2021 Year in Review / 2022 Bucket List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How was your last year of buying, selling, testing, cutting, sharpening, polishing, and crafting kitchen knives? What are you hoping to do with this weird hobby in 2022?

Personally, my level of investment went waaaay up in the past year. I bought three knives in 2019, three knives in 2020, and then a whopping 16 knives in 2021! At the same time I've been trying to keep the collection to a manageable size with ten sales/trades this year as well. I tried out quite a few perennial favorite Japanese makers for the first time (Watanabe, Toyama, Wakui, Takamura, Ashi) as well as dipping my toes into western makers (Prendergast, Kippington, Toksvig, and now Spåre). I learned: how great a good convex grind can be, that western lasers and iron cladding really aren't my jam, that carbon monosteel is pretty sweet, what really outstanding cutting performance feels like, that really outstanding cutting performance doesn't necessarily cost much, and that once you have a few great cutters aesthetics and F&F can really make the difference in what you reach for and what you don't.

For the coming year, I'm aiming to winnow down my kit and reduce to a small core set of great knives with maybe one or two rotating slots. I get a lot of satisfaction out of having high-performance tools for my hobbies, but quality is much more satisfying than quantity, and having $Xk tied up in luxury items that I only use occasionally doesn't sit well with me. That said, I do still have a list of makers I want to try... Y. Tanaka, Myojin, TF, Shi.Han, Dalman, Marko, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. And I feel like the 180-ish gyuto/tall petty slot in my kit is still waiting for the perfect match.

How about you all?

I’m similar to you
Started with 2. I have 13 now and 2 more on the way. Additionally I caught and released maybe 5-6 this year as well.

I imagine I’ll settle down over time and remove redundancies. I’ve pretty much got everything I’ve wanted to try (except Denka, Kaiju, Shihan, maybe a hd2/Ashi 180 petty) so I’m just gonna sit on what I have now and get to know them better, and naturally I’ll itch to get rid of a few.

I went through all of this with headphones before. Do I regret it? No, but I’m financially sound and don’t have a mortgage or kids. I’m just enjoying the journey.

Buying: I entered 2021 with more than enough knives. No need to buy anything/ add to the collection. So I only bought 2 3 4 more gyutos.

Selling: I exchanged DMs with someone who is interested in some point in buying one of my knives. Maybe. I think I did sell one in 2020, though.

Testing: I did not participate in any passarounds, etc. Played with a couple knives at the ECG.

Cutting: Yes, daily.

Sharpening: Not nearly as much as needed. The gyuto supply helps with that.

Polishing: That would be a 'no'.

Crafting kitchen knives: I'm a user, not a maker

What are you hoping to do with this weird hobby in 2022?: Probably be like 2021. I don't need anything, so I'll probably somehow wind up with another handful of gyutos.

I started this hobby in January and averaged about 1 j-knife knife per month, almost all under $300. But I’ve recently shifted gears towards Western makers instead along with the associated price bump.

I have my first two “Westerns” (Kamon and Steeleworks) due to arrive soon and will probably stay on this course with fewer but more expensive purchases from Western smiths in 2022.

My sharpening skills took a huge leap from novice to mediocre, and I’m actually pretty happy right there with my 3 stones and zero interest in polishing and j-nats.

I managed to scrape through with only 1 knife (+1 tested and returned for QC) and 1 new jnat.

If I'd won a key buyee auction then the knives would have increased by 3 to "save on shipping"

I brought 11 knives in 2021
Ashi ginga white 2 gyuto 210mm
Ashi ginga swedish petty 210mm
TF petty 150mm ( Catch & release ) Edit: I sold this December 24/2020
Vintage gyuto Kaneshige 300mm
Lefty Mizu Honyaki Kama Usuba 240mm by Genkai Masakuni
Lefty Yanagiba Furin kazan 300mm
Lefty yanagiba Mizuno Tanrenjo blue steel 240mm ( SOLD already )
Right handed Yanagiba 300mm Shigefusa under KiYA brand.
240mm Swedish steel vintage Kiya brand gyuto ( this one sharpen super easily! ) laser knife make me fall in love straight away.
White three Abura honyaki 300mm yanagiba ( Y.Ikeda+Tosa ) still waiting to ship to me.
Shiro Kamo Black damascus 240mm gyuto from KNS, got this few days ago, my Girlfriend brought for my birthday present.

Sold
270mm Dammy Blue one yanagiba by Shiraki Kenichi ( I regret I do this )
300mm Furin Kazan yanagiba Blue 2 steel, This knife polish very easy, the reason I sold mainly because I need a stainless yanagiba. As I cannot take take the knife during busy service in kitchen.
TF Petty 150mm, I never fall in love with TF, I got this because quite good price, I also selling for very good price to forum member, probably sold out in 5 minute after I post the thread. Fastest record to me.

My bucket list:
Lefty Honyaki Yanagiba maybe Tatsuo Ikeda, Genkai or Shiraki. I'm pretty sure I can't find the Lefty Honyaki yanagiba, because is so hard to find lefty chef. Especially Honyaki.

The Kama Usuba took me 5 years to searching, Holy ****! I put on sell but seems like not much lefty lover know the value of the knife, but I'm fine with that, as I like this knife very much. keep it is not a lose to me😎😎

I told myself every year, DO NOT BUY ANY MORE KNIFE, but apparently my heart doesn't listen to me.😳😳😳

Last year was a success, I sold 10 more knives what I got and landed couple of keepers. Total count under 10 expensive knives (100usd or more) now. I went in sharpening regression for months and wasn't happy with my sharpening and results(the edges were ok but not there where I would have wanted). After getting Venev stones I got back in a good mood/results(allthought I've used them mainly for cheap SS, z-wear,vg10 and sg2). I think it was more of getting the new stones/hardware and overall re-thinking of what am I doing and more just go with the feeling and less thinking(may sound stupid but seems to work for me better atm). I tried my first kasumis with ss-cladding, hated it and got horrifying results 🥳. If I feel too good during 2022, I know what I will do then.

Year 2022 bucket list: one custom knife, some affordable blades/knives for projects, couple of handles and maybe a saya.

Last edited:
2021: Bought too many (although still a modest amount compared to some here) knives and stones and did not spend enough time working on my sharpening, cooking, and knife skills. I was going to thank a number of people here for great information, great deals, or just being inspirational nice guys but it quickly grew too long and unwieldy. Internet forums and social media often don't reflect humanity in a particularly flattering light but I find KKF to be a rare exception. A tip of the hat to the mods for a generally deft touch.

2022: I'm hoping to work more on sharpening, knife skills, and cooking and to either sell or trade at least a half dozen gyutos. I do hope to acquire two or three more new knives ≤230mm in MagnaCut, Apex Ultra, and maybe CruForge V. We shall see what the fiscal gods and the goodwill of makers permit.

>>At the same time I've been trying to keep the collection to a manageable size with ten sales/trades this year as well.<<

Which board/group did you find the best results for selling? KKF? other?

>>At the same time I've been trying to keep the collection to a manageable size with ten sales/trades this year as well.<<

Which board/group did you find the best results for selling? KKF? other?

All my sales have been through BST here. While I know it's naive to treat KKF as a small community and that **** happens occasionally, the small additional barriers to participating here vs. reddit/insta generally make me feel a little more comfort with buying and selling, especially with long-time members.

I have noticed BST seems to run hot and cold sometimes... there were periods this year when pretty ordinary (by our standards) knives up for sale were getting snatched up in minutes, and then the tail end of '21 seemed like everything slowed way down for a bit and good deals just sat around.

Outside of KKF, 2021 was an extremely difficult year for me and my knife hobby helped a lot!

2021 saw me really diving into experimenting and trying to learn what I like and I came a long way. I bought several knives, mostly in the sub-$200 range and really started focusing in on preferences. Each knife had to be different from anything I had. Length, height, profile, heck, I even plunged into carbon which is something I wasn't sure I'd ever do. I still have some fine tuning to do but I found I really like 180-ish gyuto's for my daily needs which actually surprised me a little.

My Akifusa 180 AS gyuto is an awesome knife and really tamed the fire for now. I also finally bought a honesuki. It's just a knife I've wanted for a looooong time and finally decided to get one. I like breaking down chickens and I get a smile every time I use it. I might even upgrade a little in 2022.

My push cutting proficiency increased significantly and with the help of the "Love of cutting..." thread, I got back to playing around with different styles to fit different knives and tasks. I'd gotten too focused on one way.

I also really wanted to decide once and for all if I could learn to sharpen by swapping hands or if I was going to abandon the idea and move on. I'm quite pleased that I'm getting pretty good at it. It's feeling more and more natural and it's reflected in my confidence and results.

2022: There will be a sujihiki or two joining the family along with a new petty or two. I have a fascination with the Makoto Kurosaki 180mm bunka in R2 so I might get one of those if the timing is right. And I'm really considering adding some more Akifusa to the stable.

I'm refocused on some new pocket knives and that might drive consideration for some Venev or similar type stones.

***As I was typing this, I remembered a thread by @labor of love at the start of 2021 about our goals. So, I finished typing and then looked up that thread to see how I did. Stuck to the plan pretty danged well!
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/2021-bucket-list.51274/#post-777105

Last edited:
2021 was a huge year for me personally. My wife and I moved from the "city" of Bennington, Vermont to the country. This move has been a long time in the works but never quite lined up well enough until May. Finally got a set and threw my hat in the ring for a promotion at work and got it, which is huge for me as I am very risk adverse in my life, except for mountain biking and snowboarding. Stepped out of my comfort zone and it's worked out so far.
As for the kkf world, I bought my first Japanese knife in December of 2019. A Harukaze AS nakiri. It was a lot better than my Henkel chef's knife, but not mind blowing. Got some cheap Amazon stones for Christmas, used the hell out of them. Picked up my first Gyuto, a Munetoshi gyuto. This one feels the best when being held. Dustin at RSK did an amazing job with the custom handle. The balance and proportions are spot on. Picked up some real stones then fell into the jnat hole. Grabbed a Fujin from the TKV 1 year web sale. Absolutely had to have it when I first saw the Fujin. Believe it or not, it looks great but it is my least used blade. Not sure why, it works well enough, but I guess I expected more. A honesuki followed, then my first 240, a Kisuke B#1. Following the 240 was a Birgersson 225mm. The BB is real thin and cuts great, feels real solid. Not like the Munetoshi, but good. The BB is 57mm tall and may be a bit too tall, since I'm only 5'6". But it taught me that I probably shouldn't get anything taller. Next up I worked a lot on the Harukaze. Thinned it a bit and changed the profile to a more flat profile from the slightly belly. It made me realize that I prefer a flatter profile for my style of cutting. I had this one tuned up well enough to pass the HHT. Spent a LOT of time practicing with the rocks. My first dollar store TF showed up 2 weeks ago, a Morihei Hisamoto White #1 nakiri. This one just has that feeling of greatness. It feels effortless through food. A bit wonky of a blade and the handle is far from good, bit that blade more than makes up for it.
For 2022, I made a list of blades I'd like to try out. The first one is a Denka. Which I just recently purchased via BST. A 195, which being a shorter blade, was also something I wanted to try out. So I'm really looking forward to that one arriving. Henry Hyde of Baltimore is a maker I'm looking forward to trying this year, followed by a lad named Karol Karyś from Poland. They're different styles but I really like the look of their stuff.
As for other makers, I'd like to give a Yoshikane a try since they seem to have a pretty flat profile. I'd also like to give a full convex blade a shot to see what they feel like. Maybe a Watanabe.
That will "probably" be it for purchases this year. Just going to focus on using what I have and continue learning about how they feel. It should be a good year

Yeah bucket list threads were always a lot of fun. For me, I’ve pretty much figured out what works for me so my knife exploration days are pretty much over (which is why I’m not really on the forum anymore). In 2022 I’m just doubling down on my faves: shihan, stainless/stainless clad Sakai stuff…that togashi stainless clad wh1 kasumi looks amazing…and the never ending search for the best $150-200 beater knife (maybe suien vc gyuto?)

I bought one knife (an Anryu 210 with the old kanji) and got two other knives rehandled. I already have too many knives, but the only thing I almost bought and still kinda regret not pulling the trigger on was a 240 HAP40 Sukenari k-tip from MTC during their sale. My goals moving forward are to sell a few knives I don't use and enjoy the ones that I do.

Last edited:
I bought a bit more knives in 2020 than 2021. I'm fairly sure about that. Still bought a whole lot of them this year. More than I bargained for with my 2020 resolutions.

I'm fairly sure I bought more stones in 2021 though. Fairly sure I've done a whole lot more sharpening overall, especially since I really started in May 2020. Also did a lot of testing in 2021 and started to get some customer knives in. Guess it's why I bought so much stones. I killed a lot of perfectly good edges just to resharpen again testing stones and progressions.

Polishing, quite a lot too. Enough to evolve to some place where I can use what little skills I have to the most efficient possible with progressions and aims that can be achieved fast with results I can live with. So for one thing I used a lot less sandpaper in 2021 out of it. Yay! For another there's about 10 stones in my arsenal that I can't let go of because they fill a place in one of two progressions I use often. Or are good overlappers. Or are too good to be worth selling. IDK but add my preferred sharpening stones and coarse stones (never have enough of these so I don't sell any) and I have too much but can't say any of them should go. I mean I even got a Cerax 1K I didn't really want to buy out of an error, and I can't find it beef to sell it because it's real good with a lot of stuff. These are expandable in a tangible timeline though, and about 1/5 my average expense with knives in average so I don't fret too much.

For 2022... who knows. There's too much money into this for sure, and I think I'm finally ready to change that. But not before I get to fill a couple of spots. Have one incoming already. Might not be the one but I think a good attempt at securing one spot.

In 2021 I got a good deal on some old takobiki's (thanks @preizzo !!) And got the kasfly sandpaper holder. I also am pretty happy with what I got now, guess I am kinda 'done' with looking for knives and stones.

In 2022 I want to spend less time on my phone and focus on using what I have got.

I bought a bit more knives in 2020 than 2021. I'm fairly sure about that. Still bought a whole lot of them this year. More than I bargained for with my 2020 resolutions.

I'm fairly sure I bought more stones in 2021 though. Fairly sure I've done a whole lot more sharpening overall, especially since I really started in May 2020. Also did a lot of testing in 2021 and started to get some customer knives in. Guess it's why I bought so much stones. I killed a lot of perfectly good edges just to resharpen again testing stones and progressions.

Polishing, quite a lot too. Enough to evolve to some place where I can use what little skills I have to the most efficient possible with progressions and aims that can be achieved fast with results I can live with. So for one thing I used a lot less sandpaper in 2021 out of it. Yay! For another there's about 10 stones in my arsenal that I can't let go of because they fill a place in one of two progressions I use often. Or are good overlappers. Or are too good to be worth selling. IDK but add my preferred sharpening stones and coarse stones (never have enough of these so I don't sell any) and I have too much but can't say any of them should go. I mean I even got a Cerax 1K I didn't really want to buy out of an error, and I can't find it beef to sell it because it's real good with a lot of stuff. These are expandable in a tangible timeline though, and about 1/5 my average expense with knives in average so I don't fret too much.

For 2022... who knows. There's too much money into this for sure, and I think I'm finally ready to change that. But not before I get to fill a couple of spots. Have one incoming already. Might not be the one but I think a good attempt at securing one spot.
Looking forward to your natural stone reviews! 😎

Oh man. Good year for knives, pretty rough year for everything else.

Coming into 2020 I had upgraded my Shun Premier and Misono carbon to a Yoshikane SKD Tsuchime 240 and a Mazaki 180 bunka (2019 version).
By the end of 2021 I'd picked up:
Konosuke GS+ 150 petty
Toyama 180 nakiri
Steelport - this was a very, very generous birthday gift from my coworkers on the line
(Also Tojiro White #2 Nakiri, Ashi White#2 240, & Tadafusa 210 SLD as gifts for friends.)

2022 is off to a hot start, since I stupidly/brilliantly jumped on that Toyama 270 with the cocobolo handle on B/S/T this morning. I don't have anything in my knife roll that I'm not using on a regular basis, but it's bound to get crowded in there sooner rather than later. I'd love to pick up an affordable lefty yanagiba & honesuki, a Silverthorn or similarly fun butchery knife, as well as a little paring/tourne knife to round out the collection. I could stand to get one more 210-240 as my "home" knife so I can leave my kit at work during the week. You know, like a Shihan in A2 or 52100... It never ends.

overall re-thinking of what am I doing and more just go with the feeling and less thinking(may sound stupid but seems to work for me better atm
That's what I call "Zen-Sharpening", it works great for me!

2021 was a transition year for me. We moved to a house with a basement and I spent a few months building a workshop down there. I just sold my last fancy (>$150) knives and am looking forward to a new period where I focus on grinding them and making handles. (Hopefully at some point I can do some forging, but it won't be soon.)

Since I joined the forum in Dec 2017, I have bought and sold a bunch of knives and have tried many more in passarounds.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 8.46.54 AM.png

I'm glad I did this, since it has given me a good idea of what qualities I like in knives, and seeing really well executed knives is inspirational. Plus, I've made so many awesome connections with other enthusiasts and makers.

So, in 2022 I don't plan to buy any knives. I'll do the occasional sharpening job, but most just focus on the grinding and handle-making. While it'd be nice to sell some knives eventually, I expect most of these will be either for personal use or for gifts.

Started 2021 with… Naniwa pro 1k and a new Takeda suji. No polishing experience, limited sharpening experience, looking through my pictures, first project was removing serrations from a POS sunbeam knife.

Ended up with like 7 new jnats, 6 new knives, and bunch of synthetic stones. You could say I’m firmly trapped in the rabbit hole, and never coming out. My interest in polishing and jnats really took off, mostly due to this forum. I honestly can’t believe where I started, and how much I’ve learned in all things knife related.

My biggest project was thinning out and correcting a Mazaki gyuto - huge lessons learned regarding how to judge and modify geometry and how that relates to real world use. Getting this knife to fall through stuff and pass HHT was easily my biggest accomplishment of the year.

JNATS
- amakusa
- binsui
- hard as balls ozuku
- mystery soft asagi
- hard suita
- soft shubou suita
- soft hideriyama
Looking for coarse options to start out the year, but who am I kidding? I don’t care what it is, I’ll sniff any jnat.

Knives
- Takeda suji
- TF denka 210
- masakage yuki honesuki
- Mazaki 240 gyuto
- Sakai Takayuki tall bunka
- Takeda NAS gyuto 270
- togashi white #1 yanagiba 300mm
Really want to try some forum favourites, currently attracted to Y tanaka, yoshikane, konosuke.. Been eyeing a deba or a single bevel honesuki to round out the collection, but since I don’t want to sell anything I’ve got to be somewhat selective.

May all your goals come to fruition in 2022!

2021 saw me finish my knife collection with five new knives, I definitely have everything I need but it is a bitter sweet feeling because there is so much more I want to try but I have to stop the addiction process at some point.

2022 I what to add a low grit stone and a couple of polishing stones to my collection and hopefully refurbish a few more knives this year, I have really enjoyed that part of my journey more than anything else.

I'm fairly sure this will never happen. I'm good with synths. They get my job done. Don't want to fall into another rabbit hole. God no...

Just… just do it. I for one would like to read your walls of text re: natural stones. Maybe one mysteriously shows up at your door.. they’re made of crack I tell you.

Appreciate the good words. But it's a whole other level of knowledge, and language, going into these. My walls of text would be lame and unhelpful to anyone trying to find his way into this.

Back