor
20221223_174429.jpg

Then the pan is deglazed with chicken stock, careful to get all the tasty brown bits from the pan's surface, then some commercial BBQ sauce is added, heat to low, and a lid to braise the rest of the way.
20221223_174837.jpg

This is how I make stovetop BBQ chicken thighs.

Yes, it is too cold to grill if you are in the USA right now. My kids and grandkids wanted ribs for Christmas eve, but it is too cold out. I guess I am going to cook roasted chicken and potatoes using the oven.

Latest posts

Back