Quantcast

Your go-to stainless knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

QCDawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rules have changed, you can take only one stainless to hell/heaven(not talking about carbon 😁). Agreed on Kippingtons work, nothing but top of the line. Yoshikane SKD-12 is a joy to sharpen, very smooth. I tried Z-wear in passaround and for my skills a little slower to sharpen but still decided to get one from Harbeer.
SIH 240.. or (if I can have stainless clad carbon).. toyama 240.. and funny, I don’t own the stainless clad toyama.. but I love my carbon one so much.. that might be my pick. SIH gyuto can do anything. Makes for a great suji in a pinch. 19c27 is good stuff

Last edited:

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could have a mazaki gyuto ginsanko ,that would be my only Stainless knife .
someone out there has it ... I wonder if anyone else has a suji, I bought mine when I was pretty new to this and saw ooh, that looks interesting on jns. Little did I know there’d only be one batch!

Itsjun

Reaction score
Tanaka Ironwood 240mm

Now that I work in a Halal establishment, it's Sakai Kikumori SRS15

zizirex

Reaction score
Takamura Chromax Gyuto 210,
Yoshikane SKD 240,
Takamura R2 150 Petty,
Konosuke Nihei SLD 150 Petty,
Tanaka GinSan 240 Gyuto,
Masashi SLD 150 Gyuto.

William Hunt

Reaction score
My only stainless Japanese knife is a Konosuke swedish stainless. It gets the job done but I only use it when I know I will be busy doing other things while I cook. My only complaint is that the knife is too light, but I have owned it for ye

WiriWiri

Reaction score
I dream of not having a million other distractions when cooking. it‘s generally a frantic rush between toddler tantrums/bedtimes/other baby waking up again.

And that’s why I use a humble(ish) Kono Swedish far too often too. Trying to keep the bigger carbons either dry or far enough from wandering hands often seems too much, It’s not the greatest sales pitch admittedly.

In defence of the undersized, vertically-challenged Kono, it‘s a surprisingly sturdy beast. Never had to baby it like the fragile feeling Shibata that failed to replace it and that skinny profile has grown on me,

QCDawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that knife.. I liked it. Sold it off course.. and now it’s disco’d..

I guess I like my SIH 240 better.. but not by much. As a matter of fact .. I think you could throw all the sakai mono stainless lasers (Kono, ashi, SIH, Mizuno ,tad, etc) in a box ... grab one.. use it blindfolded ... and never know which was which.

WiriWiri

Reaction score
Interesting take that, and reassuring to know. Been tempted by an Ashi and a SIH (amongst others) to replace this ageing Kono, but it just seems too much of a marginal gain on paper.

stringer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have much stainless any more. Just an Ashi Swedish Steel Pettyhiki, my wife's JKC Gyutoku, and a fistful of paring knives.

In semi-stainless I love my Shi-han 52100 250 Gyuto. And I am a big fan of Kanehide TK. I have two 240 gyutos and a petty.

WiriWiri

Reaction score
Are we coworkers? :coffee:
Possibly. Do you respond less than positively to the pleading of ’Daddy needs to try out a new carbon,’ wailing incessantly whilst I slice your nuggets into wafer thin slices and shun the beautifully presented mountain of crudites that I serve you?

You make my knives rust and reduce me to stainless.

birdsfan

Reaction score
I use mostly stainless at work (I guess I am lazy) and the one I most frequently put in my bag is a Gesshin Kagero 240. A good all arounder!

Like a few others, I find myself using a Konosuke HH fairly often. Tanaka Ginsan is also a regular role player that gets a lot of minutes.

CA_cook

Reaction score
I have thre stainless knives that I really like: a 210 VG10 Hattori KF, a 240 Saji Coreless Damascus, and a 9-inch Myabi Black, which with ZDP189 is a surprisingly solid and aesthetically beautiful knife. The Saji is my favorite, heavy, beautiful, and fits my hand quite well.

P.S. The best SS value is still my wife’s 210 Misono UX10. Pure utility and performance, zero fuss.

Latest posts