Yanagiba and Gyuto recomendations [800-1000$]

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamisato

Reaction score
Cayman Island

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Yanagiba and a Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? Yanagiba 270mm and Gyuto 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? Between bouth knives 800 to 1000 $ max

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Yes

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

As a sushi chef , making slicing fish and some vegetables

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Im replacing a Fujiwara Suhijiki 270mm

and the gyuto I use everyday as a workhorse my Hiromoto AS 240mm and in some ocassions my Takeshi Saji G3 240mm

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

in concern with the gyutos i use i dont have any complain specially the Saji G3 is a pleasure to use [if im not wrong is one of the last produce from Mr. Saji before retire] in concern the suhijiki i feel transfer metal flavor to the fish

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
i will stay away from damascus

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? As usual i care a lot about edge retention

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

if its possible 1 week before using the stone

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Synthetic cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) a Big YES

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Basically Im interested more on the Yanagiba I will be promoted as a sous chef in a sushi restaurant the options i have on mid are:

Masamoto Yanagiba Kasumi white #2
Akazawa Shiro-ko Hongasumi
or any Jikko or Sakai Takayuki ?

Gyuto:

My Hiromoto can handle any task, my Saji g3 its out of this world its a pleasure to use but i still want to add one more knife

the Masamoto KS its way to overpriced around 500$ at this moment , the one that i have on mind its an old one the famous "Konosuke HD2" or maybe the GS version, maybe a Yu kurosaki , Gesshin , Aritzugu so many blacksmith that its difficult to go wrong.

best regards everyone!!!!

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the HD2 and would like to try one of the "Y" (Yoshikane) series.

For that matter I would recommend Yoshikane in either the white steel or SKD version. K&S retails them for international shipping.

https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...-240mm-stainless-cladding-with-nashiji-finish
I'm a big fan of Suisin single bevels and the yani in particular. Korin retails them in the states but I don't know about shipping.

I use furin Kazan yanagiba blue two & ginsan, they’re both really nice, or you can try Hide yanagiba from Jon. I have Hide blue one deba, edge retention is super nice, I cut about 10 snapper per week at the moment, I don’t need to sharpen even after one month.

I use furin Kazan yanagiba blue two & ginsan, they’re both really nice, or you can try Hide yanagiba from Jon. I have Hide blue one deba, edge retention is super nice, I cut about 10 snapper per week at the moment, I don’t need to sharpen even after one month.

Jon from JKI , I will give a look I care a lot about edge retention.

I'm a fan of the HD2 and would like to try one of the "Y" (Yoshikane) series.

For that matter I would recommend Yoshikane in either the white steel or SKD version. K&S retails them for international shipping.

https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...-240mm-stainless-cladding-with-nashiji-finish
I'm a big fan of Suisin single bevels and the yani in particular. Korin retails them in the states but I don't know about shipping.

The HD2 has a long history and reputation at this moment Bernal Cuttlery carry it for 355$

:)
Konosuke Sakai 'HD2' 240mm Wa Gyuto Ho Handle Ebony Ferrule w/ Saya

I was thinking at that range price theres other knive that beat the kono?
The shipping from USA isnt a problem my friend will bring me the knives

I'm a big fan of Suisin single bevels and the yani in particular.
+1

Bought my 1st Suisin Yani from Korin in 2008, a 300mm (K. Doi "Hayate"), and have since bought 3 more: 330mm Sakimaru (I. Doi "Hayate"), 330mm Kengata Yani (I. Doi "Hayate"), and a 300mm Kengata Yani (Togashi). The Togashi is White #1 and I am extremely pleased with the steel, however Doi's Blue #2 performs on an even higher level - which serves nicely for a professional production situation.

I confidently recommend Suisin's Hayate line. Excellent F&F, Doi's Blue #2 is outstanding, and within stated price constraints.

A couple years ago I found a nice price on a 300mm Yani forged by I. Doi and branded Sakai Takayuki. The grind needed considerable work to get shaped-up for service (low spots, tip was too high, awkward edge arc in the ~30mm near the tip). Despite the work, I find the steel to be equally outstanding compared to Hayate.

Alternatively, at lower price, I also recommend Nenohi's "Special Dentoukougeishi" line (300mm Yani + 210mm Ai-Deba). I find Nenohi's White #2 easier to sharpen with a little less edge retention.

If I had to choose only 1 yanagiba for sushi chef line work, my choice is 300mm Hayate. No hesitation.

+1

I confidently recommend Suisin's Hayate line. Excellent F&F, Doi's Blue #2 is outstanding, and within stated price constraints.

If I had to choose only 1 yanagiba for sushi chef line work, my choice is 300mm Hayate. No hesitation.

I totally agree with your recomendation, but any suisin yani made by Mr. Itsuo Doi are far from my budget at this moment, the price its a little bit more than Im expecting, maybe I will get it soon but not now. The alternative its this branded by CKTG as Doi (same master blacksmith) at most affordable price point https://www.**************.com/doimibl2ya27.html

the price range that I have for the yanagi its between the 300 to max 500$(I know, I know low to medium yani), looking the best bang for the amount of money.
Im particularly curious why no one mentioned the Masamoto brand.

Last edited:
Im particularly curious why no one mentioned the Masamoto brand.
I also have owned a Tsukiji Masamoto Blue #1, which was a fine knife. It was heavy and piggish in hand but edge retention was impressive. I used it for my "everything" yani and to loan to helpers. I think that was purchased from MTC but I can't recall price. I know I got it on sale, but I am confident it was same price range as the Nenohi mentioned above.

The Nenohi was preferable to me personally. Comparing the steels between the mentioned Masamoto and Nenohi, the Masamoto steel had much better edge retention and the Nenohi was much easier (and more fun) to sharpen.

I also remember a sushi chef I worked with, who picked up a Suisin from Miura in White #3 for <$300USD 300mm, and was really surprised at the quality and how well that knife ended up serving him. If I am remembering correctly, it was this: 300mm White #3 Suisin at Miura

The Saika line by Suisin is a mid priced yani, agree the Hayate is top of the line but not everyone needs that. I would not hesitate to try a Masamoto given the chance. Make sure it's the right Masamoto.

I think the Masamoto Tsukiji is pretty good. One of the first knives I ever bought with my own money was a Masamoto Tsukiji W#2 and it's still one of my favorites. It's a little bit thicker in the spine and has a deep ura, so it's pretty user friendly for people learning how to sharpen single bevels. My particular version was very straight and the kireha was outstanding. I've used many other (more expensive) yanagi and while some others performed better after some work, this and the Gesshin Uraku were two of the best right out of the box.

Others I've extensively used in a pro environment are Suisin Hayate, Takayuki Byakko, Watanabe, and Masamoto Sohonten. Honestly any reputable brand is going to do just fine, and you'll come to figure out what you like and don't like. I think for your first yanagiba though it's important to get something that you don't have to fix much out of the box. As such, I second Jon from JKI.

The Saika line by Suisin is a mid priced yani, agree the Hayate is top of the line but not everyone needs that. I would not hesitate to try a Masamoto given the chance. Make sure it's the right Masamoto.

Its a really interesting option, but at this moment is not available at Korin.

I also remember a sushi chef I worked with, who picked up a Suisin from Miura in White #3 for <$300USD 300mm, and was really surprised at the quality and how well that knife ended up serving him. If I am remembering correctly, it was this: 300mm White #3 Suisin at Miura

I didnt know about that web pag, is located at Japan itself good to know and carry some interesting brands/knives.

PS.- The japanese sushi chef who is working with us as a consultant (has a restaurant with a michelin star in Paris) and he recomended me to buy Aritsugu yanagibas,but i havent see any american retail or seller carry that brand.

Its a really interesting option, but at this moment is not available at Korin.

I didnt know about that web pag, is located at Japan itself good to know and carry some interesting brands/knives.

PS.- The japanese sushi chef who is working with us as a consultant (has a restaurant with a michelin star in Paris) and he recomended me to buy Aritsugu yanagibas,but i havent see any american retail or seller carry that brand.
Aritsugu is a well-known brand. I believe AFrames carries their stuff...?
Japanese knife selling is a bit convoluted: there are various webs of makers, finishers, etc. producing different lines which are then often re-branded and sold.

Korin's stuff usually gets a recommendation because they provide decent customer service. Suisin usually gets lumped in with them because Korin is their main US distributor. Same thing with MTC Kitchen and Masamoto Tsukiji.

Various brands have their own strengths and weaknesses, but your experience will probably only be as good as the vendor you buy from in case of any issues.

Couple three from Muria - a Japan based vendor I've only recently noticed and not ordered from.

Based 2 prior transactions, I recommended Miura to another sushi chef who also made a purchase. I was very pleased with the service and communication especially:
  • Questions were answered quickly
  • Requested pics + details were shared promptly
  • International delivery was quicker than expected

Back