Media Youtube AWESOME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Saya on his Yanagi says Masamoto, others I can't tell, since he's in LA probably couple JKI knives in here. The knife he used at 7:00 is a Jin, very unique and beautiful knives.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/jin
I kind of love that every knife of that line, from 170 deba to 330 yanagi, is the same price. I never really understand the big price jumps going up in length (ahem, TF). It's not like adding 3cm of length adds 25% more labor or materials cost.

I kind of love that every knife of that line, from 170 deba to 330 yanagi, is the same price. I never really understand the big price jumps going up in length (ahem, TF). It's not like adding 3cm of length adds 25% more labor or materials cost.
TBH those are made long time ago and the craftsman has since passed away, so their cost are kind different to new production knives. Nevertheless these knives are beautiful in person, I would love one but since these are rare they might be better in the hands of professionals.

The curvature would be hard on a stone, especially for one that size. The edge geometry also matters less than single bevels.
If you say so but I have a couple of vintage lamb splitters I use during deer season of about the same size and shape. Both are sharpened on a flat stone and steeled on a diamond rod when needed.

Last edited:
I'm confused - in the beginning of the clip he's got the ura side of the knife facing away from the main part of the food. Doesn't that defeat the single bevel aspect?
Different cutting techniques for different end results. Someone more versed in Sushi/Sashimi can give you a better answer.

Came across this in my recommendations. Some videos have subtitles!

Sharpener here is Shotaro Nomura!

Back