Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ez weeknight meal. Dim sum style black bean garlic spare ribs and some steamed greens.
PXL_20221213_020049020.jpg

I came across a recipe for Puy lentils and it said they are traditionally served with sausages, so I made a batch of Toulouse sausages. Rustic pork sausages flavoured with garlic, nutmeg, wine and cognac. It went terribly well with the lentils and a dollop of Dijon mustard..
IMG_0294.JPG

Sometimes it’s the simple things that surprise you most:

44862091lk.jpeg

Stilton Blue cheese with blueberry jam on toast.

For decades I‘ve been too arrogant to believe that there can be good cheeses outside of France. But „even the British“ make unbelievably delicious cheeses - and so many of them.

I say that with all due respect and quite a bit of self-criticism. In fact, I have never had any bad food in the UK - quite the contrary!

@chefwp mind sharing the recipe for that cake?
not at all, it came out of Luisa Weiss's "Classic German Baking" which I currently have out from the library. I had already snapped a pic because this is something I'll definitely be making again.
Lottchens-Kirschkuchen.jpg

Today I found in my fridge an over abundance of greens that needed to be used. My initial plan was to run out for a piece of salmon, but work had other plans for me. I settled for one of my favorite comfort foods to go with a big salad, cavatappi-n-cheese.
20221215_184023.jpg

I can't understand why people don't like chicken breast 🤷‍♂️
Here is a slow grown, free range one. Dry brined over night and cooked simply in a pan. Crispy skin and juicy meat with a deep chicken flavour.
With sautéed spuds, a herby salad and tzatziki it was a real treat..!
IMG_0329.JPG

Here is a slow grown, free range one. Dry brined over night and cooked simply in a pan. Crispy skin and juicy meat with a deep chicken flavour.
With sautéed spuds, a herby salad and tzatziki it was a real treat..!
View attachment 214391
IME it's easily explained by a lack of skill and or interest in proper preparation....it took my GF about a year to unlearn the notion that you need to heat the heck out of all meat in order to 'sear it', not understanding that there is a real risk of ending up with a piece of shoe sole....she still struggles a bit but understands the difference.

IME it's easily explained by a lack of skill and or interest in proper preparation....it took my GF about a year to unlearn the notion that you need to heat the heck out of all meat in order to 'sear it', not understanding that there is a real risk of ending up with a piece of shoe sole....she still struggles a bit but understands the difference.
Agreed and a good chicken doesn't hurt either..

If you follow the USDA guidelines for cooking chicken, the breast will be overcooked and dry. But since there a lot of idiots out there, it's safer to recommend over cooking chicken.

At 158° F, it takes less than 30 seconds to kill any little nasties, (please note the use of correct scientific terminology ;) ), and the temp will continue to rise when you pull it. AND the breast will still be juicy...

You can pull at a lower temp, but will have to rest longer.

View attachment 214391

In the US most of our chickens are factory grown and fed corn and other garbage, so they already aren’t very flavorful. Then as others have said we have been taught that chicken will kill you, so you better make it charcoal to be safe.

Usually I hate on chicken in jest, due to how most “normies” in the states like their chicken.

I use Serious Eats method for sous vide bone in chicken breast. Perfect every time.

Back