Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compared to #5345, your learning curve is definitely on the right trajectory! Picture of the crumb please, once it has cooled down :)

It might be my skills, or the fact that this one was actually done with a proper sourdough, a nice recipe and scales with batteries. I did a lot of baking 10 years ago. Reactivating my past knowledge has proven harder than I hoped it would. But I think and hope you’re right: this one should be on the right track [emoji16]

0124201858.jpg

@lowercasebill That looks very nice! So, salmon and potatoes in a cream sauce, with tobiko and ikura. Care to let us know what went into the sauce?

We really need that recipe sub-forum… :)

Potatoes cooked in strong dashi (i used a dashi tea bag) poured off most of the stock added salmon steamed added 1/2 and 1/2 brought to simmmer salt and pepper put in bowl added fish eggs . really simple once the shopping is done. Cold and damp here fishy comfort food.

Oooooh, I was going to request a recipe for this on the new recipe forum/sub-section. Looks wonderful! Care to share the recipe? [emoji6]
Love too!

half lb of ground pork. I put about 1.5 teaspoon of light soy, teaspoon of sesame oil, big pinc of sugar. And then about a heaping teaspoon of corn starch, massage it into a gooey mess. (I do this with all my wok cooked meats now). Ant meat works. Ground turkey is great.

I use a wok :

Oil, till it smokes. in goes about a pinky size wad of ginger - smashed and minced
In goes a fast full of the spring onion white parts - save the greens for later
I push it to the back of the wok and toss in the pork. I spread the pork around and bring the aromatics on top to keep them from burning. Let the pork sear a bit then toss it all together.
Now goes in chopped fermented black bean and mince garlic. Teaspoon of each?
Then my sauce I have ready. Toss it in. (Sauce is broad bean paste, Korean gochuchange bean paste, Chinese chili oil, tiny bit of dark soy, drizzle of sesame oil, I think I added sugar here too - mix with some tiny bit of warm water to make it pourable). pour in sauce. Let it sizzle.
then goes in my Sichuan pepper corn oil. (I grind the pepper corns a tablespoon of so in my mortar and pestle, drop it in a tiny fry pan with a tablespoon of oil. Hear it up till it sizzles and perfumes the house. ( I suppose the dry pepper corns can go straight in. I think my stepdad just used the perfumed oil, and tossed the spent grinding)

now drizzle in some water. The corn starch in the pork thickens the sauce. Taste it for seasoning. Lower in cubed tofu. Most people pre boil the tofu. I’m lazy. I know you can microwave it. I did boil that huge hunk in the photo because I needed to get it hot.

pour on a fist of the sliced green onion part. Serve.

if you don’t have a wok you can do parts and set it aside and bring it all together in the end. If this is confusing as heck. Let me know. I can type it out in WORD and post it up. This is tough on my iPad.

As an object lesson that “sharp knives aren’t dangerous, dull knives are”, this wedgy, sticky piece of cheap stainless steel took off a decent size chunk of fingertip this evening.

What would you guys have used to prep butternut, without risking either fingertips or fingernail sized chips? Decent technique and knife skills are not acceptable answers :p

BA0C57BB-E8FD-4D44-A7E0-E17DA556B817.jpeg

As an object lesson that “sharp knives aren’t dangerous, dull knives are”, this wedgy, sticky piece of cheap stainless steel took off a decent size chunk of fingertip this evening.

What would you guys have used to prep butternut, without risking either fingertips or fingernail sized chips? Decent technique and knife skills are not acceptable answers :p

View attachment 69824
A victorinox fibrox 10 inch chef .

Usually 270mm gyutos. Sharpest one and properly thinned so it doesn't wedge. The added weight usually helps to split them in half without having to force the knife through. Having the patience to go slower also helps.

Not to sound conceited but I wish I could of used the Organic bakers flour instead of the bakers flour from Woolworth's because I think I could of gotten a better ferment/rise. I just couldnt be bothered to get to Springfield to buy it ;)

Back