Which Grill To Buy: PK 300 vs Weber Master Touch?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a new grill for my parent's—partly because they only have a couple of old, rusted, cheap grills; and also have a higher quality grill for me and siblings to use when cooking at out parent's home. We're fairly experienced grillers.

My shortlist has been whittled down to two—Weber Master Touch or the PK 300.

Wanted to get opinions from experienced grillers/smokers who've used either or both grills. Whatever I buy for them will be used for both grilling and smoking. Please limit comments to Weber Master Touch or the PK 300—as I've already done research on lots of other brands and grill types.

hard to go wrong with weber IMHO. I almost always recommend them for anything short of the luxury category (lynx, Hestan et al...). That being said I don't have experience with the PK

Yeah, Weber is the classic for a reason. I've had a few--all dependable and tough.
I've never used that PK300, but it looks like a nice grille. The lid looks heavier than the Weber, it's a hinged lid so you don't have to fiddle with where to put it/hang it, and the rectangular shape has less of a footprint than the round Weber. Seems to be well thought-out. I should give one a try!

(Edit: Just saw the price-tag for the PK. Yowsah! I'm not trying that one anytime soon...)

I've got a Weber kettle, not a Master Touch. My current one is about 5 years old and still in excellent shape. I recently moved to a two-burner Weber Spirit because the heat-up time makes it hard to grill during the week. I'll still smoke on the kettle.

It's a great grill. Well thought out and pretty versatile. There is enough room for two zones and you can smoke on it (snake method) fairly easily.

I seriously considered a PK a couple of years ago. Everything that I read said that they are darned near indestructible and will last forever. Your parents are in Hawaii, right? If that is the case, with the extra humidity and rust concerns, that would make me lean pretty heavily toward the PK. From a specs standpoint, the PK is probably a better smoker setup with four vents and a rectangular shape.

I've got a Weber kettle, not a Master Touch. My current one is about 5 years old and still in excellent shape. I recently moved to a two-burner Weber Spirit because the heat-up time makes it hard to grill during the week. I'll still smoke on the kettle.

It's a great grill. Well thought out and pretty versatile. There is enough room for two zones and you can smoke on it (snake method) fairly easily.

I seriously considered a PK a couple of years ago. Everything that I read said that they are darned near indestructible and will last forever. Your parents are in Hawaii, right? If that is the case, with the extra humidity and rust concerns, that would make me lean pretty heavily toward the PK. From a specs standpoint, the PK is probably a better smoker setup with four vents and a rectangular shape.
Yeah, me parent's are in Hawaii; the smaller footprint and aluminum of PK a plus. I was initially looking at the Weber Kettle Premium, but figured the price wouldn't be much different to the Master Touch once I bought baskets, etc.

Yeah, Weber is the classic for a reason. I've had a few--all dependable and tough.
I've never used that PK300, but it looks like a nice grille. The lid looks heavier than the Weber, it's a hinged lid so you don't have to fiddle with where to put it/hang it, and the rectangular shape has less of a footprint than the round Weber. Seems to be well thought-out. I should give one a try!

(Edit: Just saw the price-tag for the PK. Yowsah! I'm not trying that one anytime soon...)
I did cringe when I saw the price of a PK 300 ($560), but then realized it's about the price as a decent gyuto, this will last for years, and people typically don't collect grills. Or do they?

I did cringe when I saw the price of a PK 300 ($560), but then realized it's about the price as a decent gyuto, this will last for years, and people typically don't collect grills. Or do they?
I’ve got three green eggs and a Weber gas. Does that make me collector? More likely a fool with too much disposable income. 😎

I've had a performer kettle and a summit gasser, the fins that clear the ash on my kettle would rust out every 3 years and the flavor bars and gas tubes on the summit rusted out after 5. I don't know anything about the pk 300 but a couple of my eggs I've had for over 20 years now.

Last edited:
I've had a performer kettle and a summit gasser, the fins that clear the ash on my kettle would rust out every 3 years and the flavor bars and gas tubes on the summit rusted out after 5. I don't know anything about the pk 300 but a couple of my eggs I've had for over 20 years now.
If I were buying for myself, and had a yard, I’d probably get an egg—but since it’s a gift, the egg’s weight and learning curve is prohibitive.

I’ve got three green eggs and a Weber gas. Does that make me collector? More likely a fool with too much disposable income. 😎
Unless you’re firing them up daily, I guess you might be a collector? Aren’t Kamado Joe’s and Green Eggs the Katos and Shigs of backyard bbq-ers?

If I were buying for myself, and had a yard, I’d probably get an egg—but since it’s a gift, the egg’s weight and learning curve is prohibitive.

I would go with the PK 300, it looks well built.

Honest question: why would one buy three identical grills?
More real estate, more options, different temps at the same time and charcoal consumption, on my small I can cook four burgers with a handful of charcoal. A 6hr smoke on my large would take 7 or 8 pounds.

I have the Weber; I LOVE the thing. I was given a cheaper model. the one with the dangerous plate ash catcher. it lasted for a decade with only one time I had to buy parts. the ash sweeper and grill got gross and rusty. easy fix. I ended up moving into a tiny temp apartment while I house shopped and gave it to a friend.. it is still going.

I bought the Weber Master touch. the new ash catcher is a game changer. you can let it burn down safely, and tiny ashes won't dribble down and blow across a dry lawn. haha. cleaning and dumping it is easy. thanks for the reminder, I need to do it now.

now the practical reason to why the weber kettle? the shape! I've baked oven baked friend chicken in mine. the round shape really moves the heat around evenly. it cooks really evenly. I do play it safe and put the fatter sides of meat cuts towards the fire, but in general it cooks very evenly. I think the heat is going around in the circle without any sharp corners. I also like how it is round so my 15" paella pan fits in it perfectly.

Honest question: why would one buy three identical grills?
Three different sizes, large, small, and mini. Mini can handle couple of burgers or chops or a big steak. Small can take a spatchcocked chicken, large can do a twenty pound turkey or several pork butts. The large can do it all, but uses lots more charcoal to get it done. The mini wasn’t necessary, but I got it for a very good price and I can’t pass up a bargain!

Geez, after doing more research I've realized that shopping for a grill is akin to shopping for a new gyuto, there's always something shinier for a little more money.

The PK 300 is $560, Weber MT $300—and for $599 I could get a Traeger Messa 22!

Traegers aren't grills though. They are smokers. We've got a nice, locally owned store in town that sells grills and smokers (BGE, Weber, Primo, Yoder, GMG). Both owners are competition smokers who are really knowledgeable. Before buying my Weber Spirit this year, I met with one of the owners twice to talk about what was the best fit for me. Even though he sells pellet smokers, he didn't recommend one for me. Why? Because it's not going to effectively sear/grill food. It's not designed to do that. It's designed as a smoker and that's where it excels.

I trust what he had to say more than most online reviews because he works will all types of products and seemed much more interested in a happy customer than making a big sale.

Traegers aren't grills though. They are smokers. We've got a nice, locally owned store in town that sells grills and smokers (BGE, Weber, Primo, Yoder, GMG). Both owners are competition smokers who are really knowledgeable. Before buying my Weber Spirit this year, I met with one of the owners twice to talk about what was the best fit for me. Even though he sells pellet smokers, he didn't recommend one for me. Why? Because it's not going to effectively sear/grill food. It's not designed to do that. It's designed as a smoker and that's where it excels.

I trust what he had to say more than most online reviews because he works will all types of products and seemed much more interested in a happy customer than making a big sale.

This particular Traeger is a grill (hot and fast) and a smoker.

I'd used the Traeger as an example to a point—the reality is I'll likely not get a Traeger because of the learning curve for who I'm buying it for.

Weber Master Touch and PK 300 are the frontrunners.

I am a Weber fan boy. I have owned well over a dozen kettles and WSM's. That being said I have cooked on a PK and I think it is a better grill. No rust, better temperature control and easier to do a multiple zones in. If you want the best grill go PK. If you want on grill that you can outfit to do a ton of stuff with accessories like: pizza, rotisserie, smoker etc go Weber. If I was getting one for my parents I would either gift them a Weber or buy them a PK

the Weber flat out works. so simple. boring like sliced wonder bread, but i only went for "it works". i have it down to where i can get the temps fairly repeatable by using the vents.

i'm gonna marinate some chicken wings tonight for some Weber action tomorrow.

i have a friend that majored in marketing. he said it's called "prestige pricing" . the manufacturers bump up the cost to make the goods seem better. i dont talk much to that friend anymore, but will never forget him telling me this. more $ = more pretigious. my $300 weber kicks ass.

In case you haven't seen these reviews:

Weber Master-Touch 22" Review

Portable Kitchen PK300 Review

Max Good is the only full time outdoor cooker reviewer in the US. He is paid by Amazing Ribs, not the manufacturers.
Cheers, I've read those.
I like the content of AmazingRibs, but honestly I try to avoid that website as much as possible. IMHO, one of the most poorly designed websites—very unenjoyable to read through, the articles are squeezed in between the ads on three sides and a masthead; can't even see the entire image of the grill without scrolling. Just my design rant on poor design.
BTW, I like Max Good's reviews.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 12.50.57 PM.png

Last edited:
I agree that site design sucks! I've had a bunch of Webers, and my current and previous are just under the MT series. So, the ash catcher and bottom ash sweeper/vent control are on mine like the MT. It's a great system and their paint is very good. However, the sweeper tends to get stuck, fatigue and will break over time. But, you can get replacements for them that aren't too bad to replace and only $25. I use mine year round and quite a bit running it fairly hot mostly using hardwood charcoal. I can't comment on the PK as I've never even seen one work.

I've always been a Weber guy, but I've seen the PK. It's heavier gauge, has a more convenient shape, looks better, and will probably last longer (my Webers, here in humid Florida, rust out after a couple of years and have to be replaced). On the other hand, it looks from photos (so I'm not sure about it) that it could be more difficult to get the old ashes out of the PK.

I don't own a PK but i would grab a PK360 all day. It's my end game charcoal grill. I have had my kettle for 12 years probably and we cook 1 or 2 times a week on it if i ain't smoking something. Proce is high but one needs to think about the amount of years one will have one, a set of grill grates and you are set.

I don't own a PK but i would grab a PK360 all day. It's my end game charcoal grill. I have had my kettle for 12 years probably and we cook 1 or 2 times a week on it if i ain't smoking something. Proce is high but one needs to think about the amount of years one will have one, a set of grill grates and you are set.
If I had a yard, and buying for myself, I'd get the PK360, such a cool looking design to it.

If I had a yard, and buying for myself, I'd get the PK360, such a cool looking design to it.
Yeah that grill is a monster and built to last. Sure my kettle has lasted but the inside of the lid is all bubbly and well this thing is seriously flimsy, especially for what they are charging for them here in Europe. I will get a 360 at some point but first need to build my stick burner..

the PK looks badass!!! too late to change my vote? :)

how do you get the spent ash out? that part was not clear to me.

2E8A704A-59AC-460F-8CA0-3A7807602519.jpeg
F2AF6354-7883-4AEA-A198-CFC0EEE93A55.jpeg
6D84DB94-8521-4E36-9795-D2983940CFEA.jpeg

7D8A84F1-92EB-431A-AAD0-348C87112A4E.jpeg

I’m a huge pk fan. I’ve cooked at least one meal per week on it for the past 5 years. Ash management is definitely a thing. Although not pretty, a full sized hotel pan underneath is a serviceable catcher. I’m not sure it’s a grill for everyone, but it does perform. I like the small footprint, minimalist design and the heat/vent control make it easy to dial in and maintain temps for smoking. It’s also efficient with charcoal because of its design and thickness which also allows for it to get rippin hot. It’s a meat grilling machine. I still think the Weber is probably more well suited to most average cooks. If cost isn’t a factor and you don’t mind the messiness, I’d say go for the pk. Someday I’ll upgrade to the 360.

Back