Why is that one store not allowed to be mentioned on KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m sure someone on here knows EXACTLY what I’m talking about. What’s the beef/history with that store? If there’s a thread that already goes over this then please link it. Thanks!

Should be dozens of threads about it. TLDR=bad blood between the founder of this forum and the guy that owns that store which is way too complicated to get into. But anyway that beef is like from 2008 or so and contributed to the downfall of the old forum (Knife Forums) and the creation of this forum.
Of all the dead horses around here, and there are quite a few this might just be the deadest of horses.

I will say this in complete honesty and people can judge it as they see fit...

Like a lot of folks, I found CKTG fairly early and bought some knives from them. Never had a bad experience. Good selection, sometimes prices are a bit more sometimes less so good balance, dense video library, and so on.

Then I came here and discovered the riff. Did some digging and learned more. All of those things transpired long before I jumped in with both feet and like I said, I never had a negative transaction. But, what I read, and some of the names associated with it being people I respect, notably @daveb, but others too, well...

It's one of the latter places I'll look now and usually only if I'm really scouting around. I haven't shunned them but it would need to be something I really wanted to buy from there.

You can chalk that up to emotion, fool's folly, or even unreasonableness but it's the reality.

I will not buy from Ryky or Dustin.

We are blessed to cast our dollar laden hooks into an ocean teaming with fish. ;)

Cost a fortune in sheep the rapists

IMG_1345.gif

wj
I will say this in complete honesty and people can judge it as they see fit...

Like a lot of folks, I found CKTG fairly early and bought some knives from them. Never had a bad experience. Good selection, sometimes prices are a bit more sometimes less so good balance, dense video library, and so on.

Then I came here and discovered the riff. Did some digging and learned more. All of those things transpired long before I jumped in with both feet and like I said, I never had a negative transaction. But, what I read, and some of the names associated with it being people I respect, notably @daveb, but others too, well...

It's one of the latter places I'll look now and usually only if I'm really scouting around. I haven't shunned them but it would need to be something I really wanted to buy from there.

You can chalk that up to emotion, fool's folly, or even unreasonableness but it's the reality.

I will not buy from Ryky or Dustin.

We are blessed to cast our dollar laden hooks into an ocean teaming with fish. ;)
which dustin?

Had the same experience with that guy (Dustin from RSK) on a pre-order that was like 1.5 years ago. The guy took the money and ghosted me for a while because he didn’t have the knife he said he was gonna and when I requested a cancel order and refund through PP, said he had already shipped the knife and had to track it back to get it back (pure lie). The guy went mad and even swore on me in PM. Got my money back in a week and never went back to deal with that guy.

Had the same experience with that guy (Dustin from RSK) on a pre-order that was like 1.5 years ago. The guy took the money and ghosted me for a while because he didn’t have the knife he said he was gonna and when I requested a cancel order and refund through PP, said he had already shipped the knife and had to track it back to get it back (pure lie). The guy went mad and even swore on me in PM. Got my money back in a week and never went back to deal with that guy.

Similar experience.

I still have the numerous expletive laden emails. Never again.

I had great experiences at RSK up until I sent him an SG2 bunka to thin. After like a month with no word I started to bug him and then another month went by with constant excuses or saying it was shipped when it wasn't. Eventually I just demanded the knife back even if he hadn't started it as by that point I was confident in my skills. It came back in a worse condition than if I had taught myself how to thin on it, scratched all to hell. I didn't get a before but this pic is after I had started a kasumi to cover up the scratches but you can still see the low spots (that match up with finger prints) and all the deep scratches on shinogi and blade face. Just super sloppy. I was out on him after that.

232461-20230511-110812.jpg

20230402_184415.jpg

I’m sure someone on here knows EXACTLY what I’m talking about. What’s the beef/history with that store? If there’s a thread that already goes over this then please link it. Thanks!
There's lots to like about CKTG, and the owner has done an outstanding job of marketing--especially product identification and presentation--but I've never been able to make a single purchase from them. The site creates the illusion of behind the scenes understanding that leads the "enthusiast to be" newbie to promoted proprietary brands and products.

To his credit, those products rarely disappoint--but the stories have been just a little too clever for me.

Yeah there was a time when there was a lot more overlap between CKTG and other retailers in terms of products and services but now everyone seems to have settled into different ecosystems of knife interests for the most part.

There's lots to like about CKTG, and the owner has done an outstanding job of marketing--especially product identification and presentation--but I've never been able to make a single purchase from them. The site creates the illusion of behind the scenes understanding that leads the "enthusiast to be" newbie to promoted proprietary brands and products.

To his credit, those products rarely disappoint--but the stories have been just a little too clever for me.
Thats how I got my start with Jknives. I bought a Richmond gyuto from him. It arrived tipped and was returned. Only other thing I bought from the Dark Side was a Kono Fuji FM W#1. Another dud that got sold on tout suite. So I'm 2 for 0 with Mark.

Back