Media Youtube AWESOME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The part talking about handle design is IMO something that gets neglected here a bit. We're largely comparing blades, but very rarely are handle ergonomics discussed. Nowadays wa handles are almost the default option... but for me - even though my hands aren't stupid large - they're almost invariably on the 'wish they were larger'-size. Petties and paring knives are worse; they're invariably too small. Actually have a cheap Arcos knife that's like 50 euros that has an ergonomically better handle than all my wa-handled Japanese stuff simply because the handle is fatter.

You can probably add how far back to the handle. Some of them seem real far back. It looks weird to me.

Chef Wang didn't win a KKF award for his sharpening video, but this seems like pretty solid information to me, although maybe a bit superfluous. I especially like the part where he shows different cleaver designs. (That starts at 2:05)

I haven't had the nerve yet to smash garlic with a blade, I must admit. I wonder how many flaws the KKF crowd will find in the vid that I didn't see ;)

He did the video amid the Zhang Xiao Quan controversy, Zhang Xiao Quan is another prestigious manufacturer of knives and scissors, much older than Shibazi, but they sold their business long ago now most their stuff are OEMs from Yangjiang. There are multiple custom complains about their blade broken in half when smashing garlic, a normal thing for most Chinese home cooks, then their CEO was caught on an old video saying people don’t know how to use their knives.

The part talking about handle design is IMO something that gets neglected here a bit. We're largely comparing blades, but very rarely are handle ergonomics discussed. Nowadays wa handles are almost the default option... but for me - even though my hands aren't stupid large - they're almost invariably on the 'wish they were larger'-size. Petties and paring knives are worse; they're invariably too small. Actually have a cheap Arcos knife that's like 50 euros that has an ergonomically better handle than all my wa-handled Japanese stuff simply because the handle is fatter.
I like wa handle on larger knife and western handles on small knives.

Honestly for me on smaller knives it doesn't make much of a difference; they're all too small. One of the few exceptions is my honesuki, which for some inexplicable reason is the outlier that does actually come with a decently sized handle.

He did the video amid the Zhang Xiao Quan controversy, Zhang Xiao Quan is another prestigious manufacturer of knives and scissors, much older than Shibazi, but they sold their business long ago now most their stuff are OEMs from Yangjiang. There are multiple custom complains about their blade broken in half when smashing garlic, a normal thing for most Chinese home cooks, then their CEO was caught on an old video saying people don’t know how to use their knives.
Wow, thanks for providing the context. That explains a lot.

Nobody does classier knife videos than Stefan Schmalhaus.

If I remember right, he's in Germany but he's reviewed a ton of French folders. Maybe @HSC /// Knives can get him to review one of his knives! A picnic petty maybe. 😁

Hearing this voice I can't help but picture Werner Herzog. By the way: do you know that chickens are THE WORST?

But yeah, very classy indeed, lots of decoration :D

Nobody does classier knife videos than Stefan Schmalhaus.

If I remember right, he's in Germany but he's reviewed a ton of French folders. Maybe @HSC /// Knives can get him to review one of his knives! A picnic petty maybe. 😁

I’m working on some slipjoints now. We will see

I have to say that Chef Wang's videos are really quite good. Lots of nice knifework and attention to detail.

See the first minute here, explaining two good ways and one bad way to prepare Broccoli:

And if you start a recipe for making shredded tofu by making the friggin tofu, you're in awesome territory already. But for each of the other ingredients, he also gives tips on how to prepare them so they can be cut ideally:

His eggplant dragon is a classic, too, if you want to impress:

See also his 8 ways of cutting an eggplant.

Further awesomeness: his wok & burner and perfect tossing skills for fried rice and other stuff.

If you like uncle rogers humor, you can see him review Chef Wang here:

Oh and he has a lot of videos with meats from all animals one can imagine...

Looks like generic professional gyuto, probably similar to Masakane, Masahiro or Sakai Kikumori Nihonko stuff.
I can make out the word INOX, so probably stainless. I’m just a sucker for cool looking kanji on a yo handle gyuto.

I have to say that Chef Wang's videos are really quite good. Lots of nice knifework and attention to detail.

See the first minute here, explaining two good ways and one bad way to prepare Broccoli:

And if you start a recipe for making shredded tofu by making the friggin tofu, you're in awesome territory already. But for each of the other ingredients, he also gives tips on how to prepare them so they can be cut ideally:

His eggplant dragon is a classic, too, if you want to impress:

See also his 8 ways of cutting an eggplant.

Further awesomeness: his wok & burner and perfect tossing skills for fried rice and other stuff.

If you like uncle rogers humor, you can see him review Chef Wang here:

Oh and he has a lot of videos with meats from all animals one can imagine...

I love Wang Gang but I just can't watch Uncle Rogers...

So why do the Japanese use a gyuto for butchering and cutting beef? Both beef and the gyuto are new to their culture. It would seem like they would have picked up Western pattern beef processing knives. After all our culture has been butchering beef since the days before we left the caves. A Western butcher would have done most of this with a curved 6-inch boning knife with maybe a 8-inch breaking knife thrown in.

So why do the Japanese use a gyuto for butchering and cutting beef? Both beef and the gyuto are new to their culture. It would seem like they would have picked up Western pattern beef processing knives. After all our culture has been butchering beef since the days before we left the caves. A Western butcher would have done most of this with a curved 6-inch boning knife with maybe a 8-inch breaking knife thrown in.
It’s more potioning than butchering in the vid, a longer knife like gyuto or suji works well in these task.

I’ve picked up a couple 300mm yo handled gyutos recently and I can see why they are used for butchery, the weight does all the work and the length lets you do long cuts without sawing motions. Although I think the Masahiro/Kanehide Bessaku semi stainless sujihiki is the most popular for Japanese butchery.

Latest posts

Back