What's your favorite 240mm Gyuto under $300

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When do they usually restock? Mid summer? I reached out to JKI but have heard anything back yet.
Best bet was to enter your email and check it everyday, I got notification one time on 270mm, and it’s only 1 available. They can be gone fast, Kochi is very underrated mid workhorse for the price, if I have to choose between same size Yoshikane and Kochi I’d pick Kochi because more comfortable to hold(more rounded spine and good working handle)

Another vote for Yoshikane but I'll take SKD12/A2 over Shirogami 2. The Kochi and the Mazaki are both great options too. I haven't used a Wakui or a Gesshin Ginga. I think it comes down to which profile you prefer as much as anything..

Another vote for Yoshikane but I'll take SKD12/A2 over Shirogami 2. The Kochi and the Mazaki are both great options too. I haven't used a Wakui or a Gesshin Ginga. I think it comes down to which profile you prefer as much as anything..
Is SKD 12 harder to sharpen than white 2?

People who are better than me at sharpening say SKD and (semi)stainless tool steels in general are more difficult than white 2. I don't really notice personally on yoshikane's skd except it feels slicker on stones. I notice a larger difference in takamura and ryusen's SG2/R2 compared to skd and carbon.

Of course, I'm still rather remedial in sharpening so it might just be incompetence 😅

People who are better than me at sharpening say SKD and (semi)stainless tool steels in general are more difficult than white 2. I don't really notice personally on yoshikane's skd except it feels slicker on stones. I notice a larger difference in takamura and ryusen's SG2/R2 compared to skd and carbon.

Of course, I'm still rather remedial in sharpening so it might just be incompetence 😅

I feel with Japanese knives you need to have a wishlist and order as soon as they become available. Popular models don't stay in stock very long.

As @M1k3 noted SKD12 is slightly more difficult to sharpen than Shirogami. What SKD offers in return is significantly better edge retention (about on the same level as AS) and much less reactive to acidic foods or foods high in sulfur compounds like alliums or crucifers.

I’ve never had a knife that was difficult to sharpen like it needed 10 minutes or something. A couple of the exotic steels, zdp and hap, aren’t compatible with certain stones; I had a hard time getting a good edge on these in the beginning but that was about my skill level, holding a steady angle between stones, knowing when I hit the apex, etc. whereas simple carbons you can be not as good of a sharpener and get a better result. But that’s not really the steel’s fault

Sub-$300 is kinda a sweet spot for me, spoilt for choices in that region. A good number of my knives fall into that price range—Kochi, Mazaki, Heiji, Hinoura Ajikataya, Gesshin Kagero (the 240 was under $300 when I bought it years ago, gave it away recently, miss it). All good knives with different characteristics. Of those, the one I probably use most frequently is the Heiji, perhaps because of the 225 length; followed by Hinoura. I like to rotate knives I use, and will be revisiting the others.
Which Heiji is under $300? most of the models I came across were $400-$500+

Which Heiji is under $300? most of the models I came across were $400-$500+

You might be thinking of Gesshin Heijis, which have Jon’s extra specs and QA and a higher price tag.

You can buy direct from Heiji for cheaper. I ordered a 225 gyuto for maybe $225 (a few years ago, but I’m pretty sure a 240 would still be under $300). Great steel, but a bit thick for my taste.

OP got a lotta good suggestions on this thread. Now it all depends on personal preferences.

Or up the budget to $3k and buy all of the recommendations!
Hahahahahaha! Yeah. These days I've been resisting the false economy of buying bang-for-buck knives. If I'd save all the money I spent on sub-$300 gyutos, I could easily buy a BNIB 240 Kato at current inflated prices.

Hahahahahaha! Yeah. These days I've been resisting the false economy of buying bang-for-buck knives. If I'd save all the money I spent on sub-$300 gyutos, I could easily buy a BNIB 240 Kato at current inflated prices.
That is super true. Otoh i kind of feel like i needed to try all of those to learn and figure out what i want and what i don't want -- there are as many expensive knives not suited to my preferences as there are cheap ones.

There is a lot of fun in buying, trying, and selling knives. The BST here has been a great resource for that and you'll probably not lose too much in the process. You can really figure out what works best for you and try to dethrone it from time to time.

That is super true. Otoh i kind of feel like i needed to try all of those to learn and figure out what i want and what i don't want -- there are as many expensive knives not suited to my preferences as there are cheap ones.

Interestingly, 'cheap' is so subjective. Lotta cooks I know view spending over $100 on a knife as pricey; a $50 Victorinox punches above its weight and is fine.

More challenging to find good under-$30 options, than under-$300. Hey how's this for an under–$30?
https://mtckitchen.com/caddie-stain-resistant-yanagi-knife-210mm-8-2/

Chinese cleaver! I've got a couple $40 knives that make me question the $400 ones.

Most I spent on a Chinese cleaver is about $60 on a CCK. Can't ever see justifying buying a TF Chinese cleaver—I'm sure they're fine, but not my cup of tea.

At least you’re trying out different knives, get to know different grinds, steels properties etc. liked others have said you can always resell them without losing too much. After trying quite few knives including those bang for the buck knives, I kinda get a better idea of what suits me the most. I rather picked 3 good price/performance knives that can cover all working tasks instead of just buying one expensive one.

At least you’re trying out different knives, get to know different grinds, steels properties etc. liked others have said you can always resell them without losing too much. After trying quite few knives including those bang for the buck knives, I kinda get a better idea of what suits me the most. I rather picked 3 good price/performance knives that can cover all working tasks instead of just buying one expensive one.

That is true. The first Japanese gyuto I bought certainly fulfilled kitchen requirements—buying more knives inspired by a combination of wanting to try different steels, profiles, makers, etc. Sometimes it was also just having a chunk on birthday money sitting in the bank account that made me look for a new knife. Using a fairly wide range of knives helped define my knife tastes.

Or up the budget to $3k and buy all of the recommendations!
Well I’m budgeting around $1000. My hope was to buy 4-5 decent knives but realistically We are looking at 3 maybe 4 at best.
I probably don’t spend as much on the petty and Nakiri

Well I’m budgeting around $1000. My hope was to buy 4-5 decent knives but realistically We are looking at 3 maybe 4 at best.
The $300 price range is nice because there is enough demand that you can easily buy/sell until you find exactly what you like. Grab stuff on varying ends of the spectrum, for example a thin Ashi Ginga, a workhorse Mazaki, and a midweight Wakui. Keep your favorite, sell the rest, and continue to refine from there. I've gone through at least 12 or 13 different knives in the past year and still have a lot more that I want to try.

Doi Blue #2 Gyuto 240mm $299.95

20210131_145503.jpg

Geez, there's so many ways to blow a grand.

How to spend $1k:
$300 gyuto
$150 petty
$200 suji
$100 honesuki
$150 deba
$100 nakiri

or

How to spend $1k:
$850 TF 240 denka gyuto
$150 petty (ginga)

Latest posts