And another thing about Globals...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this some years back

and for some reason always think of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders
when I recall it.

A great product? Debatable (see ⬆️)
Great marketing? Absolutely 💪🏽👊🏻

Excellent!

He’s certainly got the measure of us y-chromosome crowd eh.

198FDA75-8234-4EF6-AA7E-6F84653DECE9.png

Pure speculation, but it's possible they adjusted their heat treatment over time to accomodate their growing popularity amongst untrained home chefs who are more likely to abuse their knives than trained professionals.
You clearly have worked with a different set of trained professionals than the ones I've worked with. I've seen knives (including globals) destroyed by professionals in ways that amateurs would never attempt.

You clearly have worked with a different set of trained professionals than the ones I've worked with. I've seen knives (including globals) destroyed by professionals in ways that amateurs would never attempt.
Knife.....or can opener multi-tool wrench hammer...

@cotedupy I have had very similar sharpening experiences with the aforementioned Global.

One of the last ones I sharpened had the long lines of steel detaching from the edge. I think the owner of said knife had been using a pull through sharpener and I was wondering if the steel was micro-fracturing behind the edge because of the pull through?

I have an old global boning knife from the mid 90s that sharpens ok but I have sharpened many that don't (including some bad knock offs) from my understanding they have been made from a few steels over the years and so there could be a variance of knives over time.

They generally take a beating and the finish doesn't get too messed up so I think the masses like them. My enthusiasm drops when I get one in for sharpening though.

Here then, in the interest of balance and fairness I suppose, is the flip side. A couple of days ago someone brought these knives in, and when I first saw them I wanted to shoot her.

View attachment 247869

It was like she'd gone out of her way to collect all of the most annoying to sharpen knives in the world, and then topped it off with a pair of bloody kitchen scissors.

But you know what... they were almost all a doddle. She'd looked after them properly, and it was good steel that took nice edges well and easily. Yes - even the silly little hook-shaped parer, even the long floppy slicing knife. If all Globals and their owners were like this, I would have no quarrel with them whatsoever.

The only slight issue was the yanagiba, which I think was a tad ambitious for the brand. I was amazed when I first put it on a stone to see that whoever had sharpened it previously had gone to the effort of totally flattening the main bevel and uraoshi so that it could be sharpened just like a real yanagiba. Alas that endeavour had proven an exercise of near-Sisphyean futility. Because: does even the better end of Global steel hold an edge at yanagi type total bevel angles? Does it f***.

This is one the unfortunate things about Globals, in that they come quite fat BTE, with high sharpening angles. But for a good reason; they don't take to being thinned very well, the steel loses integrity unless it's quite thick. And you end up with edges that look like microchippy, crumbly, ragged-burry crap.

View attachment 247870

The yanagi just required some fairly heavy microbevelling to clean it up, so no harm done really. And overall a perfectly acceptable set of knives, even if they were all the stupidest shapes.
Wonder how it would work to turn them into single bevel :*)

I fear that the visual image of that tapeworm burr will stay with me forever.

I have a few Globals -- the dimpled "Santoku," another smaller Santoku-like thing, a filet knife, a highly-serrated cheese knife (bet you'd love to sharpen that one), a small paring knife. They sit invitingly in the on-counter "Hey Guest! Look! Knives you can use! Treat them however you like!" knife block that I use as a protective decoy. The only one I ever use myself is the cheese knife.

I also have, God only knows why, one of those bird beak paring knives, never used nor sharpened, and a long slicer that has never been out of its box.

All of these were acquired during an ignorant "I should get better knives" phase, long ago. Never learned to like any of them, except the cheese knife, though I do actually like the handles in my hand.

It has probably been a good 15 years since I bought any of these, and they are consistent on the stones. By "consistent," I mean "consistently annoying if you try using anything other than diamonds to sharpen them." Worst stones of all were the otherwise-favorite Shapton Glass, which the Globals seemed to regard as some sort of slippery skating rink. Also I cannot get to a really good edge on the steel, ever, only an adequate edge.

I used to think my G2 was the bees knees....until I tried sharpening it, tried a Lansky sharpening kit...gotnowhere , then started searching the internet and got some wiser

I still sharpen the Wife's Global (she refuses to let go) every now and then and although it's easy enough it feels like wielding a blunt object

Last edited:
Get yourself a buffer a fine stitch mop and a cutting compound, deburring global made simple. Then a couple strokes on a 1k to put some teeth back on the edge, and done.

I do actually use this exact method on cheap stainless sometimes. The problem is that the variation in Globals' steel means they aren't that simple all the time, ime. Different sets of knives require some quite markedly different sharpening.

I fear that the visual image of that tapeworm burr will stay with me forever.

Haha! Those knives were bizarre, and tbh that's the only time I've not managed form some kind of usable edge. The steel was outright faulty, and not just down at the edge either, I repeated the 'burr' formation and pulling off at least 3 or 4 times. There just wouldn't have been any knife left if I'd continued for 10 minutes.

If I were to make a generalisation though - my experiences would be quite similar to what you say: Most Globals will take an adequate, but very rarely particularly good, edge. They often dislike a lot of otherwise very good stones. And actually now that you mention it - yes, I've never had any luck with either the SG500 or SG1k, which are pretty fast and reliable stones for basically anything else.

Loved the Global success story. Amazed he was successful. Fantastic marketing. Never could imagine buying a knife for my home kitchen, tho.

Coming from an art/design background, I've a lot of appreciation for the iconic design of GLOBAL knives—still do, but never had the chance to try one. Top-notch steel and performance aren’t always my primary considerations for buying a kitchen knife—I've got more stellar knives in my collection to last a lifetime.
There're great, functional orange juicers on the market, but I'm dying to get an Alessi/Phillipe Starck orange juicer simply for the uber cool design.
Admittedly, when I transitioned from western-made knives, I skipped over a lot of the usual suspects in my J-knife journey—haven't tried Shun, GLOBAL, Miyabi—pretty much went from Wustof/Sabatier, to Masamoto, to Kono Fujiyama, to Kato, to Shig (the latter three gotten when they were comparatively cheap), etc.
Eventually wanna grab a GLOBAL chef knife. Although not too popular in the KKF sphere, GLOBALs do have legions of fans. Don't get me wrong—I'm not championing GLOBALs, but merely putting into context my interest in them.
Bottom line, I've cooked with awful, dull $5 knives in other people's kitchens; would try ANY knife on my cutting board, ...wouldn't hesitate taking up the offer to prep a meal with a Chelsea Miller for example.

identifying-anthony-bourdains-global-knife-v0-nv89hi1hijj81.jpg

Coming from an art/design background, I've a lot of appreciation for the iconic design of GLOBAL knives—still do, but never had the chance to try one. Top-notch steel and performance aren’t always my primary considerations for buying a kitchen knife—I've got more stellar knives in my collection to last a lifetime.

Even if their aesthetics aren't necessarily for me, I can certainly appreciate the sentiment of being able to appreciate design separate from functionality. In the same way - I think the Opinel no.8 is probably the most beautifully and perfectly designed knife ever made, even though Opinel carbon steel is barely hardened.

One of my other issues with Globals though, is this... I think the iconic design severely and needlessly detracts from their functionality. If you have a knife that's being championed by the likes of Tony Bourdain for its general efficacy, and fitness for purpose then those handles are surely terrible?!

I've never worked BOH, maybe lots of chefs do love them(?). But Global handles are well slippery, and worse - all those holes are gonna be almost impossible to dry and clean from bacterial build-up. I'm sure that's more of a concern now than it was in the '90s, though even so: I don't think I could design a worse knife handle for use in a pro kitchen.

I want this one... ;)

Screenshot 2023-06-17 175630.jpg

Last edited:
Opinel 8 actually has a surprisingly good grind too for the price. They're actually good cutters.

Never held a global so I don't know the ergonomics but at least their design is unique and distinctive.

I bought a Global simply because it was the sharpest knife in the shop AND I liked the looks...The problem, at least where I live is that most folks use a peeling knife that does not set you back more than 5 bucks for all cutting chores....Regular shops carry little more than the stuff you see on Ali, damascus print knives, 'ceramic' knifes, knifes all coated green , whatever....

Now I've discovered proper knives it is even more clear how little most shops offer. Hanos, a wholesale higher-end chain supply for restaurants does not carry a single knife I'd lose an hour's worth of sleep over. Heck I don't even think they carry a single decent stone, all I ever saw there was a 'sharpening' rod.

Even if their aesthetics aren't necessarily for me, I can certainly appreciate the sentiment of being able to appreciate design separate from functionality. In the same way - I think the Opinel no.8 is probably the most beautifully and perfectly designed knife ever made, even though Opinel carbon steel is barely hardened.

My issue with Globals is this... I think the iconic design severely and needlessly detracts from their functionality. If you have a knife that's being championed by the likes of Tony Bourdain for use for its general efficacy, and fitness for purpose then those handles are surely terrible?!

I've never worked BOH, maybe lots of chefs do love them(?). But Global handles are well slippery, and worse - all those holes are gonna be almost impossible to dry and clean from bacterial build-up. I'm sure that's more of a concern now than it was in the '90s, though even so: I don't think I could design a worse knife handle for use in a pro kitchen.

I want this one... ;)

View attachment 249229
TBH, I'm not at all concerned with the slipper handles, or potential bacteria buildup, with GLOBAL. If I got one, it's not likely to replace any of the chef's knives I already have—would be low on the pecking order of knives I'd grab when prepping for a supper party. Just interested in trying one, beholding one as cool looking, innovative design object.

These probably aren't the most efficient or hygienic knives on the market, but would be cool to play with.
View attachment 249247

For sure!

Someone brought in these very cool old Sheffield butcher's a couple of months ago. Seriously beaten up, chipped, and rusted, but I tried to do the restoration preserving as much patina and character as possible. And for that reason I didn't remove the over-steeling either, which made them a bit of a ballache to sharpen after tbh. Big knives too, I'd say something like 320 and 280.

George Butler on top, Southern and Richardson below.

IMG-6527.jpg

For sure!

Someone brought in these very cool old Sheffield butcher's a couple of months ago. Seriously beaten up, chipped, and rusted, but I tried to do the restoration preserving as much patina and character as possible. And for that reason I didn't remove the over-steeling either, which made them a bit of a ballache to sharpen after. Big knives too, I'd say something like 310 and 280.

George Butler on top, Southern and Richardson below.

View attachment 249251
Ah, dig them—love the handle on the top one.

Ah, dig them—love the handle on the top one.

Yeah, interesting isn't it. I've handled a few old Sheffield butcher's knives, not millions but a fair few, and I can't recall ever having seen that handle design on any others. Would've loved to have had those two for myself tbh!

(George Butler also a seriously good razor maker. I've got a few really good old GB straights.)

I know that on KKF, there's a lot of emphasis on using the most appropriate knife for any given kitchen task, efficiency, performance, etc. But sometimes it's fun to use whatever to cut whatever. Was chuffed at this dessert knife a gust brought to a past bbq party.
266CA403-D86C-49A4-B288-A94452E6E30F.jpg

There're great, functional orange juicers on the market, but I'm dying to get an Alessi/Phillipe Starck orange juicer simply for the uber cool design.
Admittedly, when I transitioned from western-made knives, I skipped over a lot of the usual suspects in my J-knife journey—haven't tried Shun, GLOBAL, Miyabi—pretty much went from Wustof/Sabatier, to Masamoto, to Kono Fujiyama, to Kato, to Shig (the latter three gotten when they were comparatively cheap), etc.
Eventually wanna grab a GLOBAL chef knife. Although not too popular in the KKF sphere, GLOBALs do have legions of fans. Don't get me wrong—I'm not championing GLOBALs, but merely putting into context my interest in them.
Bottom line, I've cooked with awful, dull $5 knives in other people's kitchens; would try ANY knife on my cutting board, ...wouldn't hesitate taking up the offer to prep a meal with a Chelsea Miller for example.

View attachment 249219

Bourdain might have been photographed with those so people at Les Halles wouldn’t be tempted to steal his knives….

I suspect that most ‘line chefs’ aren’t using hobbyist or collector knives. On one of the defunct knife forums of yore, a line chef really liked Masahiro Virgin Carbons once they were smoothed and maybe thinned a little. MVC were cheap, easily replaceable, and held a decent edge through a shift. If it got damaged or ‘lost’, no big deal.

That kind of prompted me to try one and they’re quite good, a honyaki carbon. I went to work on my 180mm Masahiro VC gyuto to see if I could turn a $75 knife (then) into a $450 (then) knife by hand, like the Japanese sword guys do. The answer was yes, if you didn’t mind earning 10 cents an hour or less for your labor. I thinned it, then put it through a sword polishing regimen, as best that I could duplicate it, with an uchigumori finish.

View attachment 249219
Design in kitchen knives, even when it works, seems to be under-appreciated, or even frowned upon by some. Wusthof barely succeeded with their Classic Ikon design upgrade, but went too far with their award winning Xline, called Wusthof Precision here in the USA. Tojiro has struggled with their Flash series handles. The beauty of the Shun dual core has been so intimidating that some purchasers are reluctant to use it.

Back