Which gyuto? (Stainless/resistant, ~240mm, more nfo inside)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fujiwaras are good entry knives. Factory edge from the ones I've seen though varied between somewhat usable and disastrous. No problem for an experienced user.

Experienced in what regard? I'm fairly experienced at cutting but have no clue about sharpening.

Allright, are there alternatives? Since apparently I really need to get a stone and learn how to use it I have subtracted the 40€ it will propably cost from the budget: 150U$D top for the knife alone.

The fujiwara is what I would consider entry level. Edge retention is slightly better than german steels but being a thinner blade should cut better. For me, I'm neither here nor there on how I feel on that series. If you're truly looking for something budget conscious and bang for buck you're hard pressed to go past the tojiro dp series. I have found them on amazon for like $90 australian which is practically nothing. It's usually the knife I recommend to apprentices these days who need a good bit of kit to get started. I would prefer the tojiro to the fujiwara personally, although in my experience I think that a carbonext or the ginsanko hiromoto are even better again.

If you purchase the tojiro, it would free up cash for stones, which to be honest is almost as important as the knife you choose to buy.

Maybe look at the western Suisin inox. Should be more ready to use, and if you buy it from Jon maybe he will put one if his special edges on it for you.

First of all I couldn't find a german vendor for Fujiwara FKM at all. The closest thing would be a norvegian importer or just JCK or Korin. Secondly: wooden handles are a pet-peeve of our local health inspection and actually afaik unlawful in professional environments in Germany.

Something I enjoyed was a rounded spine on the knife, right under the index finger in pinch grip. Lovely, that. What do you say to the Kanetsugu Pro M series? Any good?

The fujiwara is what I would consider entry level. Edge retention is slightly better than german steels but being a thinner blade should cut better. For me, I'm neither here nor there on how I feel on that series. If you're truly looking for something budget conscious and bang for buck you're hard pressed to go past the tojiro dp series. I have found them on amazon for like $90 australian which is practically nothing. It's usually the knife I recommend to apprentices these days who need a good bit of kit to get started. I would prefer the tojiro to the fujiwara personally, although in my experience I think that a carbonext or the ginsanko hiromoto are even better again.

If you purchase the tojiro, it would free up cash for stones, which to be honest is almost as important as the knife you choose to buy.

I can't really get away from it: those handles by Global ar ultra-comfy. I'd be willing to dish out a little more just to have those actually...What would I realistically need to maintain them at a good sharpness for work over the next few years without having to send them to a professional? What would I need? And are they really that overpriced for the delivered value???

Here they're actually not that expensive, the GF34 would be 160€. That's 200U$D and only 10€ more than the comparable (?) Tojiro pro 3HQ of the same size. Will the Tojiro really be better? And if so in what way? (please keep in mind: I don't know **** about japanese knives in general :) )

Dude, make a decision already :). most of the knives you are talking about or that have been recommended are all good knives. Buy one and start using it! You are not buying the last knife you will ever use. more than likely you are going to get a knife, love it, and buy three more over the next few weeks (haha, know from experience). The best knife to use is the one that you own, so buy one :)

****, man, I can spend my hard-earned money once... Alright, I'll get the global and **** it all.:dance:

All that and you bought a global? Oh well, hope you enjoy...

Oh come on, of course I didn't pull the trigger on something like that...design-y and apparently overpriced as ****. Sorry that my attempt at humour on the post of DaninMD fell flat. :D :D :D

I still have no ******* clue...I want a better knive than what I own, that's it. I'll try some stores in my area tomorrow and see what that does. So far the Tojiro DP3HQ sounds good. :cool2:

Hey, found this while surfing this forum: looks...good o0 Very good infact, what is this?

1268184947-kirit_2.jpg

I never saw anything like this...that fine tip looks handy, does such a thing actually exist? (with measurements corrected of course ;) )

Geez in just one week metalmaster has sold remaining Ginsan Gyuto's. He had the 270 with western handle, now they are gone too.

I never saw anything like this...that fine tip looks handy, does such a thing actually exist? (with measurements corrected of course ;) )

Yes, they exist. The kiritsuke-tipped gyutos look better than they perform, in my opinion.

Just get the hattori fh that you really want and call it a day. Yeah its a good chunk of change more than some others but if its the one you want its really not that big a deal when you think about how often you will use it and how long it will last you for.

It does need rather heavy maintenance though, as far as I can gather...Maintenance I have no Idea about. Could you point me toward any ressource I could read to get a grip on that? :)

It does need rather heavy maintenance though, as far as I can gather...Maintenance I have no Idea about. Could you point me toward any ressource I could read to get a grip on that? :)

what maintenance?? its a knife, not a ferrari :) . its stainless steel. Just wash it and dry it off after using it. only other maintenance is keeping it sharp which goes for any knife you buy.

i think you are over complicating it a little bit. its a tool, not a collector item. Use and don't be careless which i don't think is going to be an issue based on how much thought you are putting into it.

A coworker of mine that does not go out of his way to baby his knives has a FH. He's been using it for about a year now and it is in pretty damn good shape.
It's not the knife I would buy, but it does a great job. And if it gets you excited, then it is the best knife for you.
I will echo the rest of these guys and say that you should buy some stones. It is a little pricy, but the Gesshin combo has been at the restaurant permasoaking in a third pan, being used by all manner of cretins for over a year and I expect it to last several more years.
The Martell set is another option for quality stones that you can keep using forever, for about the same price.

Aww ****, if you can get a good price in Choseras, you are gold. The worst thing that will happen sharpening is you get a raised heel or a birds beak. A quick trip to one of the vendor sharpeners or if you ask nicely a volunteer experienced sharpener from the forum will fix that. You will probably scratch your knife up. Learning, practice, and sandpaper can fix that.

If you are really strapped for cash, buy a fujiwara or something else less than 100 usd and a couple of stones. But you sound really excited about the FH and that excitement can really help drive you to learn more about using and sharpening the knife.

If you are on a tight budget that there is absolutely nothing wrong getting a 1000/6000 King stone (check http://www.feinewerkzeuge.de - get the larger one).

Once you get some real cash just a few stones from Maksim @ JNS or Jon @ JKI :)

what maintenance?? its a knife, not a ferrari :) . its stainless steel. Just wash it and dry it off after using it. only other maintenance is keeping it sharp which goes for any knife you buy.

i think you are over complicating it a little bit. its a tool, not a collector item. Use and don't be careless which i don't think is going to be an issue based on how much thought you are putting into it.

Thought is one thing - thought happens at home, on my day off. Professional use is another thing...by maintenance I was trying to refer to sharpening the damn thing: how often is that actually neccessary under daily heavy use? Can I keep them in shape with a ceramic rod for a few weeks or even months?

Aww ****, if you can get a good price in Choseras, you are gold. The worst thing that will happen sharpening is you get a raised heel or a birds beak. A quick trip to one of the vendor sharpeners or if you ask nicely a volunteer experienced sharpener from the forum will fix that. You will probably scratch your knife up. Learning, practice, and sandpaper can fix that.

If you are really strapped for cash, buy a fujiwara or something else less than 100 usd and a couple of stones. But you sound really excited about the FH and that excitement can really help drive you to learn more about using and sharpening the knife.

Not strapped for cash, but...dammit, I might have some idle money right now but it accumulated over quite a while. Yes, i admit it, I'm miserly. Also how long does it actually take to learn to sharpen properly? Can I not simply fetch some **** from my mums kitchen drawer and train on that?

Oh, and what the ****'s a chosera?

Thought is one thing - thought happens at home, on my day off. Professional use is another thing...by maintenance I was trying to refer to sharpening the damn thing: how often is that actually neccessary under daily heavy use? Can I keep them in shape with a ceramic rod for a few weeks or even months?

I have no idea how long the edge will last, that depends on a lot of things - how you use the knife, the type of edge you put on it...but i know this, its going to last longer than your current knives..who knows a week, two weeks? how long does your knife last now?. Your making a lot out of sharpening, its not that big of a deal. I sharpen my knives in 5-10 minutes, but thats for a full sharpening. buy the 1k/6k stones as recommended. thats what you will use to keep your knife sharp. you will run it over the 6k stone a few times to touch up the edge. that will buy you time and keep it sharp. You gotta learn to sharpen your knife and its not difficult. just buy the knife a 1k/6k stone (or something similar) and get going. yes you can start on some cheap knives for practice.

Dont paralyze yourself with analysis. get a knife, stones and go.

I would call what my knives get heavy daily use. I sharpen maybe once a week, maybe every two weeks if I get lazy, and maintain my edge by refreshing my microbevel on a 6k stone I keep at work. Maybe two minutes for touchup per knife, and an hour or so at home sharpening the six or so knives I use at work.
I rarely actually do all six at once, I have two yanagiba, two deba, and two knives I use for everything else, so I only sharpen two or three at a time and keep them in a rotation. If I try to do all six at once I'm getting sloppy by four or five.

Chosera is a line of stones by Naniwa. They are a solid splash and go stone (they do not require soaking). If they are available to you at a good price and easier to get than shipping something from the states, go for it. Something to look out for is that they are often sold without bases, which can shorten their lifespan. For a bit more you can buy the synthetic set from Maxim at JNS, which could easily be all the stone you ever need.

Sit down with an adult beverage of choice and watch the sharpening tutorials on the Japanese Knife Imports YouTube channel. See if that looks like something that you want to spend a little of your off time doing. If so buy a knife that excites you and a couple of the Choseras, or Japanese Natural Stone's (located in the EU) synthetic set. If not, maybe think about a carbon Sabatier, a forced patina, and a Dickoron steel. You could use that for months without taking it to the stones. It wouldn't be great, but certainly passably sharp for a pro environment.

Back