Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was spontaneous Japanese evening with friends, Shojin Ryori:

44557309ky.jpeg

44557310po.jpeg

44557313jo.jpeg

44557314zz.jpeg

44557315yg.jpeg
44560956ay.jpeg

Last edited:
Duck sausage with salad and sourdough bread with imported Roquefort cheese. The sausage and bread are home-made, as is the honey fermented garlic on the salad. I bought the truffled balsamic vinegar glaze; forgive me for that, please.

The sprouts photo-bombed their way into the dish again. Pushy bloody bastards…

1666263093598.jpeg

What a nice compliment - thank you!
I love it, the work has depth... a quality not often found IMO...we're suckers for nice porcelain/stoneware but seldom find nice pieces that are not mass manufactured. I love the Japanese concept of choosing each bowl and dish to compliment what is presented in it but you need LOADS of stuff to make that work.

Jamaican beef stew with coconut milk. I had fun with this. I used home grown habanero peppers.

If nothing else my wife helped, and she used my 10-inch chef knife for the first time. I left it laying on the cutting board. She chopped the 6 cloves of garlic and the 1 inch of ginger. Yea, she may come around as I am happy now. It did taste good also.
View attachment 203975

So, I have a question, are habanero peppers and scotch bonnet peppers close in taste? I was down in Jamaica in mid-September, and they used a lot of scotch bonnet peppers. Of course, I did not have any for this dish, so I used habanero peppers. I have not eaten enough scotch bonnet peppers to know. I know Thia bird peppers and habanero peppers have a really different taste to me. I like them each in the appropriate dishes.

Maybe next year I need to try and grow some scotch bonnet peppers. The Thai bird peppers that I have grown don't make small little peppers. Maybe they are grown in pots. Pepper plants in Texas grow big. They kind of have the same taste but they grow about 1 1/4 inch long and thicker but not as hot as the little bird peppers I have in Asian restaurants. I have been told small leaf small pepper. But when I plant them in the garden the leaves get big,

Last edited:
So, I have a question, are habanero peppers and scotch bonnet peppers close in taste? I was down in Jamaica in mid-September, and they used a lot of scotch bonnet peppers. Of course, I did not have any for this dish, so I used habanero peppers. I have not eaten enough scotch bonnet peppers to know. I know Thia bird peppers and habanero peppers have a really different taste to me. I like them each in the appropriate dishes.

Maybe next year I need to try and grow some scotch bonnet peppers. The Thai bird peppers that I have grown don't make small little peppers. Maybe they are grown in pots. Pepper plants in Texas grow big. They kind of have the same taste but they grow about 1 1/4 inch long and thicker but not as hot as the little bird peppers I have in Asian restaurants. I have been told small leaf small pepper.
Where do you get your seeds? Also, what plants are nearby your peppers? Could be cross pollinated.

It could be. I try to separate the peppers. I have my habanero peppers about 25 feet away from my serrano peppers. I don't grow mild peppers because of cross pollination.

It could be. I try to separate the peppers. I have my habanero peppers about 25 feet away from my serrano peppers. I don't grow mild peppers because of cross pollination.

Hmm could still be, depending on the wind conditions but that sounds far enough away to avoid any major problems. Its gotta be in that BIG Texas water!

I made this bread for the first time. I decided to try my clay pan which I don't know how to use. I soaked it in water before. The bread loaf did not work well. I ended up with a dark top and a light bottom. The USA loaf pan worked fine so I guess I will buy a second one. Anybody know how to use my clay loaf pan. What is for?
Plus the clay pan took 20 minutes longer to cook. We were looking for 195 degrees temp.

PS
I did a better job shaping the dark brown loaf dough. I kind of screwed up the dough shaping in the lighter load. This is Kitchen aid made dough, real easy.

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to try my clay pan which I don't know how to use.
Römertopf technique is a little different, videos like this may help – hope it’s useful!

The last time I baked in clay I had good results. Admittedly this was in Germany more than 10 years ago:

Attachments

• 5326F903-F0FF-46A9-9C89-A5BF66F53A15.jpeg
    5326F903-F0FF-46A9-9C89-A5BF66F53A15.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 70AB2803-B464-4CD9-B42C-7222C4238976.jpeg
    70AB2803-B464-4CD9-B42C-7222C4238976.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back