Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to smoke a rack too.
Zbs8YRx.jpg

I prefer spares, but these babybacks were on too good of sale to pass up.

Beautiful presentation.

Cheers! I was against using the lettuce garnish—in Hawaii home style sashimi is often served on a bed of white cabbage—there were other dishes I needed to complete and didn't want to bother with cutting lettuce. But I was out voted by my mom, wife and neighbor to use lettuce!

Rain and cooler temperatures finally hit the Pacific NW. So naturaly it's time for some glorified baked ziti.

Basically . . . it's freestyle pork ragu (fry up some mirepoix/soffritto in butter and olive oil, brown some pork sausage (I cheated and used the bulk "spicy italian" from New Seasons) and ground beef, deglaze with white wine, add stock and peeled/hand-crushed san marzanos, crushed chili, herbs from the garden - oregano and thyme, simmer for a few hours), made some "fonduta di parmigiano reggiano" (bechamel + parm), tossed it all with rigatoni and some mozzarella, add more cheese. Baked and broiled. Finish with some more herb. Served with garlic bread. Major food coma.

whmtti.jpg

And here are some random (poor) pics of the process. Forgot pics of the parm fondue/bechamel-whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Which is too bad. Because it was like crack. I could pour that over some macaroni, add some cracked pepper, and call it a day forever.

900vpi.jpg

rle2yf.jpg

a61rs.jpg

ehkeo0.jpg

Time to go to the gym . . .

Made 26 very large plates of duck salad (smoked duck breast, leg confit, skin chips, foie gras terrine, frisee, pomegranate seeds, shallot, walnuts, old balsamic) yesterday for a family celebration, as well as 26x4 different appetizers (shrimp and mango ceviche, salmon tartare, smoked trout mousse, and shredded crab sliders) and 3 desserts (20x apple cinnamon roses, 2x frozen strawberry cheesecake, and 2x MPW's Lemon Tart). Then served as bartender afterwards from 10 pm to 5 am.

Was a good event, but I'm done with cooking for the next few days.

Made 26 very large plates of duck salad (smoked duck breast, leg confit, skin chips, foie gras terrine, frisee, pomegranate seeds, shallot, walnuts, old balsamic) yesterday for a family celebration, as well as 26x4 different appetizers (shrimp and mango ceviche, salmon tartare, smoked trout mousse, and shredded crab sliders) and 3 desserts (20x apple cinnamon roses, 2x frozen strawberry cheesecake, and 2x MPW's Lemon Tart). Then served as bartender afterwards from 10 pm to 5 am.

Was a good event, but I'm done with cooking for the next few days.

Pics or it never happened ;-)

Lars

Was so damn tired I forgot to take any. Will have to ask around the family to see if anyone has some. If so, I will post.

Free 300mm Toyama sujihiki to whoever can guess where this ribeye is from.

IMG_20171006_191750.jpg

Restrictions to eligibility and terms and conditions apply.

I am sorry to say that you are all wrong and no prize will be delivered. Thanks for playing.

The correct answer is Finland. Free-roaming grass fed Finnish wagyu. Didn't even know that was a thing until my butcher provided me with a sample. Tastes as good as any wagyu I've had.

I am sorry to say that you are all wrong and no prize will be delivered. Thanks for playing.

The correct answer is Finland. Free-roaming grass fed Finnish wagyu. Didn't even know that was a thing until my butcher provided me with a sample. Tastes as good as any wagyu I've had.

Well I was going to guess the Basque region but maybe my screen (laptop) is bit yellow in pigment! Beautiful pieces regardless ... happy cows = happy food ... but what did you make of them?! Enquiring minds want to know ...

Those four steaks are roughly 350-400g each. Price per kilo was 700 DKK. Considering the price and that I hadn't tasted the meat before, I didn't want to do too much to it.
Salt and pepper and an oil rub before going on a ripping hot De Buyer carbon steel pan. 2 minutes per sides for medium rare, while basting with the rendered beef fat and a little butter. Rest for 8 minutes or so. Served with an ice cold smashed cucumber salad, boiled fingerling potatoes, and a Trappistes Rochefort 10.

The meat had been dry aged for 21 days. Flavor was as expected, very beefy, but not a lot of that funky aged flavor. Not cheesy at all. Meat was incredibly tender, almost like it had been braised for hours but still with a slight spring. It wasn't better or worse than the Japanese wagyu I had a few months ago, but it was almost half price, so a clear winner in bang for buck. Pretty cool that it's from Finland and free range though. Never had Finnish beef before (or at least since I was 3 years old and lived in Helsinki), only wild game.

@DamageInc I guess colds are the times of the year cooking enthusiasts everywhere dedicate to exploring texture and basic tastes :)

Back