Where to buy CCK cleavers in SF Chinatown?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

errz

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knows of any shops in SF (Chinatown) that carry CCK cleavers.

Interested in seeing one in hand and picking the right model and size.

Wish I could help but the last time I was there there were so many shops I'd suggest just going for a walk and checking things out. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Dave

Well, I used to work in Chinatown and there are far fewer shops that have stuff like that than you’d expect. The only place I know of that has much Chinese cutlery is Chase International Trading. I think it’s on Sacramento Street. there are other places in Chinatown with kitchen supplies, but only like super crappy cleavers and stainless knives you could get just about anywhere.

Kamei Restaurant Supply on Clement may also have what you are looking for. Roughly in the middle is Soko hardware in Japantown. Very cool place for Japanese tools, mid grade cutlery, and a ton of kitchen stuff.

Easiest and usually more inexpensive to buy CCK cleavers from a dealer here in the US. Chinatown cookware shops have awful internet presence. Half the fun of buying a cleaver in Chinatown is exploring as many different cookware shops as you can—taking a break occasionally for some dim sum or a plate of beef and bitter melon on rice!

Please be aware that in a lot of Chinatown cookware shops, they get a little surly of you make them unwrap a bunch of CCKs just for you to look over—unless you're a very good customer of theirs. If you're definitely going to buy it, they'll probably be happy to unwrap one if you ask to check for major flaws. Then again, maybe SF Chinatown has changed since the years I've lived there.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks guys for the informative replies! I'll report back with any finds. :thumbsup:

Be nice to have an actual name and address for a shop that carries them. There used to be a small grocery store in Seattle's "International District" (AKA Chine Town) that carried them. When the great search started a few years ago, I went back but found the place had closed.

Be nice to have an actual name and address for a shop that carries them. There used to be a small grocery store in Seattle's "International District" (AKA Chine Town) that carried them. When the great search started a few years ago, I went back but found the place had closed.

That would be nice—wish they had websites. I had found a cookware store in Honolulu's Chinatown that had a very good selection of CCKs, but the guy behind the counter was very surly, hardly spoke english, and had no patience for any questions, including just telling me prices.

My pleasure. And if that store is anything like I remember it, it's probably much more pleasant to purchase online :laugh:

That would be nice—wish they had websites. I had found a cookware store in Honolulu's Chinatown that had a very good selection of CCKs, but the guy behind the counter was very surly, hardly spoke english, and had no patience for any questions, including just telling me prices.

:rofl2: That's were I've bought my CCK's for many years:)

Went to Chinatown today to buy groceries. Had not been in the cleaver shop in a couple years, last time was to get a carbon Wok for a friend and those great bamboo handle strainers.

The selection of carbon CCK's was less and they had more CCK stainless blades. Still have the 1303 at a good price, but no medium cleavers in carbon. Still have carbon and stainless bone cleavers. Some of what some other cleaver guys on this forum are saying seems to be true.

I found them in Monterrey Park. I’ll be there this Aug for a party.

I’ll grab a 1303 then.

I found them in Monterrey Park. I’ll be there this Aug for a party.

Boom, curious where you found them in Monterrey Park. I purchased mine from Action Sales (a restaurant/kitchen supply store on Atlantic Ave), but haven't been by the store in several years.

That's quite a long drive from north of San Francisco down to Los Angeles for a knife. Should stop by JKI in Beverly Hills while your in the area.

Back