What's Your Rosemary Drying Method (Without Browning) ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch_br

Careful man, there's a beverage here...
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno what the hell is going on with me.

I can pretty much dry every herb and have been doing a few over the last month to have on hand for quick access when I'm out of fresh.

20240129_193312.jpg

20240129_193319.jpg

But, for some reason,

rosemary has been giving me fits for 4 weeks in a row.

reaction frustrsted face in jand gordon ramseu.gif

Just when I think I have it, it ends up turing brown near the end.

Ive tried:
  • straight air hanging
  • Mid temp convection oven (125F)
  • Low temp convection oven (105F)
  • Low temp convection finished with air dry
I dont have a dehydrator and won't buy it for lack of space.

Curious to hear your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

I buy it in the store.
If I was growing fresh and had a surplus I'd probably lean to using it for olive oil infusion instead. But isn't it easier to just leave it on the plant?

FWIW of the ones I buy in the store, the ones that are freeze-dried seem to have the best quality. Commercial freeze-drying is done in a vacuum, but you might still be able to do it at home, just layering them out on a tray in the freezer, and waiting.... probably quite a long time. Worth an experiment I'd say.

living in sweden, seasons really makes a difference. spent this fall-winter in sardinia and there was a rosemary shrubbery outside the house that will last a lifetime, fresh 365 days a year. …

FWIW of the ones I buy in the store, the ones that are freeze-dried seem to have the best quality. Commercial freeze-drying is done in a vacuum, but you might still be able to do it at home, just layering them out on a tray in the freezer, and waiting.... probably quite a long time. Worth an experiment I'd say.

yea, actually, rosemary is still great with strong smell and taste freeze dried. esepcially if you mash it a bit. why there's a market for dried basil beats me though.

Latest posts

Back