Your go-to stainless knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20210221_111510_866.jpg
IMG_20201023_091557_919.jpg

A Yoshimi Kato R2 and a Sukenari SG2.

My preference is for stainless clad carbon, but it's nice to have a few full stainless, especially in August when the humidity is 99%.

Newham 130mm boning knife nitro-v steel with super comfortable western style handle. This replaced my 120 and 180 petties. I use it as a petty/peeler and with smaller meat trimming(not yet real butcher use but hoping to learn some of that stuff in the future).

IMG_20210224_164507~2.jpg

This example is thinner and flatter than my AS clad Sukenari. The AS, I would classify as teetering toward workhorse. The sg2 is more of an everyday grind; not quite a laser, not razor thin at the edge, but just thin enough to perform most tasks well.

This example is thinner and flatter than my AS clad Sukenari. The AS, I would classify as teetering toward workhorse. The sg2 is more of an everyday grind; not quite a laser, not razor thin at the edge, but just thin enough to perform most tasks well.

That's my Sukenari experience. I have a K-tip, 240, ZDP189. Weight is 199g (it was 200, but I rounded the spine a bit). Definitely not a full on laser, but very happy to do pretty much anything. It's pretty flat on the left and quite visibly convex on the right. It will happily split a butternut, turn a mountain of potatoes into pieces, dice onions at warp speed, brunoise shallots and garlic, and still slide through tomatoes without the slightest catch. It's not the best at food release, but it's not the worst, and anything on it falls off easily. I hesitate to turn the hairline finish into a pure smooth/kasumi - but I don't know if it will make a difference. It's one of my most-grabbed knives. The only thing I'd change would be to make it a bit flatter along the "foot" - I straight chop a lot.

Miyabi Mizu Chef knife 200mm. and also my 150mm VG10 petty from Tsukiji Masamoto.

Currently:
210 Youshikane SKD
200 Miyabi Artisan SG2 (I don't like to call it a beater because I keep it sharp, but chicken bones and rock chopping are fair game when this knife is out)
240s: I go with carbon steel

I can't just have one!
  • There is the 8" Wustof Le Cordon Bleu that I've had for over a decade that still gets called upon to rock the garlic for old times sake.
  • The first J-knife that I bought when I came down this path was a Shiki Black Dragon in R-2 nickel Damascus (pic below). I still reach for it occasionally, it is my wife's go-to these days or I'd probably sell it.
  • I have a bunch a cheap stainless pairing knives that I still pick up for this and that.
porkbelly1.jpg

I don't have much stainless any more. Just an Ashi Swedish Steel Pettyhiki, my wife's JKC Gyutoku, and a fistful of paring knives.

In semi-stainless I love my Shi-han 52100 250 Gyuto. And I am a big fan of Kanehide TK. I have two 240 gyutos and a petty.
Have you tried the Kanehide PS60?

I don't have much stainless any more. Just an Ashi Swedish Steel Pettyhiki, my wife's JKC Gyutoku, and a fistful of paring knives.

In semi-stainless I love my Shi-han 52100 250 Gyuto. And I am a big fan of Kanehide TK. I have two 240 gyutos and a petty.
What do you think of the PS60?

The only stainless I have kept are a Misono 440 180mm petty / slicer and a K-Sabatier 250mm chef's from the 200-series in Sandvik's 14C28N. Very pleasant, carbon-like sharpening, finely grained. Benefits from high grits, gets crazy sharp, keeps some bite. AEB-L on steroids.

Sukenari HAP-40 240mm gyuto (followed by CCK all stainless veg. cleaver). Oh, and must include Kikuichi ginsan gyuto and Harner parer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back