1500 gyuto (Just for fun)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if I got it for free, a knife that pricey wouldn't really be functional for me, as I'd just end up babying it because ohmygawd what if I put a scratch on it. For me, when the pricetag is too high it detracts from its utility as a tool.
So I'd much rather get something that's like 500 maximum and use the rest to buy other stuff (whether that's other knives, pans or whatever).

Kamon, Huber, Hangler, Bidinger, Bazes, Yanick, Devin Thomas
Collect experiences, not things!
Welp it's an experience to cut with great knives and cherish them

Even if I got it for free, a knife that pricey wouldn't really be functional for me, as I'd just end up babying it because ohmygawd what if I put a scratch on it
As you slowly up your budget you don't worry as much, at least if they are still tools for you

I think the telegraph wire clad ShiHans are uniquely beautiful. Maybe that cladding with A2 core so reactivity is only a patina thing not and I get the edge retention of a semi-stainless.

After recently testing one, seems like a good do-everything knife.

I think the telegraph wire clad ShiHans are uniquely beautiful. Maybe that cladding with A2 core so reactivity is only a patina thing not and I get the edge retention of a semi-stainless.

After recently testing one, seems like a good do-everything knife.
I asked about a wrought clad A2 and it’s not possible. Assume the same for telegraph. 😞

1705589439808.jpeg

+ beer

As you slowly up your budget you don't worry as much, at least if they are still tools for you
It seems to be levelling out quite a bit for me.... althouhg admittedly, so does my income. :p
Maybe I'm just biased in this regard since I'm Dutch. I don't like shiny brand new cars for similar reasons; I rather have something that doesn't look too pristine so I don't have to feel too guilty about abusing it. :D

It seems to be levelling out quite a bit for me.... althouhg admittedly, so does my income. :p
Maybe I'm just biased in this regard since I'm Dutch. I don't like shiny brand new cars for similar reasons; I rather have something that doesn't look too pristine so I don't have to feel too guilty about abusing it. :D
In that vein, the first good scratch on my new truck was actually a relief. I could stop trying to keep it perfect and enjoy taking it off-road without fretting at every small branch or bush.

Back