1-2k dollars to spend for gyuto. Please advice what to consider.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hubert

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am thinking about buying my high-end gyuto knife

I am doing research and still thinking about what to consider.
I need to find my golden mean.

What is most important to me:
- sharpness
- satisfaction of slicing
- durability
- well balance
- design

I started thinking about steel and after research, I think it should be either R2 or ZDP-189 (or something similar with regards to HRC/durability/sharpness)

I thought about:
Shigeki Tanaka 33-Layer R2(SG2) Damascus IR
Takeshi Saji R2 Diamond Finish Damascus TCR

but I saw that e.g. Miyabi is cheaper and use ZDP-189
maybe Yaxell? it's also cheaper

Tanaka and Takeshi beat with regards to design, balance, and durabilityMiyabi and Yaxell but what about sharpness and satisfaction of slicing?

I am curious what do you think?

Do you know how to sharpen?

Even a $10,000 knife will cut like garbage after a month if you use it regularly and don't know how to sharpen it. A $2 cheap steel stainless kiwi brand will cut better than a $2,000 knife if you don't know how to sharpen it.

Also, FYI - people will request that you fill out the "Which Knife Should I Buy" questionnaire.

As stated, do the questionnaire. It will let the knowledgeable and experienced folks around here better assist you - it covers a ton of useful details.

If you don't know how to sharpen, I would strongly recommend picking up some good stones and a practice knife or two, then learning how to do that. The most amazing blade on the planet will dull, knowing how to return it to full power is critical for enjoying something at this level.

If you are more concerned about the investment aspect, get a Kato or a Shig Kitaeji - they are in that price range and are guaranteed to be worth more a year or two from now unless the market just implodes for some reason (and let's face it, if covid couldn't implode the market, what the hell will?).

to be fair, a wa-handled Shigeki Tanaka R2 gyuto isnt anywhere near 1000 dollars and is a great knife. one of those was my first really nice knife.

but yeah, what sharpening gear do you have?

Shigeki Tanaka or Takeshi Saji might be better choice than miyabi zdp. The miyabi ZDP no where near as sharp as them unless you know how to thin/sharpening.

Shigeki Tanaka if you prefer Wa handle
Takeshi Saji if you prefer western handle

below is an image of brand new miyabi ZDP189

Attachments

• 67B72596-5B5B-4600-A340-A9C1F8F5552B.jpeg
    67B72596-5B5B-4600-A340-A9C1F8F5552B.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Better start learning sharpening with a simple though decent carbon steel gyuto. It's also a good occasion to explore and develop your preferences where weight, balance, profile and geometry are concerned before spending a large budget on a blade that perhaps doesn't fit.

@Ochazuke, @captaincaed, @big_adventure thank you for suggesting me the knife questionnaire, I will check it.

If you don't know how to sharpen, I would strongly recommend picking up some good stones and a practice knife or two, then learning how to do that. The most amazing blade on the planet will dull, knowing how to return it to full power is critical for enjoying something at this level.

I didn't think about it. I thought that if I will not able to sharpen it I will use some professional to it. I don't have any stone yet, but I also considering buying it with regards to the knife.

If you are more concerned about the investment aspect, get a Kato or a Shig Kitaeji - they are in that price range and are guaranteed to be worth more a year or two from now unless the market just implodes for some reason (and let's face it, if covid couldn't implode the market, what the hell will?).

I didn't think about the investment category, but it's an interesting topic. Thank you for a suggestion (anyway I want to have it for private usage - I just love nice things in general)

to be fair, a wa-handled Shigeki Tanaka R2 gyuto isnt anywhere near 1000 dollars and is a great knife. one of those was my first really nice knife.

I see e.g. Shigeki Tanaka 33-Layer R2(SG2) Damascus Habakiri Japanese Chef's Gyuto Knife 210mm with Ebony Handle hmm interesting, thanks for suggestion I thought about Shigeki Tanaka 33-Layer R2(SG2) Damascus IR Japanese Chef's Gyuto Knife 210mm with Desert Ironwood Handle

@Hubert, to avoid confusion, in the title of your thread do you mean 1 dollar up to 2,000 dollars, or do you mean 1,000-2,000 dollars?

I thought about 1 dollar up to 2,000 dollars (all depend, to be honest, I am not a chef, I am a total amateur. Please don't attack me, because maybe it sounds not good, but I will have my 30 birthday in the next few weeks and I wanted to buy myself something that will be for me for many years. I always wanted to have a good knife in the kitchen, for now, I have poor.. and I don't know too much about it - I just learning about it, because I love looking how people cut with super precision something, so also I want to learn to it also I am a super fan of the design and I appreciate the craftsmanship. After some comments there I started to think do I deserve it as an amateur in this area. I know that for someone with good skills that could be a dream and could be frustrated that person like I want this but have no idea what to do with it)

Shigeki Tanaka or Takeshi Saji might be better choice than miyabi zdp. The miyabi ZDP no where near as sharp as them unless you know how to thin/sharpening.

That is helpful

Better start learning sharpening with a simple though decent carbon steel gyuto. It's also a good occasion to explore and develop your preferences where weight, balance, profile and geometry are concerned before spending a large budget on a blade that perhaps doesn't fit.

That is an important suggestion. I remember how I checked other, not related to knife stuff and almost bought something expensive, but when I checked it on real I had completely different feelings. Unfortunately, there is also hard for me to compare in real life, especially now in covid.
For ZDP, Sukenari is a classic choice. Below your price limit, even with damascus, but a lovely blade - i have a 240 suke k-tip gyuto that I love.

Thanks for the advice I will check it

@Ochazuke, @captaincaed, @big_adventure thank you for suggesting me the knife questionnaire, I will check it.

I didn't think about it. I thought that if I will not able to sharpen it I will use some professional to it. I don't have any stone yet, but I also considering buying it with regards to the knife.

I didn't think about the investment category, but it's an interesting topic. Thank you for a suggestion (anyway I want to have it for private usage - I just love nice things in general)

I see e.g. Shigeki Tanaka 33-Layer R2(SG2) Damascus Habakiri Japanese Chef's Gyuto Knife 210mm with Ebony Handle hmm interesting, thanks for suggestion I thought about Shigeki Tanaka 33-Layer R2(SG2) Damascus IR Japanese Chef's Gyuto Knife 210mm with Desert Ironwood Handle

I thought about 1 dollar up to 2,000 dollars (all depend, to be honest, I am not a chef, I am a total amateur. Please don't attack me, because maybe it sounds not good, but I will have my 30 birthday in the next few weeks and I wanted to buy myself something that will be for me for many years. I always wanted to have a good knife in the kitchen, for now, I have poor.. and I don't know too much about it - I just learning about it, because I love looking how people cut with super precision something, so also I want to learn to it also I am a super fan of the design and I appreciate the craftsmanship. After some comments there I started to think do I deserve it as an amateur in this area. I know that for someone with good skills that could be a dream and could be frustrated that person like I want this but have no idea what to do with it)

That is helpful

That is an important suggestion. I remember how I checked other, not related to knife stuff and almost bought something expensive, but when I checked it on real I had completely different feelings. Unfortunately, there is also hard for me to compare in real life, especially now in covid.

Thanks for the advice I will check it

This is helpful information that provides some background. You can find some really good value knives in around the $200-$300 range that will give you excellent performance for your money. You can try a few different ones and possibly resell if you dont like them. There are a lot of options in that price range that cover a wide span of knife types. I'd start there before going up right away to $2k.

To get better recommendations, start a new thread and fill out the questionaire.

My 2c on the tanaka R2, as I own the wa handled version. Each time I use the knife, I am impressed. The knife gets a nice toothy edge and keeps it for a long time. Looks great too, which might be its downside. The etch is rather textured. I read some complains that the etch causes a bit of drag. Doesn't bother me at all btw. And of course, the etch will easily get scratched with sharpening and definitely with thinning.

@Hubert, even for a self proclaimed total amateur (like you said) it is totally OK to have a nice knife, no need to explain or defend yourself.

As pointed out above, if you do buy a nice knife it would be great to learn how to keep it sharp yourself, unless you have a local sharpener who really knows what they are doing.
It would be a shame to have your nice knife 'treated' by the local guy with a belt grinder...

If you want to start something of a nicer knife use I would look for a like mentioned 2-300 usd knife, couple it with some rocks and a nice cutting boars that's stable and kind to edge.

With 1-2Gs on the table, might I suggest a different path... 😎

Heirloom quality endgrain board (Boardsmith 12x18) ($250)
Petty ($100)--TF
210 laser ($285)--Gesshin Ginga Stainless
210 middleweight ($350), Yoshikane from Cleancut.se
Fun 240 ($700) Catcheside (UK maker)
stones (1000, 3000, 6000, Atoma 140) $300

~$2000

Welcome to the hobby! 😁

Edit: Otherwise, yeah, it's great advice to buy a $300-400 gyuto, use it, learn a bit more about what your tastes are and what attributes you value, and also learn to sharpen by buying a few good stones. Then circle back and ask about other knives.

Last edited:
I have a Tanaka Ironwood (brand new in box) in case you are interested -- apart from that, I started off pretty much like you and can totally understand the confusion at the beginning. A pretty fantastic knife to start with is the Kurosaki Fujin AS (available on Japanny currently), it cuts really well and you can practice your sharpening skills on it without hanging yourself in case you mess up the edge.

Good morning,

I am thinking about buying my high-end gyuto knife

I am doing research and still thinking about what to consider.
I need to find my golden mean.

What is most important to me:
- sharpness
- satisfaction of slicing
- durability
- well balance
- design

I started thinking about steel and after research, I think it should be either R2 or ZDP-189 (or something similar with regards to HRC/durability/sharpness)

I thought about:
Shigeki Tanaka 33-Layer R2(SG2) Damascus IR
Takeshi Saji R2 Diamond Finish Damascus TCR

but I saw that e.g. Miyabi is cheaper and use ZDP-189
maybe Yaxell? it's also cheaper

Tanaka and Takeshi beat with regards to design, balance, and durabilityMiyabi and Yaxell but what about sharpness and satisfaction of slicing?

I am curious what do you think?

Hello @Hubert, I have a few rare pieces from Shigeki Tanaka if you are still in the market. You can check them out here.

https://moderncooking.com/en/product-tag/tanaka-knives

below is an image of brand new miyabi ZDP189
The edge was real thick 😱😱😱😱

Hello guys,

Thank you for your reply.

I replied delayed because I was learning about knives, stones, and general things related to it. Spent a lot of time on the phone with @milas555 that helped me priv to be closer with "knives world".

So the result is, that I changed direction and wanted firstly learn sharpening, how these knives work etc.

I ordered:

Munetoshi Kurouchi Petty 165 mm
Kaeru Kasumi Stainless Gyuto 210 mm
JNS 1000 Matukusuyama
JNS Aoto Matukusuyama
SS Stone Holder Spring

and that will be my starter set, then if I will be closer with skills, I will consider next move what to do.

I still didn't decide which cutting board to buy. I want to have a wooden end-grain cutting board (I know that some people prefer e.g. Hasegawa, but I don't want this). I want something with American Walnut - that looks nice for me and the material is good for knives. I also consider Teak.

What I like is e.g.
https://www.**************.com/ckwaendgrcub.html (but I am in Europe, so there could be a problem with shipping, etc.)
https://yestersen.com/un-en/dania-cutting-board-50-x-27-cm-skagerak-476616?syte_ref=similar_items
Thank you all for your suggestions it's helpful.

Hello guys,

Thank you for your reply.

I replied delayed because I was learning about knives, stones, and general things related to it. Spent a lot of time on the phone with @milas555 that helped me priv to be closer with "knives world".

So the result is, that I changed direction and wanted firstly learn sharpening, how these knives work etc.

I ordered:

Munetoshi Kurouchi Petty 165 mm
Kaeru Kasumi Stainless Gyuto 210 mm
JNS 1000 Matukusuyama
JNS Aoto Matukusuyama
SS Stone Holder Spring

and that will be my starter set, then if I will be closer with skills, I will consider next move what to do.

I still didn't decide which cutting board to buy. I want to have a wooden end-grain cutting board (I know that some people prefer e.g. Hasegawa, but I don't want this). I want something with American Walnut - that looks nice for me and the material is good for knives. I also consider Teak.

What I like is e.g.
https://www.**************.com/ckwaendgrcub.html (but I am in Europe, so there could be a problem with shipping, etc.)
https://yestersen.com/un-en/dania-cutting-board-50-x-27-cm-skagerak-476616?syte_ref=similar_items
Thank you all for your suggestions it's helpful.
Teak cutting boards are very hard on your knife edges. Can't go wrong with end grain maple, walnut, ...or a good synthetic like Hasegawa, sani-tuff.

@DitmasPork

With regards to Janka Scale Janka hardness test - Wikipedia

it looks like
teak: 1,155 lbf (5,140 N)
walnut (north american): 1,010 lbf (4,500 N)

I see there are many different "maple" red, hard maple, etc.

It looks like a complicated topic, but more/less what range of Janka scale should I look at?

Yes, silica is the issue. Also Janka scale is all good, but at least when talking about end grain boards, less relevant. Maple, cherry, walnut all seem fine. Teak, bamboo opinions warry due to silica. Acacia opinions warry due to hardness, but seems fine in end grain boards.

Latest posts

Back