Where y’all getting fish?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genghis_F

Often wrong but never in doubt
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious where everyone gets fish for sushi/sashimi?
There’s no fishmonger that I trust n my town so I order from a restaurant fish supplier
Overnight shipping of small quantities is pretty pricey
I’ve heard Whole Foods and Costco have sushi grade fish (super frozen tuna etc) but also hear some people buying grocery store salmon for poke
I’ve used fresh caught ahi and maguro without super freezing and accept the small risk of anisakis and diphyllobothrium but am trying to avoid E. coli staph and salmonella

Curious where everyone gets fish for sushi/sashimi?
There’s no fishmonger that I trust n my town so I order from a restaurant fish supplier
Overnight shipping of small quantities is pretty pricey
I’ve heard Whole Foods and Costco have sushi grade fish (super frozen tuna etc) but also hear some people buying grocery store salmon for poke
I’ve used fresh caught ahi and maguro without super freezing and accept the small risk of anisakis and diphyllobothrium but am trying to avoid E. coli staph and salmonella

Just read this:

"Because fish are not warm-blooded, E. coli cannot live in the fillets."

Still fresh fish is a risk regardless so test small amounts before planning a buffet for the family.

Fortunate enough to have a great fish monger nearby, but on random occasions I've gotten sashimi tuna from The Fresh Market. I'm a little spoiled so a little picky, but twice it was good and once tasted a little less fresh so I gave it a quick sear and never had any issues.

Costco for salmon and ahi. Freezing farmed salmon isn't necessary, but I buy in bulk and have a garage freezer that hits -10F anyway, so I portion, salt/sugar cure, and freeze just in case. I've had good luck just paying attention to the date on the package and buying it fresh.

Here's my latest purchase after portioning, ~ 4lb filet @ $9.99/lb

salmon.jpg

Restaurant wholesaler, occasionally at the market. Restaurant wholesaler is great because the quality is always great and they have a clean workplace.
But at the market I always have to be careful because often not all their fish is all that fresh, so when I go there I consider it almost a bonus if I actually buy something. But at least they have whole fish so you can make a reasonable judgement on quality and freshness.
At the market I'll always do my own filleting too... they have no running water and 'clean' all the fish on the same board with the same knife without any cleaning for the entire day. No thanks...

Beats supermarkets though where you pay a fortune for mediocre fish that has been there for god knows how long.

i’m picky with fish. not afraid of getting sick. rather, i just don’t find most fish of a quality appetizing enough.

if i’m far from the source of something that should be had fresh, i choose to eat something else. (yes, i fail being consistent. a lot.)

Just read this:

"Because fish are not warm-blooded, E. coli cannot live in the fillets."

Still fresh fish is a risk regardless so test small amounts before planning a buffet for the family.
its been a long time since i took my HS health class. but i vividly recall that E.Coli is inside all of us. by itself it is harmless. HOWEVER, it is in our colons. and E.Coli is simply an indication that there is fecal matter present. they use E.Coli as an indicator. kinda like if there is smoke there is fire, logic.

i'm pretty sure if i pooped on my hands and touched your sashimi..bad things are gonna happen. (potentially)

In the SF/Bay Area, Tokyo Fish Market has always been good to me.

https://tokyofish.net/
They have a little kitchenware shop where you can get all kinds of fun stuff. Hangiri, Suribachi, Donabe, even a small selection of Mac and Seki Magoroku single bevels.

Worth a trip, for sure. While you’re there take a pitstop across the street at Hida tool for a better selection of Japanese knives! They also have a Bodega Cat that sits in the front window. He’s the real reason to go.

https://hidatool.com/

Back