Which 165 Nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating what I might want in the start of the year. Just doing research right now.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Nakiri. Not looking for a bunka right now.

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Probably wa but not absolute.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

165ish. Already have a Wat Pro 180.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No. Stainless or semi okay but actually prefer carbon and iron cladding.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$300USD

KNIFE USE

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Not replacing, just adding.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Love my Wat Pro and it ain't going anywhere but looking for something lighter, wieldy, and fun just to grab as an alternative. Function over form. Slicing performance-forward. I don't mind softening choils and spines but I won't entertain a TF even if fits my budget.

Like KU and nashiji, no migaki.

Thinking I'd like this one to be not overly tall.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

The Mazaki and Manaka nakiris are on the radar. I know Wat offers a 165 but would like to try something different.

I’d sell you my Morihei Hisamoto which I replaced with a Toyama 180. Honestly the Toyama was a side-grade + bigger. But you said no TF 😢

I am contemplating what I might want in the start of the year. Just doing research right now.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

$300USD

KNIFE USE

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Love my Wat Pro and it ain't going anywhere but looking for something lighter, wieldy, and fun just to grab as an alternative. Function over form. Slicing performance-forward. I don't mind softening choils and spines but I won't entertain a TF even if fits my budget.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Wood

Yes

The Mazaki and Manaka nakiris are on the radar. I know Wat offers a 165 but would like to try something different.
I have 3 Nakiri. Wat pro 180, Takeda AS 170 ku, Yu Kurosaki 165 SG2 Senko. For looks I love and will always go for a Nashiji finish….my fav. Ku finish not so much and Migaki my least favorite. However, the KU finish on the Takeda is textured and awesomely rustic. The Senko is shiny and blingy but I really like it for its difference from all my other rustic type knives. It really looks good but may be a no go for you. For performance if you want light, wieldy and fun…..Takeda! plus it’s cut rectangle so you can use the tip to slice. The Senko is heavier but still wieldy and it just cuts amazingly. It also has a rounded tip so you can rock a bit. I love all 3 of my Nakiri….looks and performance. You know the Wat but these other two also just decimate stuff. Have fun researching and choosing!

USA

KNIFE TYPE

Right

$300USD

KNIFE USE

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Wood

Yes

I will also say that I would look at the Matsubara blue 165. I already had my 3 Nakiri when I discovered Matsubara. I have 3. Suji, petty and 240. All blue. All a beautiful Nashiji ! I love them ……the price for performance is incredible and imo unbeatable. And that Nashiji! Lol I think I’m gonna take my own advice and pick up a 4th Nakiri🤣🤷‍♂️

...wat pro 165?
Takeda good but pricey
Morihei Ironclad TF good and you should try it (it's cheap, excellent quality iron clad, checks all your boxes)
Isamitsu good apparently but can't vouch since i haven't owned one yet
Moritaka good for price
Munetoshi good for price
Wakui excellent for price
Shig KU ok but kinda thick
Mazaki good
Tosa stuff great value overall good with thinning
JNS tanuki may be another option but again can't vouch

...wat pro 165?
Takeda good but pricey
Morihei Ironclad TF good and you should try it (it's cheap, excellent quality iron clad, checks all your boxes)
Isamitsu good apparently but can't vouch since i haven't owned one yet
Moritaka good for price
Munetoshi good for price
Wakui excellent for price
Shig KU ok but kinda thick
Mazaki good
Tosa stuff great value overall good with thinning

Thank you. Indulge me...

You can't have your Wat Pro, what's next in line?

The Tosa ones are cheap, but great bang for your buck.

+1 I bought one of these couple of years ago and still reach for it a lot. It's thin, gets sharp very easily, and is a great counterpoint to my larger Mazaki and Wat nakiris.

F&F is meh.

Otherwise, I'd probably try out a ginga and ask for the shortest "180" they have. That may end up being closer to 170mm. Or I could read your full post.

+1 I bought one of these couple of years ago and still reach for it a lot. It's thin, gets sharp very easily, and is a great counterpoint to my larger Mazaki and Wat nakiris.

F&F is meh.

Otherwise, I'd probably try out a ginga and ask for the shortest "180" they have. That may end up being closer to 170mm. Or I could read your full post.
Yeah, f&f leaves much to be desired. Nothing some sandpaper and 10 minutes or so can't solve though.

USA

KNIFE TYPE

Right

$300USD

KNIFE USE

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Wood

Yes

Masakage Yuki Nakiri 165mm​

1669956422711.png

I have owned one of these for a few months, and I love it! This is taller than an 'average' nakiri by a bit, so it makes it easy to scoop up cut veggies from the board. Edge is super sharp, and easy to maintain. —Photo Credit: chef knives to go

I've got the kaeru version. Also KU, slightly flatter profile, but rounded spine. Hell to tip (sic) is more 150mm than advertised 165mm. Raised an eyebrow or two upon unboxing tbh, but I adjusted pretty quick. Now I can't get enough of the nimbleness...

I know you are looking for carbon steel but I recommend a Yu Kurosaki Senko 165mm

I end up reaching for it more frequently than my other knives because it doesn't wedge in onions or crack carrots and I haven't had to do any thinning after 6 months of professional use and sharpening.

This Kyohei Shindo nakiri was my first dive in to Japanese knives and it's still one of my favorites, despite owning too many gyutos. It just does everything you want out of a nakiri, extremely thin behind the edge with good spine thickness to grab on to. Great heat treat on the blue #2 and kurouchi stays put. You can find them cheaper with the crappy stock handles but I think the slight upgrade is worth it. Not very reactive.

Edit to mention: mine is about 172mm tip to heel

20220728_181957.jpg

20220820_152925.jpg

Last edited:
Back