A Salt Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate/love you guys.. $110 in salts and oil after this thread and the olive oil thread lol. Excited to step up the kitchen game.

IMG_5499.jpeg

To be fair, the salt will be the minority cost of that lot.
Interested to hear what you think of them!
True! The salts have already been used and I LOVE the Murray as a finishing salt, sprinkled it on some crispy fried pork belly.. the graza I’m excited to use. I’ve been using Costco olive oil forever and it’s fine but it’s not very flavorful, I’m hoping this one is notably better and I’m curious to try the 2 types and see if there’s really any difference

Awesome! Glad you like the Murray River.
I recently found a Greek EVOO in the local shops and it’s flavour is way better than the Italians we can get out here (sadly Australia doesn’t have a huge number of Italian EVOO on the shelves).
We do have some good Aussie grown (but expensive) EVOO’s.

Of the Australian EVOOs, Cobram Estate is probably of the best. Not exactly cheap, but still reasonable, and good flavour. Comes in different strenghts/weights, and they occasionally do a special release of something unusual.

Awesome! Glad you like the Murray River.
I recently found a Greek EVOO in the local shops and it’s flavour is way better than the Italians we can get out here (sadly Australia doesn’t have a huge number of Italian EVOO on the shelves).
We do have some good Aussie grown (but expensive) EVOO’s.

Murray River salt is very good, but expensive.
Spanish finishing salt (the kind they put to season tapas in spain) is also very good, and cheap.

But I have more spices than salt. It's a bad habit when going to another country or to a Souk, I buy a ton of spices, but i don't have time to use it and they go stale in a few months. At least salt doesn't go bad. My wife has a bad habit of buying honeys when traveling. but honey doesn't go bad either..

Murray River salt is very good, but expensive.
Spanish finishing salt (the kind they put to season tapas in spain) is also very good, and cheap.

But I have more spices than salt. It's a bad habit when going to another country or to a Souk, I buy a ton of spices, but i don't have time to use it and they go stale in a few months. At least salt doesn't go bad. My wife has a bad habit of buying honeys when traveling. but honey doesn't go bad either..
try buy fresh harvested honey, and sample it...make mental notes and sample it again 6-8 weeks later...the 'origin'is gone....A friend of me keeps bees, and we were stunned by the spring flower honey (he just took a tiny sample from the hives), but a few weeks later most of the delicate flrals were gone.

Murray salt is a keeper for me, as finisher we don't use that much so even when it is way more expensive it'll stay!

try buy fresh harvested honey, and sample it...make mental notes and sample it again 6-8 weeks later...the 'origin'is gone....A friend of me keeps bees, and we were stunned by the spring flower honey (he just took a tiny sample from the hives), but a few weeks later most of the delicate flrals were gone.

Murray salt is a keeper for me, as finisher we don't use that much so even when it is way more expensive it'll stay!

i'll remind my wife this, she's the honey freak, but i doubt she will do it. she hasn't even opened the ones we bought 5 years ago..

if you like murray salt, you will like this salt from spain. i've only found it in boqueria market, barcelona. i'm sure elsewhere in spain, but no where else have i found it. for 400g it's just a few euros. mild and crispy. very good for finishing..
1716737662007.png
1716737691418.png

Air is the enemy. Handheld vacuum sealers are cheap; stuff sealed in vac sacs last a very long time. Use a VacuVin [also cheap] not just for wine but precious EVOO and Whiskey.

i've placed the bulk of them in airspace type containers, but the small ones i don't bother vac sealing. they are just in bottles. i don't want to go through the trouble of chamber sealing them, it's too many i can't be bothered with..

Of the Australian EVOOs, Cobram Estate is probably of the best. Not exactly cheap, but still reasonable, and good flavour. Comes in different strenghts/weights, and they occasionally do a special release of something unusual.
G’day Michi - I’ve found Mt Zero Olive Oil to be a bit nicer than Cobram Estate (although not as easy to find) after discussing this at length with a number of chefs in Melbourne. Mt Zero will be releasing their 2024 vintage EVOO in a few weeks, and if you order the bulk restaurant pack it works out much more cost effective than the Cobram Estate bottles - https://mountzeroolives.com/shop/picual-extra-virgin-olive-oil-2022-press-2l-and-15l-71

G’day Michi - I’ve found Mt Zero Olive Oil to be a bit nicer than Cobram Estate (although not as easy to find) after discussing this at length with a number of chefs in Melbourne. Mt Zero will be releasing their 2024 vintage EVOO in a few weeks, and if you order the bulk restaurant pack it works out much more cost effective than the Cobram Estate bottles - https://mountzeroolives.com/shop/picual-extra-virgin-olive-oil-2022-press-2l-and-15l-71
Hey, thanks for the heads-up! I'll order a pack.

@Nemo - Wow! Red gum smoked! That will be like a camping trip! Is the red gum over powering? I’ve got some chicory smoked salt which is great for things like chilis / curries / stews.
I wouldn't say overpowering. Noticible but not overpowering. It's more of a savoury flavour than a bushfire flavour.

Okay, okay, I’ve got it on order now!
I’m looking forward to trying it.

Arrived!
IMG_3049.jpeg

Big thanks to @Nemo and @Michi for the recommendation. Currently eating it on fried eggs for dinner. I see what you mean it’s not the nostalgic campfire bush smell or taste I was expecting but much more versatile. I’m going to keep trialling it on different stuff to see what it works well with. I reckon it would be great for stews and curries. It’s got way more flavour than my previous hickory smoked salt.
Thanks!

So I tried a few types of himalaya salt for a while. The 'fine' preground stuff is a no-go because it's too fine, making dosage more difficult. Also not overly excited about it for other purposes; the pink color actually comes through, which isn't always ideal. Might actually go back to French grey microplastic salt.

Arrived!
View attachment 325030
Big thanks to @Nemo and @Michi for the recommendation. Currently eating it on fried eggs for dinner. I see what you mean it’s not the nostalgic campfire bush smell or taste I was expecting but much more versatile. I’m going to keep trialling it on different stuff to see what it works well with. I reckon it would be great for stews and curries. It’s got way more flavour than my previous hickory smoked salt.
Thanks!
I like it in braises and soups.

Back