Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d argue my stepdad is my greatest cooking influence. But this dish is 100% my mom!! This is my comfort food gold standard.
Cantonese Steamed Chicken! She taught me this one. Thanks mom!

IMG_1694.jpeg

The grilling weather was perfect and it made me go stupid big. I prepped and cooked outside all day on my day off. It was excessive. I had an excellent time.

A 40oz porterhouse seared over binchotan, cooked again over wood coals on my gas grill, and finished in a low oven. Also some yakitori chicken. Grilled asparagus, red onion, eggplant, and purple cauliflower came to the party along with some binchotan roasted fennel bulbs that I cut up, tossed with charred fronds, and dressed with blood orange and lemon juice, olive oil, and some cilantro/mint. There was a classic arugula salad with shaved parm, lemon juice, and olive oil. And a cilantro yogurt sauce I copped from Jean Georges.

3341E856-B732-472D-A9F8-4F7B28E1557C.jpeg

138488C3-3882-43F2-8A29-C7DB1346934C.jpeg

73BA97D4-031B-417A-913E-3BCB7EF56B42.jpeg

Here's a video of my outdoor prep station with a Sukenari HAP40 240 and a Yoshihiro AS 150 petty and also a cut video of prepping the chicken. Sorry it's not more focused on the board or my hands or whatever, but this was more of a vibes video than a demo.

And sort of a cooking demo searing this beef off over binchotan.

Last edited:
I’d argue my stepdad is my greatest cooking influence. But this dish is 100% my mom!! This is my comfort food gold standard.
Cantonese Steamed Chicken! She taught me this one. Thanks mom!

View attachment 309593

srsly can we get the recipe for this one? Some of us aren't lucky enough to have a cantonese mama 🙏

srsly can we get the recipe for this one? Some of us aren't lucky enough to have a cantonese mama 🙏
you got it. this is what I did.

I used 2 thighs. I took out the bone and ripped off the skin. cut it up into chopstick eating sized pieces.
marinate them:
tablespoon of soy sauce
teaspoon of sesame oil
tablespoon of Shauxing cooking wine (I just butchered the spelling)...Sherry totally works.
some white pepper
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
I would guess 3/4 tablespoon of cornstarch.
I put in one cube of chicken bullion as a cheat.
garlic, and chopped tiny ginger, and chopped tiny (white parts only) green onion.

while that sits for 20 minutes.
chop up two Chinese sausage sticks into biased slices.
slice up 3 rehydrated Chinese mushrooms
optional: slice up about three fingers worth of Wood Ear mushrooms...
rough chop up 3 fingers worth of lily flower petals. (optional maybe)
the mandatory are Chinese sausage, mushrooms, and the chicken...never tried fresh shiitake, but I gotta think it would work.

now dump in the new chopped mushrooms into the marinated chicken (if it looks dryish..dump in some of the water you soaked the mushrooms in- just to wet it up).. spread it out onto a shallow dish, and put it into a steamer for 15 minutes. done. sprinkle on the green parts of the green onion you took the white parts from.

Savory croissant French toast
(Sunday breakfast for Friday dinner)

2 eggs, a glug of whipping cream, some tarragon, pinch salt

3 mini croissants sliced 3/8” thick and allowed to air-dry before soaking in egg (slicing duty: Yamashin white 1 nakiri that was radically thinned)

Butter in my Coventry Copper omelet pan that I bought as an undergrad 42 years ago. Saved for months; one of my luckiest purchases. Beast is 4mm of solid copper with a nickel liner. When eggs stop skating, some tallow at 550° brings it right back.

Ssllooww fried; served with a Grapefruit Sculpin IPA

IMG_3867.jpeg

Some macarons i made recently, I'm still working on the sizing though bc they were pretty uneven, probably going to buy a silpat mat with the measurements if i happen to do them again. I'd love to be able to produce a box of mixed flavors or colors but right now i'm just going to keep trying to master the basics and then go from there
View attachment 309544
Looks yummy

2nd attempt at Cornish Pasties (handsome). Flakey pastry instead (as had some to use up) of shortcrust.
As it's ARM "All Right (it's a) Masamoto" month used the masamoto ks 270. Must use this more, it's a superb knife.
IMG20240323181527.jpg

IMG20240323165436.jpg
IMG20240323163719.jpg

Nothing fancy just simple dinner.
Salad garden greens tomato. Shrimp homemade cocktail sauce. Baked potato with roasted garlic & butter s&p. We got a air fryer last month been using it as a toaster & other things. First time baked potato came out nice. Faster & less energy than stove oven. Been using Sentan Hap 40 just got. 65-67hrt. Nice grind geometry 215mm 189.00. It is San Mai don't really care if soft stainless clading. More interested in the core steel & cutting.
20240323_142711.jpg
20240323_144143.jpg
20240323_145902.jpg
20240323_163133.jpg

Back